• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[Discussion] Your views on religion.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 11,167
  • Replies 196

CoinKillerL

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's exactly what a bot would say. I didn't ask for you to prove the complexity of your posts, I asked for you to prove the objective existence of your consciousness. I think this may be a bit much for you though.
ahhhhh,i exists,but it's not possible to prove that i exist in a forum. And let's stop flame and forget all of this shit that happned here

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is this wonderful thing called a Neural Network system that is used in AI that learns from example.

There is no way to objectively prove you exist without showing yourself to us in person, shaking hands with us, and having a discussion. Try all you want.
Even then, that doesn't prove you exist to me, it only proves that I am shaking hands with something that I observe to be a human being. That does not mean that it is definitively a conscious being like myself. The world could just as easily be a simulation where I am the only one to exist.

Rene Descartes really threw a massive wrench into the whole "can't see it don't real" meme that idiots like to use.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ahhhhh,i exists,but it's not possible to prove that i exist in a forum. And let's stop flame and forget all of this shit that happned here
No, you evidently don't exist. I can't see your consciousness. You can't prove it exists relative to my own, as I cannot exist through your body and see through your consciousness, only my own. Thus, for all intents and purposes, you do not exist relative to me. Since you cannot be proven to exist, I have no reason to believe you do.

Reactions: DeoNaught

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is this wonderful thing called a Neural Network system that is used in AI that learns from example.

There is no way to objectively prove you exist without showing yourself to us in person, shaking hands with us, and having a discussion. Try all you want.
And if you want to take this to the extreme there is no way to prove he exists even if he does all of this - i.e. he meets you in person etc

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
No, you evidently don't exist. I can't see your consciousness. You can't prove it exists relative to my own, as I cannot exist through your body and see through your consciousness, only my own. Thus, for all intents and purposes, you do not exist relative to me. Since you cannot be proven to exist, I have no reason to believe you do.
we could all be simulations. what is real and is not real is up for debate to be honest.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And if you want to take this to the extreme there is no way to prove he exists even if he does all of this - i.e. he meets you in person etc
You can go even further, he can't even prove that he is as you observe him to be. Descartes' "I think, therefore I am" philosophy is incredibly interesting and I encourage everyone -- even the "DON'T SEE IT DON'T REAL" fedora tippers to read into this. The world could just as easily be a fake simulation fooling our senses (which only exist to take in the information they are given, whether it's real or not, hence the existence of hallucinations) and we'd have no way of proving it because our senses are generally so consistent with what's observed.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you go string theory, then every for of you that didn't shake hands with you does.. and does not exist. :D

Sorry.. Just wanted to be good there.

I will say this.. having holy water splashed in my face was probably one of the wirdiest moments in my life. Then the inability to even laugh, just standing there dumbfound as I was asked why I wasn't burning or melting.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we could all be simulations. what is real and is not real is up for debate to be honest.
Your avatar could really just be an inverted color version of my own, but my eyes may simply wrongly perceive it to be from king of the hill.
Reality is not as set-in-stone as people like to think it is, or rather, as people take it for granted as being.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*pushes up glasses, adjusts bowler hat [WHICH IS NOT A FEDORA STOP OWNING ME CHRISTIANUTUBER2003]*
heh, dum religion people....didnt u no? bad things happen, so relgion r false!!!

This has been like the primary go-to argument of clowns and I've never understood it. Do any religious texts for the major religions say that their deity is supposed to be a super hero who saved literally everyone and prevents nothing bad from happening? I don't think I've read that anywhere but people seem to keep arguing points against such a non-existent line.
You are risking a strawman, and chucking insults around does not help your cause, though the quoted post is not without flaw either.
Taking that first.
" The lack of hiding behind the claws of "It's gods will" etc. is such a bad excuse for a despicable behaviour from a lot of people."
The will of the gods thing is usually taken more for happenstance and bad things that happen to people (30 year old getting cancer sort of thing), not personal action which is what your phrase could be interpreted as. Though historically there are a few examples I guess of people using it for personal ends (it is a god's will that I survive in my nice plate armour to slay a few heathen infidels for you) I will have to assume we have free will as part of this, though mechanically that gets troubling a bit later.

I agree entirely that it is an incredibly dangerous mindset both on a practical level (how much science gets done now we stopped accepting/treating diseases like those in 1600 might have) and a philosophical level. If your religion encourages such thinking then I consider it flawed. by similar token an all seeing, all knowing, all powerful being creating creatures like those we see and are, and then doing nothing about it said being is not a nice being.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are risking a strawman, and chucking insults around does not help your cause, though the quoted post is not without flaw either.
Taking that first.
" The lack of hiding behind the claws of "It's gods will" etc. is such a bad excuse for a despicable behaviour from a lot of people."
The will of the gods thing is usually taken more for happenstance and bad things that happen to people (30 year old getting cancer sort of thing), not personal action which is what your phrase could be interpreted as. Though historically there are a few examples I guess of people using it for personal ends (it is a god's will that I survive in my nice plate armour to slay a few heathen infidels for you) I will have to assume we have free will as part of this, though mechanically that gets troubling a bit later.

I agree entirely that it is an incredibly dangerous mindset both on a practical level (how much science gets done now we stopped accepting/treating diseases like those in 1600 might have) and a philosophical level. If your religion encourages such thinking then I consider it flawed. by similar token an all seeing, all knowing, all powerful being creating creatures like those we see and are, and then doing nothing about it said being is not a nice being.
The religion doesn't though, idiots just think it does. A lot of pseudo intellectual atheists get really, really surface level when it comes to the iceberg that is religious philosophy. There's infinitely more at play than just what happens to mortals.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taking that first.

The best argument for lack of a compassionate Christian god is the holocaust.
The religion doesn't though, idiots just think it does. A lot of pseudo intellectual atheists get really, really surface level when it comes to the iceberg that is religious philosophy. There's infinitely more at play than just what happens to mortals.
>There's infinitely more at play than just what happens to mortals.
Source?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
But does Religion still belong in the 21st century? Isn't it passé now when we got a lot of social coverage and other means to care for our fellow man than hopes of a scripture?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.