Hacking Do not buy digitally from Eshop on 4.X

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They did a maintenance last night, which was likely the cutoff point.

Really weird that they let you purchase software that they won't let you download, though. I expect there isn't any recourse, given that you are free to update.

No, no! This is good! Remember how the 3DS wouldn't let you access the eShop if you weren't updated, wouldn't let you purchase a game if you didn't have the storage space to download it right there and then, and wouldn't even tell you how much space you needed if you hadn't added the funds to your account? It was a draconian process and it was a really big hassle when there was sales on.

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No.

It's been blocked since.

Go try to download something, anything from the eshop. You won't be able to, not even something you had previously purchased.

You can no longer download software on 4.1.0. period. Anybody who is saying I bought this or I downloaded this after 5.0.0 dropped was fortunate.

Hell I bought Azure Stryker after 5.0.0 fine and downloaded but no longer.

DO NOT buy anything from eshop on 4.1.0. You will regret it.
I SAID "or they found out the "loophole" and block it."
it certained not now, but it's indeed possible after 5.0 dropped until sometime around this post came out.

I bought that game the day after 5.0 released... we had 2-3 grace days I think.

Reactions: Risingdawn

Risingdawn

Tempallica
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I SAID "or they found out the "loophole" and block it."
it certained not now, but it's indeed possible after 5.0 dropped until sometime around this post came out.

I bought that game the day after 5.0 released... we had 2-3 grace days I think.
It's cool :) I misunderstood what you meant as English isn't your first language.

That's not a criticism, I wouldn't be able to write anything at all in another language so still kudos to you :) .

I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and buy something, with hope in their heart, only to be disappointed.

It's shitty of Ninty to allow anyone to purchase something on 4.1.0 but not download it. I can't quite believe that adheres to our rights as a consumer to be honest, but there goes. If I had spent alot of money I'd be asking for a refund for sure.

Reactions: Sonansune

Risingdawn

Tempallica
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if it's still possible to update physical games on 4.1.0 :unsure:
I imagine only if you can do it locally with someone who has the update, no idea how that works. As for downloading everything is now locked into 5.0.0.

I think Nintendo is fully aware just how far their Switch is about to be blown wide open, and are taking serious steps in damage mitigation.

They don't really want another NUS situation where anyone can grab stuff from their servers, seeing as piracy is almost inevitable at this point. How far they succeed is anyone's guess.

I think @SciresM has stuck a rocket up Nintys arse this time round, and they are pretty desperately trying to yank it out before it blasts off.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing their really is a grace period. Because yesterday I could do everything on 4.1 still. Unless they did this specifically because Kirby released.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Confirmed, on Thursday I could access eshop, get some demos, and they downloaded successfully, but today (Friday) I accessed eshop, chose more demos but they failed to download, with the same message as in the OP. Glad I found out before I tried to buy a game.

Luckily I also updated Mario yesterday. Guess I won't be able to update any further physical games for the foreseeable tho, which kinda sucks for Bomberman which I've been wanting and which has had significant playability improvements in updates as well as extra content. Don't suppose anyone knows if they've put an updated version of Bomberman on any more recent cartridge batches?

igpltv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it means that yes
internal-screaming-gif-14.gif

Risingdawn

Tempallica
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how do you get older revsions of switch games that work on 4.10 once nintendo makes all the carts 5.0.0 plus
I don't know that Nintendo do full-scale revisions of carts like that, maybe for the big titles.
I think there's a thread with serial numbers for carts and the FW required, look up the serial number before purchasing, and probably go pre-owned too.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't know that Nintendo do full-scale revisions of carts like that, maybe for the big titles.
I think there's a thread with serial numbers for carts and the FW required, look up the serial number before purchasing, and probably go pre-owned too.
problem is the game cases don't have the numbers on them an the carts are behind the counter.

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I don't believe you are under any obligation to update and the fact you have bought software that won't run on 4.1 when it's not stated on the sales page may very well legally entitle you to a refund..

I'd like to pretend I was being completely selfless and taking one for the team, truth is I just didn't want to get burned on Kirby lol.

The eShop states the digital software purchased are non refundable. Been that way for some time .

Risingdawn

Tempallica
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The eShop states the digital software purchased are non refundable. Been that way for some time .
True, but at the same time you have statutory rights as a consumer that any product purchased should be in good working order and sold as advertised.

If software allow you to purchase it on 4.1 but is not made accessble to you, unless it is stated on the purchase agreement, you would be able to contest the sale in a small claims court. Regardless of what 'refund policy' Nintendo have in place, that is not legally binding.

However who could be arsed going through that lol, Nintendo would refund before that though but still.

Also Nintendo will refund any digital purchase within 2 hours if it has not been used once, that is a legal requirement to safeguard human error/fraud.

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't play Splatoon 2 online anymore on 4.1.0.
XV2 is still okay tho

Have you downloaded the latest update for Splatoon 2?

Yeah, I just tried and was able to play a match of Splatoon 2 on FW 4.1.0 (Splatoon version 2.3.2) as of 8:14PM ET, 2018/3/17. It seems like we'll be able to play online until another game update is released hopefully (which could be any time of course...) Splat while you can!!!

Last edited by Ichii Giki,

JustBrandonT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's weird.. Some of you can't play but others still can.. I am able to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online still.. I never updated it.. Still on 4.1.0.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWb8Lb89dzg