Hacking Do the r4 clones take r4 firmware

Fatboy12345236

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 4gb MicroSD card and would like to know the following:

1: I know r4 does not take MicroSDHC cards and the clones do
2: I also know that ALOT of the time because r4 is popular rom patches and stuff like that come out
3: So do the r4 clones take the "patched" r4 firmware?
4: are the r4 clones a good choice for price and stuff

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no i suggest not buying a r4 clone they are just worthless pieces of crap with low build quality and can destriy yout ds i wanna throw em off this planet!
You should buy the acekard 2i(even if you have a ds lite because its stronger)
and if you dont care about money get a cyclods its expensive but is the best cart ever
none of them require patching just update to the newest firmware and all games hsould work

DONT GET ANY R4 NOT EVEN THE R4 RTS It HASNT EVEN GOT A SINGLE UPDATE SINCE ITS LAUNCH!

R4 SUCKZ

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
R4i-SDHC (red box). I can confirm this clone works (actually a TTDS clone), and amazingly well. 100% nds compatability so far, and it has run every homebrew and emulator I've thrown at it. People here will tell you to stay away from the R4 name because alot of them do suck, but they never bother telling you which ones are bad, or why, and I'll bet most of them don't actually know, and are blindly repeating whatever they're initially told.

R4i-SDHC (red box) does the job very well, and is down to $12 on DealExtreme.

@ Rockstar99 - The R4 RTS didn't come out very long ago, and they HAVE updated the firmware. Not sure why you'd make such a fuss over it anyway, as my friend never had a problem with his original firmware.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rockstar99 said:
its a ttds clone right so might as well get a dstt only why a clone?

Because it's what I use, so I can confirm it works well. It bears the R4 logo, so it falls into the R4 clones catagory more often than the TTDS catagory.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes but why get a fake if you can easiliy get the original and the original dstt will be better because they dont get briked with officail firmware and that r4 clone might harm your ds but the original dstt cant

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As you asked the question - why DO R4's suck

1) There are just too many with the same or very similar names - a noob nightmare

2) Most - YES Most are based on the original firmware (in that the menu and looks are the same or very similar) well in the last two years, times have moved on, there are a lot better user interfaces out there now. So - they look and feel poor in operation, compared to a better flashcart.

3) Updates, which are being updated and which aren't - difficult to say unless you look through the full list of them at http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/ and there are a number with a single initial firmware and that's it - nothing else.

4) Due to name similarities, you can order a flashcart one week, order another from the same source a week later and it is different, needing different firmware. The supplier has no idea that the two he supplied you are different. So you cannot say you are getting a particular R4 - yes currently you say - the red box one, why do you say that - because there is already 12 R4i's on the market.

However - and this is the biggie - if you get yours working, by the nature of the product and what it does, you will think that it is fantastic. As very few people have more than one sort of flashcart they have nothing to compare them to.

So if you get your R4 working (and there are loads that dont, see - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/725065 for just a few) it will seem great, but due to the firmware issues and the number of them around the advise should be

Unless you are 100% sure of what you are getting, get something other than an R4. If you are a noob - avoid them all like the plague

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rockstar99 said:
yes but why get a fake if you can easiliy get the original and the original dstt will be better because they dont get briked with officail firmware and that r4 clone might harm your ds but the original dstt cant
Because this one won't break anything or brick your DS, and I can confirm it. You're throwing out problems that this card doesn't have as a basis for not getting it. I don't own an original TTDS, so I'm not gonna recommend it, because for all I know, it blows.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Think of it this way why get fakes when you have the option to get something better like the ak2 or the cyclods the r4 lacks interface and updates

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rockstar99 said:
Think of it this way why get fakes when you have the option to get something better like the ak2 or the cyclods the r4 lacks interface and updates
Because he asked about the R4 name. R4i-SDHC has had at least 4 firmware updates since I bought it (1 every 5-30 days), has an easy-to-use interface, and easily supports custom skins. It's a great card, and you keep dumping on it, though it's clear you've never used one. Know the facts before you bash.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When i say
interface i mean other carts interface blows the r4 away like the cylods and acekard an the god is m3 sakura
updates the r4i sdhc just like alll clons has a chance of dying someday but carts like the ak2 and cyclo dont beacuse ak2 has akaio for it and the cyclo has a great team

And im not dumping on it im just saying the ak2 and cyclo are superior

hackermatt1337

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
OKAY, srrsly, for all those r4 haters out their, i'v litteraly bought 24 of them, and sold them all to freinds, and i mean the r4 sdhc's which are the clones... ALL OF THEM WORKED, so if i were you, i'd buy them, because, their is nothing wrong with them, their good, you just got to know what your doing

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rockstar99 said:
When i say
interface i mean other carts interface blows the r4 away like the cylods and acekard an the god is m3 sakura
updates the r4i sdhc just like alll clons has a chance of dying someday but carts like the ak2 and cyclo dont beacuse ak2 has akaio for it and the cyclo has a great team

And im not dumping on it im just saying the ak2 and cyclo are superior
Teams behind "real" cards can die out too, and citing that as a reason not to get it when support has been stellar is strange and purely speculatory. Do you personally own every card you've mentioned, including the R4i SDHC? If you haven't owned the card, stop declaring things superior to it. It might be superior, but quite frankly, you don't really know.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes i own a dstt cyclo and ak2 and have tried out most real carts and those 3 were my faves so i bought em ive seen videos off the red box r4i and for me its nothingspecial comapered to other carts

bobdog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I made noob mistake of buying an r4
hate2.gif
. Don't do it buy a cyclod. I haven't found a game it won't play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :wacko: