Hacking Do Wii u games and Wii games require separate drives?

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
that will work, as long as you have the ticket installed on WiiU NAND.
you can dump your drive with whatever works for you (linux, WUP server or ftpiiu)

the current issue with the beta is that you can't install a game using wup installer directly to the FAT32 (because FAT32 library doesn't understand file's rights and quota)
Perhaps we need a fork of wup installer gx2 which just installs the ticket onto the nand then decrypts the game into the USB in the right directory.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wii games on SD doesn't work with USBLoaderGX, but should work with Wiiflow and CFGLoader.
Wii game on SD doesn't work with d2x v10-alt (r53), you need r52.
some game might not work from SD. (it triggers an antipiracy check)

Just buy an hard drive! format it to FAT32, hide it with Ustealth. use it for Wii and gamecube. (don't need SD for gamecube)
plug only one drive at a time.
Both drives plugged in at once should work though, as long as the Wii/GC drive is hidden with uStealth and is the first drive (top rear port), no?

Perhaps we need a fork of wup installer gx2 which just installs the ticket onto the nand then decrypts the game into the USB in the right directory.
Seems like there might not be a way on Wii U to install just the ticket like there is on 3DS. At least, no one's figured it out yet. Otherwise it would have been a simple matter, you wouldn't even need to decrypt/extract the game content on Wii U, since that can be done on a PC.
Man, posting that gave me deja vu, feels like I've posted a very similar post at least once before.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Seems like there might not be a way on Wii U to install just the ticket like there is on 3DS. At least, no one's figured it out yet.
This is done by wup installer itself, in every installable package you have a .tik file.
Btw install code, content and meta directly from PC should be ideal.

Last edited by Billy Acuña,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is done by wup installer itself, in every installable package you have a .tik file.
Btw install code, content and meta directly from PC should be ideal.
Yes, but the way WUPInstaller works is it just hands all the files to a system function. Said function doesn't work unless all the files are present, and is only able to install the full package.
Edit: Read the MCP section on http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Coreinit.rpl
I'm guessing those are the functions WUPInstaller uses. And there's nothing there for installing tickets, only for installing titles by providing a path.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, but the way WUPInstaller works is it just hands all the files to a system function. Said function doesn't work unless all the files are present, and is only able to install the full package.
Edit: Read the MCP section on http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Coreinit.rpl
I'm guessing those are the functions WUPInstaller uses. And there's nothing there for installing tickets, only for installing titles by providing a path.
Tiks goes here:
/vol/system/rights/ticket/apps/

But not sure if tickets are decrypted on installation.

Stinkerbell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My Setup:
2x 500gb HDD Drives with y cable
Front: Drive for Wii U Games
Back: Drive for vwii (Wii & GC Games) Hidden with ustealth!
Ich have Connected both in the Same time WITHOUT Problems!

racertj5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Setup:
2x 500gb HDD Drives with y cable
Front: Drive for Wii U Games
Back: Drive for vwii (Wii & GC Games) Hidden with ustealth!
Ich have Connected both in the Same time WITHOUT Problems!
You guys have me tempted to get rid of the adapter I have and trade it for the gcn to wiimote one. Except I don't know if the analog triggers would work

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You guys have me tempted to get rid of the adapter I have and trade it for the gcn to wiimote one. Except I don't know if the analog triggers would work
They should, theroetically.
The original Classic Controller has analog triggers, which should mean that the triggers are treated as analog by the firmware.
There would be no reason for someone to make a Classic Controller to GC adapter, and send the analog triggers as if they were digital.
But Chinese companies will do weird things sometimes, so who knows.
The Mayflash one is fairly popular, so if you ask around I'm sure you can find someone that has one and is willing to test (or has already tested) if it supports analog triggers.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tiks goes here:
/vol/system/rights/ticket/apps/

But not sure if tickets are decrypted on installation.
WUP installer only rewrite the /nand/install/ folder path to sd/install/ folder path, and trigger the official installation fonction.
the console look in the new path, sees app/h3/tik files so it decides to install the content to the user selected location.

Like you noted, the ticket is installed (copied) into /vol/system/rights/ticket/apps/
you could try to install a game to USB by extracting and copying the game manually (JnusTool with extracted option, or wud decrypters, app decrypters, etc.) with your computer's file explorer.
then, manually copy the ticket to the NAND.
see if it's detected as installed !

On Wii, the ticket file alone wasn't enough, you had to edit another file to register the ticket as bought. maybe WiiU has the same kind of file that you need to edit, or maybe not. I think nobody tried !

it might have something to do with "tik2sd", that program can tell you which TitleID is linked to each ticket. I don't know if tik2sd just parse each ticket to find the titleID or if there's another file involved. would have to look at the sources.

Both drives plugged in at once should work though, as long as the Wii/GC drive is hidden with uStealth and is the first drive (top rear port), no?
Yes, and no.
the plugged order would be important, as vWii cIOS mount USBPort in incrementing order and vWii IOS58 mount USBPort in reverse order. When using nintendont it would try to mount the WiiU HDD if it's plugged in a higher port.
users are having issues when they don't understand how to plug 2 or 3 drives at the same time to get everything working correctly.
there's a way, but it's always specific, and it's hard to always re-think about it. I should make it public, people always come to ask me in PM, I'm tired of PMing useful info 50 times instead of making it public once.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
WUP installer only rewrite the /nand/install/ folder path to sd/install/ folder path, and trigger the official installation fonction.
the console look in the new path, sees app/h3/tik files so it decides to install the content to the user selected location.

Like you noted, the ticket is installed (copied) into /vol/system/rights/ticket/apps/
you could try to install a game to USB by extracting and copying the game manually (JnusTool with extracted option, or wud decrypters, app decrypters, etc.) with your computer's file explorer.
then, manually copy the ticket to the NAND.
see if it's detected as installed !

On Wii, the ticket file alone wasn't enough, you had to edit another file to register the ticket as bought. maybe WiiU has the same kind of file that you need to edit, or maybe not. I think nobody tried !

it might have something to do with "tik2sd", that program can tell you which TitleID is linked to each ticket. I don't know if tik2sd just parse each ticket to find the titleID or if there's another file involved. would have to look at the sources.

Yes, and no.
the plugged order would be important, as vWii cIOS mount USBPort in incrementing order and vWii IOS58 mount USBPort in reverse order. When using nintendont it would try to mount the WiiU HDD if it's plugged in a higher port.
users are having issues when they don't understand how to plug 2 or 3 drives at the same time to get everything working correctly.
there's a way, but it's always specific, and it's hard to always re-think about it. I should make it public, people always come to ask me in PM, I'm tired of PMing useful info 50 times instead of making it public once.
The only additional path is oddTikVolPath (which is used for disc tickets) and is stated on: https://github.com/FIX94/tik2sd/blob/master/src/main.cpp

Edit: I will test once I have access to my wiiu, but can test it will be helpeful to make some kind of PC tool which automates the process. For the ticket process I recommend to copypasta the .tío onto the nand and if doesn't work try chmod on the tik.

Last edited by Billy Acuña,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
instead of using WUP installer with Mocha beta, what could be developed is a homebrew which decrypt the game install (.app) and copy the files to FAT32 devices using FAT32 libraries, then copy the ticket to NAND.

How did you get nintendont to work with both drives plugged in? I'd love your help with this... thank you
change your drive order.
IOS58 mounts the highest USB Port first, nintendo look at the first found USB port. if you have WiiU HDD first, nintendont will not work.

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, grab the HDD cable between your fingers, Pull it to unplug it from your console.
put the extremity of the cable in front of another, unused, USB Port, and push it to plug that cable inside.
try again

Really, what's hard in "change the port you are using" ?

There are real guide I've written multiple times, in many threads. I don't remember the links.
but the guide only explain WHY you have to "change the port you are using", and nothing else.
so, just try it?

or do you want specific tutorial to tell you "plug the WiiU HDD in Port 0" ?
that's all, plug the wiiU HDD in port 0 and gamecube HDD in port1 and nintendont will work, that's vWii IOS58's magic.
more specifically, plug vWii HDD in a higher USB port number than WiiU HDD's USB Port number.

If you want both Wii ISO and nintendont, then that's another setup which require different cIOS and USBLoader settings. But you only asked about nintendont and WiiU HDD, that's all you need, swap the cable order...

Last edited by Cyan,

DaTank45

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the set up wii u dedicated 2 tb drive (no custom firmware installed), vwii dedicated 4 tb drive for wii back ups and game cube back ups. Nintendon't was obviously fine until the other drive was added for the wii u games. If you know of a solution to use nintendont with both drives plugged in that would be awesome. Let me know if you need more information.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...