Do you have any unopened Consoles?

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello everyone, I think everyone knows the feeling of joy when you get your hands on the newest Console and unbox it.
The smell of a fresh manual, the plastic wrap...it almost turns me on.

Recently I thought, damn..I really would like to open up a sealed PS2 or Nintendo Gamecube...and how nice it would be...(you can with enough $$$$$$$)
So I just went and grabbed a new 2ds XL Pikachu edition, and White Wii U, both unopened sitting in my Drawer, for maybe years and waiting to be opened...
It might be a bit sad, but I can't wait to open them in 5 years or maybe let my Kids open them...what a moment of joy this might be.

Do you have any unopened consoles or hoard them?
If so, why?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 unopened Halo Edition Original Xbox's that are sitting in a storage facility just collecting dust basically. I don't remember why we bought so many (we bought a total of 4 I think, two were opened, one we used and one we also left in storage, and then two unopened).

No idea what we're gonna do with them really, probably just leave them for years and then sell them off eventually.

supersega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Bought a few boxed ones and displayed the boxes but none ever sealed. If you have a sealed XBox original, NOW is the best time to open it so you can remove the clock battery before it does too much damage.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm not a collector. Not because I don't want to be, more because it requires a lot of room and expendable cash. But even if I was, I don't really care about keeping consoles new in box, as long as I keep them in good condition, and I generally take every measure to doing so, like using pouches, cases and screen protectors.

I don't see much point in not opening the box. If you never open the box, it's just a box. It might as well be empty. If you want to display it, you can do that just as well with an empty box. No one would be able to tell the difference since game console boxes aren't sealed in plastic like games are. And sure, if you keep the sealed box around for 30 years and make sure to store it in a way such that it stays in great condition, it might end up being worth a lot, but who buys consoles with the thought of keeping them around for 30 years just to make a profit later? You could consider it an investment, but there are far more profitable investments you could be making instead.
I have 2 unopened Halo Edition Original Xbox's that are sitting in a storage facility just collecting dust basically. I don't remember why we bought so many (we bought a total of 4 I think, two were opened, one we used and one we also left in storage, and then two unopened).

No idea what we're gonna do with them really, probably just leave them for years and then sell them off eventually.
The clock capacitors are gonna wreak havoc on those consoles and then they might be worth less than used but good condition ones.

D

Deleted User

The clock capacitors are gonna wreak havoc on those consoles and then they might be worth less than used but good condition ones.
not just those, i've seen a handful of cases where the 3/5 capacitors near the cpu either burst or leaked. personal experience, i have to figure out how to get mine replaced since i know nothing of capacitors

micp

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a PS Classic and C64 mini that are both un-opened. I've got a lot of CIB stuff but I'd love to have that seal on other consoles and find myself watching them on auction sites more often than I should.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

not just those, i've seen a handful of cases where the 3/5 capacitors near the cpu either burst or leaked. personal experience, i have to figure out how to get mine replaced since i know nothing of capacitors

The caps on these things are simple enough for anyone with a bit of soldering experience. Just check the microfarads (uF) and voltage and replace them with a capacitor of the same value. You'll often see something like 100uF 6.3V.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I buy very few brand new consoles. My wife did get me a new Switch but is an exception to the rule. Well... I guess my PS4 was brand new too. But they all get opened. I don't find the value of buying a game or console without the intention of opening it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I got a "semi new" switch. I need to recharge it from time to time so the battery doesn't break.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Smokies came out gud