Hardware Does anyone know a reliable way to clean Joy-Cons?

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
FhOSzUTXkAMjTa7.jpeg

I put it into a Nintendo Switch bag that someone gave me and now it looks like sh--.
I tried a few things like just picking at it with my finger, Huggies Pure (baby wipes 99% water), and other misc stuff.
Nothing has worked AT ALL. It's like it's now the paint design.
I don't have any IPA (nor know if that's safe to use on this material).

The gunk is possibly residue from 420-related gang gang material left over in the bottom of the bag. At a glance, it seems clean though so I don't quite understand.

Last edited by PRAGMA,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 336740

I put it into a Nintendo Switch bag that someone gave me and now it looks like sh--.
I tried a few things like just picking at it with my finger, Huggies Pure (baby wipes 99% water), and other misc stuff.
Nothing has worked AT ALL. It's like it's now the paint design.
I don't have any IPA (nor know if that's safe to use on this material).

The gunk is possibly residue from 420-related gang gang material left over in the bottom of the bag. At a glance, it seems clean though so I don't quite understand.

You can try Mr Clean Magic Eraser if you can find them

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You can use IPA and then a normal kitchen sponge. It should clean them well. Else magic eraser.

Worst case, you need to take them off and do one of those LED baths

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
- The Magic Erasers didnt arrive so I scrapped that.
- I got 99.8% IPA and tried various things and multiple attempts with no result.
- I wont be using any LED baths or UV baths or such, costs about €35 to buy one which I'm just not up for.

Does anyone have any other ideas? It's like its just part of the paint now. Probably out of luck as it's been so long.

IMG_1906.jpg

After looking at my original pictures, it does seem to have cleaned up a bit, but more like soften up, like a gaussian blur almost, but not enough to not be noticeable.

Last edited by PRAGMA,

whisky9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
An inexpensive high grit sandpaper eg. 1000-2000 grit will help you clean all the stubborn marks on your joycon. Then a cheap car wax and a piece of cloth will help you polishing your joycon.

britain4

Trophies
XP
Country
Are they the Extremerate shells with the rubberised texture? I've got the exact same issue with my white ones, the soft touch surface stains and I haven't yet found a way of getting it off. Next time I'll either get the hard plastic ones or a darker colour.

I did contact Extremerate to let them know how quickly they'd yellowed and they were kind enough to send me a replacement set but I haven't fitted them yet as the same thing will only happen again

PRAGMA

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Ireland
An inexpensive high grit sandpaper eg. 1000-2000 grit will help you clean all the stubborn marks on your joycon. Then a cheap car wax and a piece of cloth will help you polishing your joycon.
That seems too abrasive no? I'd not be cleaning it off, i'd be forcing it off as that point.
Post automatically merged:

Are they the Extremerate shells with the rubberised texture? I've got the exact same issue with my white ones, the soft touch surface stains and I haven't yet found a way of getting it off. Next time I'll either get the hard plastic ones or a darker colour.

I did contact Extremerate to let them know how quickly they'd yellowed and they were kind enough to send me a replacement set but I haven't fitted them yet as the same thing will only happen again
Mine werent sold to me as Soft-touch, but they feel maybe slightly soft-touch yeah

britain4

Trophies
XP
Country
That seems too abrasive no? I'd not be cleaning it off, i'd be forcing it off as that point.
Post automatically merged:

Mine werent sold to me as Soft-touch, but they feel maybe slightly soft-touch yeah

They sound like the same ones as mine, in which case I haven’t yet found a way of getting the dirt out

A genuine set or an aftermarket set without the coating would probably be much easier to clean

Try and sand these and you’re likely to just make a mess of them

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The soft touch coating is shit, you actually are not cleaning your controller but peeling off the coating, that’s why it looks more grey in some areas and uneven color.
I disassembled mine and get rid of the painting with a sand paper, it’s glossy now.

84F7E863-DCEA-4877-9F90-2C95A7463DD7.jpeg

Make sure you use a high grade like 3000p sand paper for the final touches, I used 2000, 2500, then 3000. Bear in mind that you need patience, I spent like 3-4 hours with this thing.

Edit: I see yours looks to be Basstop, mine is Xtremerate so results could vary because the plastic material.

Last edited by cucholix,
Reactions: britain4

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
- The Magic Erasers didnt arrive so I scrapped that.
- I got 99.8% IPA and tried various things and multiple attempts with no result.
- I wont be using any LED baths or UV baths or such, costs about €35 to buy one which I'm just not up for.

Does anyone have any other ideas? It's like its just part of the paint now. Probably out of luck as it's been so long.

View attachment 343919

After looking at my original pictures, it does seem to have cleaned up a bit, but more like soften up, like a gaussian blur almost, but not enough to not be noticeable.
A regular-ass pencil eraser can also work in a pinch to remove marks.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
use a peroxide cream (the one for hair tint) and let at sun for several hours or use a UV lamp. then wash using Isopropyl alcohol

Next time use a carrier case.
When usinf peroxide renenber to put generous amount and wrap it on plastic film (yes the one fir food) and let be several hours at sun.

The plastic film avoid the peroxide to dry and loses the effect

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...