Hacking Does Nintendo think they can stop the flashcart market?

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They have absolutely no way to stop flashcarts from being sold online, no matter how hard they try. I think they are presumably just going to give up since they are only focusing on the R4

S

spectral

They cant stop it but they have to try since they're losing a fortune too them.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
spectral said:

No they aren't.

Even though Nintendo claim to be losing money, every month they could process their profit into some sort of liquid and bathe in it.

Every month.

That's a lot of money.

LuOmeoga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
spectral said:

No they aren't.

Even though Nintendo claim to be losing money, every month they could process their profit into some sort of liquid and bathe in it.

Every month.

That's a lot of money.
Or like every week. XP

S

spectral

Of course they are. People say they pirate the game but it doesn't matter since they wouldn't buy it anyway and while a lot of the time it is true a lot of people would buy the games if they couldn't get them for free. Sure Nintendo are making a lot of money but they'd be making a lot more of it without flashcarts and modchips for their systems.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo themselves are making lots of money, without the flashcarts availability there wouldn't be nearly as many core system sales!!

And usually someone downloads the rom to demo then buy it, use it as a backup of the real cart they already own, or just wouldn't of bought in the first place or even used, or can't get it easily from a retailer like foreign games.

Most of my investments are buying the console new along with accessories, but usually scope my local game exchanges for cheap used games (usually buy super cheap of $1.00-$15.00)! Almost 85+% of my games are used!!! The developers still made there money, just not off me
wink.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yep, Nintendo makes money from flash cards because they benefit from increased DS sales. And Nintendo doesn't make that many first party games, so they don't lose much (relatively). It's the third party and second party developers that get screwed by pirating.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Come on, Nintendo isn't even trying.

Look at PSP, half dozen motherboards and 3 models already, PS2 has close to 20 versions (although I can't tell the difference between many of them), 360 has buncha drives -the latest one specifically designed to battle drive flashing-.

What has Nintendo done to prevent flashcarts from running on the DS? Nothing. Instead they're just trying to shoot down sellers.

"Thanks for playing" isn't good enough (and it looks more like SE's work than Nintendo's, since DQ5 also has anti-piracy built in) to stop flashcarts.

Nintendo chose not to spend much money on anti-piracy feature on their machine, and they're gonna pay for it in other ways.

MrKuenning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I bought my Wii (First console I have ever owned) and a DS (First handheld I have ever owned) was completely because of the flashcards and mod chips.

I am a PC gamer, but I Bought myself a DS and an R4 and then I bought another one for my G/F (Now my wife). Then I bought a Wii and modded it. Bought the wii zapper the wii fit the wii wheel...

That is

totaling 630

All of which I wouldn't have touched if it wernt for flashcards... And I am ONE person..

EDIT:OH I forgot the controlers... 4 Wii 4 nun 2 clasic and 2 GC

20 Uh thats 300 if I counted right... Yeah probably over 1000 bucks...

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
They have to make a show of at least trying. If Nintendo appears incompetent at stopping piracy, third-party developers will lose confidence in the console and stop making games for it.

Also, remember that Nintendo is selling the DS itself at a loss. Their profits comes mostly from first or second party games, and licensing third-party games. Even if you buy the DS, if you don't buy games they're not getting their profits, so obviously they're pissed with flashcarts.

At the moment, they're still making a crapload of money so they're not really taking that hard a stand.

cerenade

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MrKuenning said:
The only reason I bought my Wii (First console I have ever owned) and a DS (First handheld I have ever owned) was completely because of the flashcards and mod chips.

I am a PC gamer, but I Bought myself a DS and an R4 and then I bought another one for my G/F (Now my wife). Then I bought a Wii and modded it. Bought the wii zapper the wii fit the wii wheel...

That is

totaling 630

All of which I wouldn't have touched if it wernt for flashcards... And I am ONE person..

EDIT:OH I forgot the controlers... 4 Wii 4 nun 2 clasic and 2 GC

20 Uh thats 300 if I counted right... Yeah probably over 1000 bucks...

ive only just got flashcarts, before that i owned every nintendo console and handheld, which probably cost atleast 1000pound, then loads and loads of games over 500-600 pound worth in the last year. so nintendo can shut up, ive spent enough on them. plus if they seriously didnt want people to pirate(same goes to other gaming companys) lower prices for stuff

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
Chrono_Tata said:
Also, remember that Nintendo is selling the DS itself at a loss. Their profits comes mostly from first or second party games, and licensing third-party games. Even if you buy the DS, if you don't buy games they're not getting their profits, so obviously they're pissed with flashcarts.

I don't believe that's true. Asides from Xbox and PS3, I believe most console sales make money. I'm 100% sure the Wii is profitable, and I'm quite sure that each DS sale is profitable too.

And @4zndude I'm Canadian, and I assure you lots of Canadians know about flash carts... You aren't even Canadian... how would you know? Better not be one of those lame American jokes, duhhhh Canadians are stupid eh!?

I also live in Canada and theres stores that sells flashcarts. I even saw an edge at one of them tech direct stores, which sells electronics accessories.

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is the only manufacturer that makes a profit on their consoles from day 1. Other consoles are sold at a loss, with the licensing fees for software making that deficit up for the console manufacturer. During their lifetime, may of these consoles will indeed end up making money due to cheaper components and hardware revisions, but it takes a while.

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Yep, Nintendo makes money from flash cards because they benefit from increased DS sales. And Nintendo doesn't make that many first party games, so they don't lose much (relatively). It's the third party and second party developers that get screwed by pirating.

By definition, second party games are published by the console manufacturer; just not developed by them.

4zndude345

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Chrono_Tata said:

I don't believe that's true. Asides from Xbox and PS3, I believe most console sales make money. I'm 100% sure the Wii is profitable, and I'm quite sure that each DS sale is profitable too.

And @4zndude I'm Canadian, and I assure you lots of Canadians know about flash carts... You aren't even Canadian... how would you know? Better not be one of those lame American jokes, duhhhh Canadians are stupid eh!?

i Press USA By Addicent and i can fix it and your Vancouver im in Ontario i been all around not many ppl got Flash Card i know like 2 people who ahve it

ENDscape

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
4zndude345 said:
PharaohsVizier said:
Chrono_Tata said:

i Press USA By Addicent and i can fix it and your Vancouver im in Ontario i been all around not many ppl got Flash Card i know like 2 people who ahve it

I live in toronto and i can tell you alot of kids has an r4 or an n5.

ENDscape

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
Either that or your friends aren't exactly tech savvy. I think lots of Canadians are using these because there are so many major online sites that are based in Canada. As well, again, just walking down the street, try looking at people's DS's. Most people seem to have a MicroSD slot, hmmm what does that mean? Honestly these carts are so prevalent, it is hard to miss.

Suppose you have 25 friends with DS's, and you (4zndude) are the only one with a flash cart (I assume you do, or plan to as you are on GBATemp), that is already 4%, much higher than what should exist. Not to mention, I'm sure you are telling your friends to get one by now, seeing as they can't play multiplayer with you in some obscure games. Or even if you are trying to hide it, they might be interested. As soon as one person gets it, and lets people around them know, it's like a disease.

You're right about the telling other people about flashcarts. They've been around since the gba, so by now alot of people with knowledge of DS or simply electronics, should know about flashcarts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk