kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All right - actually, I don't know if this has happened yet but it doesn't take an idiot to use deduction skills I guess.
and i didn't post in the newbie thread because no one ever reads it

Anyway, my local library has a Wii that they use for gaming events. I decided it'd be pretty cool to let them play import games for their Anime Club meetings, so they can play the Naruto fighters, Bleach VS Crusade and Tatsunoko VS Capcom. So I softmodded it, lol
I had Wiigator 0.3b gamma I think and the homebrew channel installed.

Recently I missed their Game Night, but I got a recap on it - they played a lot of Smash Bros., and "that boxing game"
"Punch-Out?"
"Yeah!"
"Cool. That game's pretty fun."

When I walked out of the library, I realized: the library staff isn't very knowledgable on Wii homebrew (well duh, they're like 50) and they booted Punch-Out from the Wii disc launcher.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
So, I assume that their Wii is now homebrewless and unable to play backups. I haven't seen it yet but I know that Punch-Out!! contains a 4.0U update. I guess I could just use BannerBomb on it and install the HBC.

But, how can I install any CIOSes or fakesign patches? My biggest challenge is that the Wii isn't mine, and it doesn't leave the library. Therefore, it's offline.
I actually installed CIOS249 offline so I guess I could just install IOS38 rev13 this time around?
But yeah, what exactly should I do?

tl;dr: Cool homebrew on 3.2U, idiot played Punch-Out and Wii is now on 4.0U. How do I get it back to its swashbuckling pirate state?

[something to note: It had 3.2U on it previously, it can't be one of these LU64+ wiis or whatever]

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Det1re said:
The Homebrew Channel should still be there. So is cIOS.
Oh. Neat, thanks.

So they're still on there.
But doesn't it use any sort of fakesign patching for playing imports/DVD-Rs? Or am I getting my wirres crossed; that fakesign patching is for Wiiware and WADs?

QUOTE(mr deez @ Jul 19 2009, 08:39 AM) You shouldn't be doing anything to other peoples property, that's what.
The library knew I was softmodding it; I brought it up to the library's coordinator, I explained the (very slim) possibility of the Wii bricking, and after sitting on the idea for a week he was OK with it. It's not like I held them at gunpoint to let me install it - they (and the patrons) asked me to.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
1) Punch Out!! contains the 3.4 Update
2) I would say that you should also screw Gamma and get the newest SoftChip or NeoGamma. They're better, because of the new 002-Fix, etc...
3) Update also to cIOS rev10 (WAD-Install). It's better for DVD-Backups. rev13 is bad...
4) And no need for any "Fakesign-Bug is away" fear...if you would read up, you know that this is (nearly) only important for ModChip Users, and only good for modding textures, songs, etc.., so content IN the disc. It has nothing to do with forcing Language, Video Mode, etc...
---> 4.1) Once you have a cIOS, you can always install a newer one (only not if Nintendo deletes the cIOS, which they never did before via Update).

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
[/quote]
The library knew I was softmodding it; I brought it up to the library's coordinator, I explained the (very slim) possibility of the Wii bricking, and after sitting on the idea for a week he was OK with it. It's not like I held them at gunpoint to let me install it - they (and the patrons) asked me to.
[/quote]

Fair enough, for some reason I got the impression that you'd done it on the sly.

Still, given the nature of a libraries business, seems odd to me they would approve something which flagrantly circumvents copyright restriction....!. Could easily be considered gross misconduct, if his bosses had any idea.....

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it is indeed updated to 4.0 (which I don't think punch-out would've done, then I would suggest just updating to cIOS rev13a via wad installation since there's no wifi, and then installing startpatch and enabling the skip disc update check to avoid any other accidental updating problems. Also update the loader to NeoGamma R6 so you don't get 002 errors on games. gamma 0.3 is outdated.

To update it to 4.0 yourself offline, http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

Follow the OFFLINE guide and just do steps 1-3 on your pc, and then 12 and 13. You can do the other steps involving bootmii and preloader for more brick protection, but don't do steps 8-10 as you already have cIOS installed and don't need any of that downgrading. And you could also install rev10 as it says to, but note that with that rev, no usb devices will work unless you run the game that uses it through the disc channel. Rev 13a fixes that.

kosheh

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm gonna install NeoGamma next time I go. And I totally forgot about the WAD installation, here I thought I had to stick a bunch of files in one folder [like Waninkoko's MIOSv5 update]. x3
Thanks for your help guys, it's quite helpful and I'm gonna try to get my hands on said WADs. I swear I've seen them before but no worries I'll find them myself :X
mr deez said:
QUOTE said:

Fair enough, for some reason I got the impression that you'd done it on the sly.

Still, given the nature of a libraries business, seems odd to me they would approve something which flagrantly circumvents copyright restriction....!. Could easily be considered gross misconduct, if his bosses had any idea.....
He IS the boss. x3
Also; yeah I did discuss it with other staff in the library. I suppose it's like a DJ playing a mix CD he burned himself for the party he's playing at. The library doesn't actually profit from the event, and as long as we're not like selling the games it's pretty much fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)