Don't be surprise when 2tb sd card don't work on 3ds at all

Riot20052

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's all be honest very wall good chance 3ds won't run if have 2tb sd card in it even if it's fat32. Because slow some down so much possible failed to boot up. Thier does work probably 3 to 4 boot up and 7 minutes load gba games. Thinking probably be possible 3ds just not going boot up with 2tb sd card.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah this is fairly common knowledge, though you don't ever really need to go that high for a 3DS. Like I've got everything I want on a 64GB card and there's still healthy room left over.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 11 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I saw news about Kioxia announces worlds first 2TB Micro SDXC Card for 2023 is on way out.

FAT32 would work on 2 TB is last one. No FAT32 support on 3 TB and above are useless on 3DS hardware.

But I still prefer SanDisk over all other brand names.

If 2 TB card don't work in 3DS to see if pass or fail. If fail, then try on PC and if it work. If working on PC fine should use for vault storage to store all Nintendo games on it then put in storage box for many years.

I would love to buy a lot of 2 TB cards for vault storage to protect all important files that what I needed. ;)

Riot20052

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw news about Kioxia announces worlds first 2TB Micro SDXC Card for 2023 is on way out.

FAT32 would work on 2 TB is last one. No FAT32 support on 3 TB and above are useless on 3DS hardware.

If 2 TB card don't work in 3DS to see if pass or fail. If fail, then try on PC and if it work. If working on PC fine should use for vault storage to store all Nintendo games on it then put in storage box for many years.

I would love to buy a lot of 2 TB cards for vault storage to protect all important files that what I needed. ;)
No saying 100% 2tb sd card won't work saying small Chances of it not working because don't know 3ds reused boot sometime that big. Possible not going work due slow read speed. And even does work be 3 to 4 minutes boot and 7 minutes for gba games boot.
Post automatically merged:

The recommended size for SD cards is 64GB. 128 or 256 GB may work, but will start to show signs of slowdown. 2TB is just overkill lol. If you bought a 2TB SD card for the 3DS specifically I would try to return it, as they are pretty much unusable.
Saying 2tb may just reused to boot on 3ds due hardware limits or software taking long to boot.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What is the point of your thread?
Who buys a 2tb card for a friggin 3ds?
It's overkill for a Switch even, and much less sensible for the 3ds.
people tend to buy stupidly large amounts of storage for systems that will never take advantage of it, like why would anyone want more than 1tb, or even 512gb of storage on a ps2. or 8tb on an xbox (i've seen it)

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My old 3ds has a 32gb card in it, and until recently my new3ds had a 64gb card in it. I upgraded the 64gb to 128gb purely because I needed more space for roms to run under Twilight... it still has around 40gb free space.

I honestly can't think of a reason to need more 3ds storage based on my personal use-cases.

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Let's all be honest very wall good chance 3ds won't run if have 2tb sd card in it even if it's fat32. Because slow some down so much possible failed to boot up. Thier does work probably 3 to 4 boot up and 7 minutes load gba games. Thinking probably be possible 3ds just not going boot up with 2tb sd card.
And 2tb SD card does not exist. SO if you bought it it´s a 100% scam. The biggest is 1.5tb from Micron and it´s only a test SD card. Not buyable for normal consumers. And the announced Kioxia 2tb.

Last edited by Blavla,

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the point of your thread?
Who buys a 2tb card for a friggin 3ds?
It's overkill for a Switch even, and much less sensible for the 3ds.
Overkill for the Switch? I have a 1TB card and am running out of room (only a few GBs left.)

Kioxia (formally part of Toshiba) has been making flash memory longer than most other flash memory companies. So I would have no issues buying their 2TB if/when it comes out.

Also 2TB is the limit for SDXC cards anyway.

Reactions: console

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a 200GB card in my 3DS which works fine, but some things are a bit slower than on my old 64GB card. Imo even 200 are a bit much. 128 would also be more than enough for most people.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If you have a large budget, invest it in an endurance rated sdcard and a bit less capacity.
Consumer grade sdcards are made for file transfers at user requests. Not guaranteed, but a 3ds might hammer a sdcard well beyond its writing limits, especially if you use homebrew apps like emulators. Endurance cards have some extra margin against corruption.
Of course, this aplies only for legit cards. Every fake card will die.

Reactions: Yoshkins

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could definitely work, SDIO hasn't changed much in years aside from read and write speed. 2 TB micro sds just don't exist yet. It would probably take a long ass time to boot though.

Honestly I think 128/200/256 is good enough. I already have a bunch of games, roms, etc on my 32gb card. 256+ is perfect for the Wii, Wii U, and Switch.

Riot20052

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And 2tb SD card does not exist. SO if you bought it it´s a 100% scam. The biggest is 1.5tb from Micron and it´s only a test SD card. Not buyable for normal consumers. And the announced Kioxia 2tb.
Saying for future use 3ds might reused boot with it.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It could definitely work, SDIO hasn't changed much in years aside from read and write speed. 2 TB micro sds just don't exist yet. It would probably take a long ass time to boot though.

Honestly I think 128/200/256 is good enough. I already have a bunch of games, roms, etc on my 32gb card. 256+ is perfect for the Wii, Wii U, and Switch.
It's not a problem with SDIO but the OS was not tested with these high capacities and read/write speeds suck on 3DS. FAT32 needs better read speeds at these capacities because the File Allocation Table is very large which slows down the OS a lot.

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a feeling it probably will but it'll very likely have extremely slow boot times, load times, have awful cluster slack (means you'll get much less than 2TB out of it), you may also get crashes due to the slow load times.
But larger than 2TB absolutely wouldn't work, I mean you could do it but you'll never get more than 2TB worth of usable space due to the MBR partition size limit.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought this card for my N3DS XL and MY N2DS XL and it is faster than any sd card i have ever used in any 3ds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, FarCry 5 is an awesome game with multiple endings!