CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
I could definitely help with the web part of this, have you decided on a language yet?

If using PHP I would strongly recommend picking a framework, I'd suggest Silex or something similar. In particular because Silex allows you to get started quickly but keeps things clean and organized, and being based on Symfony makes it much simpler to scale up if needed in the future.
It's first to the project! If you feel like using PHP go for it :) I will later today write a TODO issue on GitHub you/I know what to do.

PS. I don't know PHP as I hate it, but there is a lot of developers out there :)

BTW, JoostinOnline I don't have enough money to support this project if it gets too big, so any donations from anybody is helpful(BTW, they would first of all go to found a new 3DS for me, then the webhost :P (need a console to test the app on))

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
BTW, JoostinOnline I don't have enough money to support this project if it gets too big, so any donations from anybody is helpful(BTW, they would first of all go to found a new 3DS for me, then the webhost :P (need a console to test the app on))
Then a jet ski, then a yellow Bentley.

Reactions: filfat

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Then a hooker ofc... (Sarcasm)

Let's get back on topic now :P
On a serious note, I've put a couple hundred dollars into hardware and software for the homebrew I develop, and I've gotten a total of $33 over a span of 3 years. I'm just saying that it might not payout the way you hope.

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
This is a great idea. But how do you plan to keep bandwidth costs down? I can't think of any third party hosts that would allow downloading without interacting with either a captcha or at least a timer, and self-hosting can get expensive if it picks up steam

But def this is a HUGE step in the right direction to get people to want to be involved in homebrew.

the brew can all be hosted at another host, like cydia has its own host but then everything is stored on repos and the same could be done here, by developers having their own repos with their brew all nicely organised, you could find brew by the developers name, and as OP said he'll have admins to authorise things so if a new dev is to be added then they can give the okay if their repo can be added.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden
Getting started on the UI, I bet that we can have a early working prototype in the end of the week
(translation from dev language: end of the week = when I feel like developing (joke))

TpVlpj7.png

ILOVETOPLAYNESGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may attract more (good) developers if you choose a different language, like Python or Ruby, along with a web framework that either includes an ORM or can work with an existing ORM.

I'm not saying amazing things can't be made with PHP, but it is significantly rarer for large-scale things to be written in PHP.
Going to say this from looking into many companies in my area. They usually use .NET or PHP around here at some fairly large companies.

I myself use PHP a lot, and if all you really need is some JSON decoding that is super easy to do and make a database for securely in PHP for most reasonable developers. Bar camp for the win!

If no one has responded in a reasonable time, I can probably make it... but it might take a little while as I just bought a new house that I am fixing up, but have lots of premade stuff for PHP and MySQL to keep client costs down, and it would be fun to do something different.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Umm... im following Android 5.0's design language just look at your fartapp app store ;)
Which we both know is an unpopular rip-off of the Modern UI.
Btw, don't want to start any flame wars but people who dislike 8 just cant crop with changes even if it they are great ;)
That would be most people. You're not making this app just for you, it's for everyone. So why not use a style that almost everyone likes? It's not about being in a war, it's about being realistic.
Blocky and dull
background1.png~original

Smooth and shiny
background2.png~original

yodamerlin

Bok bok.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That would be most people. You're not making this app just for you, it's for everyone. So why not use a style that almost everyone likes? It's not about being in a war, it's about being realistic.
Blocky and dull
background1.png~original

Smooth and shiny
background2.png~original

That looks brilliant!

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden
Blocky and dull
background1.png~original

Smooth and shiny
background2.png~original
Thats the "old" style(Remember iOS 3/4? Yeah that's the style you just did), all mobile oses is moving away from it, Android iOS and Windows Phone which im trying to folow.
Here is the design language in currently following(as best as I can): http://www.google.com/design/spec/material-design/introduction.html

Reactions: janjtv and Margen67

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Thats the "old" style(Remember iOS 3/4? Yeah that's the style you just did), all mobile oses is moving away from it, Android iOS and Windows Phone which in trying to folow.
Here is the design language in currently following(as best as I can): http://www.google.com/design/spec/material-design/introduction.html
This isn't a phone. And people like that "old" style, as you call it.

It's fine to like the blocky and dull style. Just stop deluding yourself into thinking that most people like it.

AlbertoSONIC

Pasta Team Member
Trophies
Website
www.albertosonic.com
XP
Country
Italy

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
This isn't a phone. And people like that "old" style, as you call it.

It's fine to like the blocky and dull style. Just stop deluding yourself into thinking that most people like it.
stop bashing.....i dont really care what it looks like, as long as it works :P pretty sure its all going to be opensource so anything you don't like your free to change as you see fit :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A