Homebrew ds and retro emulators on new 3DS or new DS XL

ninfas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am very close to buying either a new n3DS or new n3DS XL (Jap version) mainly to play ds and retro emulators (do not really care about 3DS games just yet)

What version of the new n3DS (standard or XL) is best for these games in terms of screen resolution? I want to play mainly CPS1, CPS2 and neogeo arcade games at native resolutions and of course ds games at native resolutions.

I would prefer a new 3DS as it is more simliar in size to a ds but if the games can be played at native resolutions on the XL version then I may as well go for that

Thanks in advance.

ninfas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. I was just afraid that the larger screen of the n3DS XL may cause emulators and ds games to appear blurry and pixelated.

Is this not correct?

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks. I was just afraid that the larger screen of the n3DS XL may cause emulators and ds games to appear blurry and pixelated.

Is this not correct?
DS games look pretty awful on the O3DS and N3DS. They look great on a 2DS though. I only play my DS games on my N2DSXL

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Is this not correct?
Correct, but what is usually called "resolution" in optical physics (number of things=pixels divided by unit of space=inches) is usually called "density" in IT, while computer "resolution" typically means the total number of pixels in the horizontal and vertical directions

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am very close to buying either a new n3DS or new n3DS XL (Jap version) mainly to play ds and retro emulators (do not really care about 3DS games just yet)

What version of the new n3DS (standard or XL) is best for these games in terms of screen resolution? I want to play mainly CPS1, CPS2 and neogeo arcade games at native resolutions and of course ds games at native resolutions.

I would prefer a new 3DS as it is more simliar in size to a ds but if the games can be played at native resolutions on the XL version then I may as well go for that

Thanks in advance.
Holding Select or Start when booting a ds flashcart will put games in ther original resolution and not be blurry

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The TN screens are god-awful for so many sidescrollers designed for CRTs due to motion blur. Expect big distraction from moving black backgrounds, and good luck even seeing those incoming shurikens in revenge of shinobi. I would look very hard for a top IPS screen whatever you go with. Similarly I would go with XL because too many retro games have tiny sprites, albeit I'm guessing that is less of an issue with arcade games.

And yeah, DS scaling is pretty horrible for any text-heavy games with fonts a single pixel thick, which seems to be most of them. They become nearly unreadably fuzzy. So again, go XL to get a workable size for native resolution.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The TN screens are god-awful for so many sidescrollers designed for CRTs due to motion blur. Expect big distraction from moving black backgrounds, and good luck even seeing those incoming shurikens in revenge of shinobi. I would look very hard for a top IPS screen whatever you go with. Similarly I would go with XL because too many retro games have tiny sprites, albeit I'm guessing that is less of an issue with arcade games.

And yeah, DS scaling is pretty horrible for any text-heavy games with fonts a single pixel thick, which seems to be most of them. They become nearly unreadably fuzzy. So again, go XL to get a workable size for native resolution.
I actually think it’s the opposite. The letters look ugly and stretch, and the pixels are way more noticeable. I sometimes play in correct aspect mode in the ds games because it looks disgusting

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually think it’s the opposite. The letters look ugly and stretch, and the pixels are way more noticeable. I sometimes play in correct aspect mode in the ds games because it looks disgusting

Not sure if we are disagreeing or not. I'm suggesting playing DS games in their native resolution on the XL model. Still seems a better option than playing them scaled up on a non-XL.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if we are disagreeing or not. I'm suggesting playing DS games in their native resolution on the XL model. Still seems a better option than playing them scaled up on a non-XL.
All 3DS models have the same resolution of 240p, and the XL models just stretch them to fit the screen

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and the 3DS XL's pixel size is about the same as a DSi. You play DS in native on a non-XL and it's like a DS "micro." If you've got the eyesight for that then more power to you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: btw bc my sup m3 is dead im gonna use its sd card to mod my dsi