• No, It sucks more than pizza without cheese

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Dunno, don't own one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted_171835

OP
I've had a DSi for a month and a half now and it seems like a fad. I played with the camera and it's fun for a while but having a real camera in the house, I see no need for it. The music player is awesomeness and I use it often but with a flashcart there is moonshell. The sound recorder is crap and the fact that each recording is only 10 seconds long makes it worst. I bought the DSi in hope for good DSiWare games and possibily a Virtual Console. The only worthwhile DSiWare games are MightyFlip Champs and the Art Style series. Aside from those features there is nothing else worthwhile. Sure the wider screens and louder sound is great it starts to seem like a fad after a month of ownership. Unless the DSi get's hacked and some damn good homebrew comes out I call bu!!$h!t on Nintendo. Maybe I should update my DSi review on my current opinion on the DSi. What do you think about the DSi being a fad? To those who don't own one, what's stopping you from purchasing one (price, fad, etc.)?

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I haven't had much use for the camera, dsi ware, or the music player. However, the D-pad is much better than the Lite's and the screen seems larger, and has an additional brightness setting. I don't know about it being a fad though, but it doesn't seem to be as much as a necessity as the progression from Phat to Lite was. Personally I am glad I bought it though for the reasons stated above.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Goshogun1 said:
Personally I haven't had much use for the camera, dsi ware, or the music player. However, the D-pad is much better than the Lite's and the screen seems larger, and has an additional brightness setting. I don't know about it being a fad though, but it doesn't seem to be as much as a necessity as the progression from Phat to Lite was. Personally I am glad I bought it though for the reasons stated above.

Interesting. You bought it for mainly aesthetic reasons and minor but useful features.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
sweenish said:
can't be a fad if it's not catching on

It could be a fad. A fad is something that is embraced very enthusiastically for a short time. When I first got the DSi, I was damn excited but now it seems crappy. Almost like those $h!t "tamagotchis" in the past.

Smatchmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't gotten one yet because I'm honestly not sure if it's worth the price. I like the DS Lite just fine.

I'll reserve judgment on the DSi. I don't see what the big deal is about it, but I thought the same thing about the DSL- that it was just a gimmicky fad that would die out within a year of its release. I didn't know how truly awesome the DS was until I owned one, and maybe it'll be the same thing for the DSi. Depends on what Nintendo & game developers do with it.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the DSi is great, I love mine, the camera bits are fun when you have friends around. As for what I like (as I have owned all three iterations of the DS) is that the D-pad is better, I like the triggers better, and you can finally play this thing outside with the "melt your face" brightness setting. Also, the screen being larger is noticeable after long play sessions.

The only gripes I have is the battery life isn't quite what it was with the DSL, I find myself charging it every 4-5 days as opposed to every week, but not a deal breaker, I charge my phone every other day, so it's all good. And I never timed it, but it seems to charge rapidly, I'd say 2-3 hours, whereas I swear the DSL took 4 or so.

Oh yeah, the lack of a GBA slot means no Guitar Hero. I have it, and I still own my DSL if I'm feeling like playing it, but I'd rather just play RB2 on the Wii. And as for GBA games, meh, I have a GBA Micro for that.

So yeah, unless you have the cash to blow, I wouldn't recommend it just yet, but wait until the price drop comes (and it will... or a bundle will make it more affordable) and go ahead and get one. If you don't have a DS and are on the fence, go for it.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wackycraze45 said:
Goshogun1 said:

Interesting. You bought it for mainly aesthetic reasons and minor but useful features.

Mostly just for the bigger/brighter screen. If the DS wasn't my most played system, I wouldn't have bothered. It's just that it makes my entire library look a lot better IMO. I could care less about the camera and music options. However, there may be some great dsiware and dsi compatible games that will eventually go beyond those aesthetic features. Only time will tell.

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a dsi and i enjoy it alot with the bigger screens,cameras,lighter weight,dsiware, and hacking capabilities. But not having a gameboy advance slot is a big set back and the only way for them to fix it is to release virtual console gba titles. So the dsi may seem like a fad to some of you but I think the opinion of how good it is compared to a regular ds depends on the person. I think the point of it is that instead of everyone buying just a ds they have 2 choices each with their individual perks. Even thought eventually with all of the dsi's perks $50 may not seem like a big price for an upgrade ( it isnt )

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you were expecting a plethora of DSiWare games right out of the gate then you are obviously not very intelligent, we all know what the VC was like at launch time for the Wii, or what any other consoles downloadable content provisions are like at initial release. Dr Mario Express and Mario vs Donkey Kong are both good DSiWare games, more will come when developers have time to spend making some games and it is a good way for small independent studios to create software as well since the DSi is basically the gaming version of an iPod, most programmers should be able to make games and apps with ease for it.

gdude30

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm gonna get flamed.

But regardless...

Unfortunately I see the DSi as nintendos attempt to catch up with cell phones and other mobile devices.Because of the iPhones existence people now demand that any portable device they have has tons of apps on it, camera, video, music, email, internet, games, and so forth. The Original DS could only do games. Although Media Players and Flash Carts were have been released that work with the DS Lite they are not announced to the general public or supported by nintendo. But now they can with the DSi. With 10 second video recording, only one format for music, no video, very limited number of apps, and the sacrifice of the GBA slot they can have a completely watered down version of what flash cart owners have.

I am an iPhone owner. I had the first generation one and currently have the 3G one. The iPhone can play amazing games that rival both the PSP and DS. There are other smart phones out there too like the blackberry storm, the android, and so forth. It just seems kind of like a waste to buy yet another device that plays certain audio formats, very short recordings, a camera, internet application and wi-fi included, and so on when there are much better portable devices out there. The brighter screen, bigger display, better d-pad buttons, and better sound really sound like the only reasons to upgrade. But at least nintendo tried. They just upgraded their ds lite a little assuming it would be enough to get attention and figured it would be a hit and than release maybe a ds 2 a year or two later...

But now people who haven't been able to do applications, music, and voice recordings can finally do it on their DSi.

Good for them
biggrin.gif

((So yes if it catches on than I guess it is a fad))

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
2Months ago I decided to buy a DSi, IF a good DSi Only game comes out. So yet I havent brought
For how long is the DSi out yet ? Over 1 month over here, and yet there is any DSi game release.
(Dont tell me about DSiWare, I dont trow away my money (for the DSi) just to play some minigames); sure DSiWare might be funny as an addition, but it cant replace real games...

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly i think it is, i never bothered buying a DSi because i was fine with my M3 real and my DS lite, it was a bit too much of a bother to go in and trade my DS lite for a DSi plus Ive grown attached to my lite after using it for the last 2 years, just too many memories i guess. But i will say that the DSi, for what it has over the lite, its not a bad console, its just not that much of an improvement over the lite in my eyes.

- Karaku32

Akiyo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lets just say my DSi like at the status equivalent to my GBA (I have GBA SP) - its a sitting brick with inch thick dust on it.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the DSi will definately become a lot better than the DS (Lite). In my opinion it's a matter of time before Nintendo releases some exclusive titles for DSi. Imagine a new Mario, Pikmin, Zelda, Metroid etc. developed exclusively for DSi...

Also, all of the imperfections of the DS Lite are solved. A better Dpad, better sound, an SD slot, bigger screens...

I haven't bought one yet though, because there isn't any need to at the moment. I only recently replaced my good old DS Phat with a DS Lite because I was able to buy the DS Lite very cheap. I'm going to do the same with DSi.

Syman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have to agree with the DSi being a little bit of a let down.

the camera is a bit of a laugh but nothing special. Music is ok but again, nothing special.

the bigger screen is a big plus though.

overall, if you are looking to buy a DS/DSi then go for the "i", if you have one i dont think the extra "features" are worth the extra cost.

mark0217

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Would've been great if they hadn't cut the GBA slot. That's quite an issue for me, probably the sort that will keep me from ever getting a DSi.
Unless it gets like 20+ must have games, of course.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People said the DS itself was a gimmick too, don't forget. And the Wiimote.

But with that said, it's gonna suffer from the huge existing userbase for the DS. Existing DS users are in no hurry to upgrade to the DSi when most things are being published for the DS itself. Developers have no incentive to make DSi-exclusive games when the DS userbase is so big.

It's a vicious cycle, and the DSi doesn't offer developers enough (nor is it certain enough to eclipse the DS in the long run) to lure them into taking risks the way a genuinely new console would.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfgcKqXw_aE