Homebrew DSi hacking: everything you need to know about it and more

Watabu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm following the tutorial for installing TWiLightMenu on a Japanese DSi. I got the exploit to work and ran TWiLightMenu. I then installed Unlaunch and TWiLightMenu would not start (error about fatInit). It looks like I didn't format the SD card correctly, so I went back and did that. I have Unlaunch set to try and start BOOT.NDS. Now my situation is:
  • If I turn the system on, I see the TWiLightMenu logo, but the messsage ""sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/main.srldr not found"
  • If I try start settings.srldr from Unlaunch I see TWiLightMenu settings on the top screen and I can see scroll bars on the bottom, and using L/R I can see the scrollbars change size, but there's no text on the bottom so I can't actually see the settings!
I've tried formatting the SD card (using cfdisk--I'm on Linux) and copying everything back to the SD card no change. I've also tried deleting the _nds and BOOT.NDS on the SD and copying a fresh one from the latest TWiLightMenu release, but no change. I've tried opening Launcher, going into the camera and using the exploit again (which gives me a green screen now instead of starting TWiLightMenu--is that expected?). I have not tried uninstalling Unlaunch (the warning about it randomly bricking my system has me scared and I don't want to do that unless I'm sure that's the best decision)

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I'm following the tutorial for installing TWiLightMenu on a Japanese DSi. I got the exploit to work and ran TWiLightMenu. I then installed Unlaunch and TWiLightMenu would not start (error about fatInit). It looks like I didn't format the SD card correctly, so I went back and did that. I have Unlaunch set to try and start BOOT.NDS. Now my situation is:
  • If I turn the system on, I see the TWiLightMenu logo, but the messsage ""sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/main.srldr not found"
  • If I try start settings.srldr from Unlaunch I see TWiLightMenu settings on the top screen and I can see scroll bars on the bottom, and using L/R I can see the scrollbars change size, but there's no text on the bottom so I can't actually see the settings!
I've tried formatting the SD card (using cfdisk--I'm on Linux) and copying everything back to the SD card no change. I've also tried deleting the _nds and BOOT.NDS on the SD and copying a fresh one from the latest TWiLightMenu release, but no change. I've tried opening Launcher, going into the camera and using the exploit again (which gives me a green screen now instead of starting TWiLightMenu--is that expected?). I have not tried uninstalling Unlaunch (the warning about it randomly bricking my system has me scared and I don't want to do that unless I'm sure that's the best decision)

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Hmm, you're putting "_nds" and such in the root of the SD card, right?

Assuming ther're in the right place, maybe try reformatting it with these instructions: https://github.com/cfw-guide/dsi.cf...cd756fcc0/_pages/en_US/sd-card-setup.md#linux

That's from an open Pull Request to the guide that changes to mkdosfs instead of cfdisk, I'm not sure exactly what the difference is but this may work better. If that doesn't fix it maybe try another SD card or using SD Formatter on macOS / Windows (unfortunately there isn't a linux version)

Technicmaster0

OP
Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The info about DSi Exclusive ROMs and DSi enhanced ROMs are now out of date.
There is now a way to launch DSi-Exclusive ROMs (being nds-bootstrap), and DSi-Enhanced ROMs can now run in DSi mode (using nds-bootstrap as well).
Great to hear. Does it work 100% without issues or are issues like the ones with ds games to be expected?

Reactions: banjo2

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great to hear. Does it work 100% without issues or are issues like the ones with ds games to be expected?
System Flaw, (Picture Perfect) Hair Salon, and Foto Showdown work without issues, but Hidden Photo and Face Training have issues.
For DSi-Enhanced games, the only known issues are Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 crashing when loading a save, and Pokemon Conquest crashing on white screens on boot, both due to the AP-fixes being made without DSi mode in mind, so both issues aren't because of nds-bootstrap.

Technicmaster0

OP
Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
System Flaw, (Picture Perfect) Hair Salon, and Foto Showdown work without issues, but Hidden Photo and Face Training have issues.
For DSi-Enhanced games, the only known issues are Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 crashing when loading a save, and Pokemon Conquest crashing on white screens on boot, both due to the AP-fixes being made without DSi mode in mind, so both issues aren't because of nds-bootstrap.
Thanks for informing me about the update. I updated the OP.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the dsi cfw guide I see this:

"Powering on only shows a black screen after installing Unlaunch
Try ejecting the SD card and powering the console on again. If it still only shows a black screen, you may need to flash your NAND via a hardmod"

Does this mean a cfw DSi is useless without an SD Card?

Also. will a FAT16 formatted 2GB SD card work?

Last edited by _47iscool,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
On the dsi cfw guide I see this:

"Powering on only shows a black screen after installing Unlaunch
Try ejecting the SD card and powering the console on again. If it still only shows a black screen, you may need to flash your NAND via a hardmod"

Does this mean a cfw DSi is useless without an SD Card?
No, what it means to say is that if you're encountering a black screen while starting the system, it may be an issue with the inserted SD card, in which case you would need to format the SD card. If you're still getting a black screen even without an SD card inserted, then it may be bricked.
Unlaunch doesn't remove any features or functionality (aside from its now optional patches for the DSi Menu).

Also. will a FAT16 formatted 2GB SD card work?
Yes, it should

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@banjo2

Thank you for the information on it. I will probably try it once my DSi is fully charged.

Also, is that unlaunch program required? It says it can brick the DSi.
One last thing: Is there a recommended version of unlauch to use? It says the latest v2.0 is untested.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
@banjo2

Thank you for the information on it.

I will probably try it once my DSi is fully charged.

Also, is that unlaunch program required? It says it can brick the DSi.
Unlaunch is only required if you want the features it provides, such as:
  • Slot-1 access (dumping games/saves)
  • Booting straight into homebrew apps, instead of going through Memory Pit/etc each time
  • Unblocked flashcards and region unlocking on region-locked DSi titles
  • Better homebrew compatibility
If you're just wanting to run modern homebrew or dumps of games that you already have, you'll be fine without it

Reactions: _47iscool

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unlaunch is only required if you want the features it provides, such as:
  • Slot-1 access (dumping games/saves)
  • Booting straight into homebrew apps, instead of going through Memory Pit/etc each time
  • Unblocked flashcards and region unlocking on region-locked DSi titles
  • Better homebrew compatibility
If you're just wanting to run modern homebrew or dumps of games that you already have, you'll be fine without it

The main reason I want to softmod it is dump DS games and also run DS games from SD card.

And thanks for the information.

Update:

Installed and working great. Already dumped a few games.
Though, Sonic Classic Collection gives me a bootstrap error with TM if I try to run it in DSi mode.
Works fine in DS mode though. I also had to use a different SD card.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though, Sonic Classic Collection gives me a bootstrap error with TM if I try to run it in DSi mode.
Works fine in DS mode though. I also had to use a different SD card.
Sonic Classic Collection is known to boot in DSi mode. Try re-dumping it.
If the issue persists, then what did you use to dump the ROM?

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you use the latest version of GodMode9i?
How are you launching it, and what console are you using to launch it?
Latest version: Yes
Launch method: TwilightMenu++
Hardware: Dsi 1.4.5U

Should I launch the homebrew tool with unlaunch instead?

It names the file this "SONICCOLLECT_VSOE8P_00.nds

(I noticed Nintendo let Sega keep the "8P" ID from the GameCube days)

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Latest version: Yes
Launch method: TwilightMenu++
Hardware: Dsi 1.4.5U

Should I launch the homebrew tool with unlaunch instead?

It names the file this "SONICCOLLECT_VSOE8P_00.nds

(I noticed Nintendo let Sega keep the "8P" ID from the GameCube days)
It does not matter where the tool is launched from.
Do you have other DSi-Enhanced cartridges? If so, do the dumps give the same issue?

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does not matter where the tool is launched from.
Do you have other DSi-Enhanced cartridges? If so, do the dumps give the same issue?

Only Sonic Classic Collection. Though I can set the CPU speed to DSi and it works. You can tell because in the Blue Sphere minigames the graphics glitch a bit like they do when run from the Retail cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...