Hacking DSi LL/XL battery

jon92388

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I called up the big N to order a replacement battery for my DSi LL and the sales rep answers and I say Id like to order a battery my battery life hasn't been so good lately. He goes ok I can help you with that what system do you need the battery for? So I said I need it for my DSi LL and he goes LL? (he seems stunned lol) Don't you mean XL? I said yeah its the XL just its called the LL in Japan. So he goes so you are calling from Japan? Im like no I just have an imported console. How much does the battery cost? He says 15 dollars but I wouldn't advise you to use it I am not sure if they are the same. At this point I'm in disbelief at the stupidity of this guy and say I will just buy it anyways then he tells me to go to support.nintendo.com to order it and I hang up on him. I really can't believe he had no clue what he is doing and he is one of their reps. Have any of you ever had problems with them before?

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think he was stupid at all, I think you are being unreasonable. I am sure Nintendo does phone support regionally, so they make sure their reps in each region are trained on the products available in their area. If you buy and import an out of region product, I don't see how you can be upset when they don't know wth you're talking about.

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
You can get cheaper 3rd party batteries with similar capacity a lot cheaper than 15 bucks.

Well anyway my little Sister's pink DS lite was having charging issues so I called up a service rep.

We went through the standard stuff, switching outlets/swapping chargers, removing the battery, we finally came to the conclusion that the charging port was bad and the whole unit would need to be replaced.

So I asked how much that would cost, and she said 75 dollars since it was outside of warranty; I told I couldn't afford that price just now and that was that.

jon92388

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ddity said:
I don't think he was stupid at all, I think you are being unreasonable. I am sure Nintendo does phone support regionally, so they make sure their reps in each region are trained on the products available in their area. If you buy and import an out of region product, I don't see how you can be upset when they don't know wth you're talking about.

But not knowing the battery is the same is stupid it should be common sense. The system is basically the same as the American version the only difference is software.

jon92388

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monty Kensicle said:
You can get cheaper 3rd party batteries with similar capacity a lot cheaper than 15 bucks.

I know but I just like to keep everything with their real brand I just feel safer that way

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Its a product he obviously hadn't been trained in, has a different name and is from a foreign country, so I fail to see how it's common sense it would be the same. I wouldn't automatically assume DS batteries from NA are the same as in Eur, because there is a different AC standard.

jon92388

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ddity said:
Its a product he obviously hadn't been trained in, has a different name and is from a foreign country, so I fail to see how it's common sense it would be the same. I wouldn't automatically assume DS batteries from NA are the same as in Eur, because there is a different AC standard.

Japan and NA do use the same though the charger is the same for both regions and why wouldn't they? The plug is different yeah but the batteries and insides of the system should be the same.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My point is that its not common knowledge, I had no idea they used the same power, and I doubt most people would know that kind of thing. That you expect them to have knowledge that they have no reason to posses is the definition of unreasonable.

jon92388

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ddity said:
My point is that its not common knowledge, I had no idea they used the same power, and I doubt most people would know that kind of thing. That you expect them to have knowledge that they have no reason to posses is the definition of unreasonable.
I still think a nintendo rep should know that nintendo's products are pretty much the same globally especially something like a battery and I can not be the first one to ever call them with an imported system.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Its all about money. It costs money to train phone reps, and more of it the more you have to teach them. Obviously this is not a common enough issue that they care to waste all that money teach all regional employees all the products from all regions. I guess they figure if you take a product outside of its region, you're sol when it comes to tech support.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Keep in mind, this guy probably only earns minimum wage -- and may even be in India or a cheaper country, etc...

He isn't paid well enough to know everything about everything... So cut him some slack.

bennyheartless

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you got someone you could understand, I'd consider it a win. I'm going to play both sides on the argument that he should have known though. I had a similar situation when I was thinking about getting my dsi*ahem* LL. I wasn't really happy with how well my m3i zero was running on my dslite and assumed it had something to do with the fact that I didn't have the ram expansion. I went to gamestop *shudder* and asked if there was more ram in the newer systems. They just looked at me like deer in headlights and said, "They don't give us the tech specs." So, I gave them my theory. There is no ram expansion on the newer systems but they run *well, that's a different argument* the Opera Browser. The dslite requires the ram expansion to do so. Therefore, there must be more ram in the new systems. I asked if that made sense. There was a long pause and they said, "They don't give us the tech specs."
Now I was pretty shocked. I figure if you're selling a product you should know something about it. I left feeling like they were pretty much idiots. I still kind of do. But, in retrospect, that's not something that is advertised anywhere on a package and they're in the business of selling what they can show you. So I guess you can't fault them completely for not knowing what's under the hood. You can, however fault them with being an upscale pawn shop that will hopefully go out of business eventually when people start realizing how much cheaper everything is online.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bennyheartless said:
If you got someone you could understand, I'd consider it a win. I'm going to play both sides on the argument that he should have known though. I had a similar situation when I was thinking about getting my dsi*ahem* LL. I wasn't really happy with how well my m3i zero was running on my dslite and assumed it had something to do with the fact that I didn't have the ram expansion. I went to gamestop *shudder* and asked if there was more ram in the newer systems. They just looked at me like deer in headlights and said, "They don't give us the tech specs." So, I gave them my theory. There is no ram expansion on the newer systems but they run *well, that's a different argument* the Opera Browser. The dslite requires the ram expansion to do so. Therefore, there must be more ram in the new systems. I asked if that made sense. There was a long pause and they said, "They don't give us the tech specs."
Now I was pretty shocked. I figure if you're selling a product you should know something about it. I left feeling like they were pretty much idiots. I still kind of do. But, in retrospect, that's not something that is advertised anywhere on a package and they're in the business of selling what they can show you. So I guess you can't fault them completely for not knowing what's under the hood. You can, however fault them with being an upscale pawn shop that will hopefully go out of business eventually when people start realizing how much cheaper everything is online.

maybe you don't understand when they say "They don't give us the tech specs", the mean stop asking, because you're starting to sound like an inconsiderate jerk. these people are trained to sell stuff, not to master the difference between the specifications of the lite vs the XL. like you said, it's in the internet. try searching for it next time.

oh, yeah, bout the DSi *AHEM* XL. it's your problem, man. you know that saying "when in rome do as the romans do"??? i might as well be asking an american the football scores of last night's EPL matches, and they'll prob tell me the cowboys beat the crap outta another something-or-other team. you're in AMERICA, NOT JAPAN . call it the XL coz it makes you look stupid saying that it's the "LL" coz you imported it. might as well ask the poor sap what the pins do in "It's a Wonderful World"

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP is elitist and wants people to know he imported an LL. Why would you call it that just to make the sales rep's life harder?

jon92388

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
W hat said:
OP is elitist and wants people to know he imported an LL. Why would you call it that just to make the sales rep's life harder?

im not an elitist i just always call it ll it was just like a quick thing he said what system i said my ll because thats what i always call it anyways i still think they should have some knowledge of products

jon92388

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bennyheartless said:

i think its pretty much hit and miss with gamestop employees where I live we have 2 with in a 15 mile radius and the one store is pretty decent they know what they are doing and if you have a question they can pretty much answer it usually. however the other one i don't even know how they run it its like a zoo in there.

I still think if you are buying something and have questions about it they should know the answer or at least try to look it up if they don't. not knowing isn't an excuse. it maybe just my thinking but shouldn't the sales person do everything they can to help the customer? or maybe that's just asking too much. (this isn't towards you its towards everyone)

and regarding your m3i i have a theory about it im gonna post it in your op about it.

bennyheartless

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami357 said:
maybe you don't understand when they say "They don't give us the tech specs", the mean stop asking, because you're starting to sound like an inconsiderate jerk. these people are trained to sell stuff, not to master the difference between the specifications of the lite vs the XL. like you said, it's in the internet. try searching for it next time.

1) In America, we like employees to know relevant information to their job. It's unfortunate if that isn't the case in your country.
2)I would have looked it up but I didn't have my phone with me.

QUOTE(Shinigami357 @ Aug 16 2010, 11:33 AM) oh, yeah, bout the DSi *AHEM* XL. it's your problem, man. you know that saying "when in rome do as the romans do"??? i might as well be asking an american the football scores of last night's EPL matches, and they'll prob tell me the cowboys beat the crap outta another something-or-other team. you're in AMERICA, NOT JAPAN . call it the XL coz it makes you look stupid saying that it's the "LL" coz you imported it. might as well ask the poor sap what the pins do in "It's a Wonderful World"

1)Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying. I put emphasis on the LL because I always call it an XL. It's what it says on the package, it's what it is.
2)Maybe learn to spell "coz" yer doin it not so grt

Funny how I'm the only one who got an edit when other people are being inflammatory. Gbatemp: A place for opinions (wait wait, not yours BH)

jon92388

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bennyheartless said:
1) In America, we like employees to know relevant information to their job. It's unfortunate if that isn't the case in your country.

Yeah it seems this must be an American only thing because everyone else has been from other countries. I don't know before I spend my money I like to know everything possible and I am ok if they don't know but they should still make and effort to try and find out. My first job when I was 16 was a stock boy at a local supermarket their number one rule was if a customer asks for help you do everything you can to help them and if you can't you find someone who can. I always thought every business here especially big ones are usually run like that so I guess its just we Americans are just too spoiled as consumers as the rest of the world would have it.

It sucks that you were the only one who was edited there there was some other posts that were definitely flammable.

As a side note I have had good support from Nintendo in the past its just this one guy wasn't professional at all and that's what bothered me

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bennyheartless said:
Shinigami357 said:

2)I would have looked it up but I didn't have my phone with me.

QUOTE(Shinigami357 @ Aug 16 2010, 11:33 AM) oh, yeah, bout the DSi *AHEM* XL. it's your problem, man. you know that saying "when in rome do as the romans do"??? i might as well be asking an american the football scores of last night's EPL matches, and they'll prob tell me the cowboys beat the crap outta another something-or-other team. you're in AMERICA, NOT JAPAN . call it the XL coz it makes you look stupid saying that it's the "LL" coz you imported it. might as well ask the poor sap what the pins do in "It's a Wonderful World"

1)Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying. I put emphasis on the LL because I always call it an XL. It's what it says on the package, it's what it is.
2)Maybe learn to spell "coz" yer doin it not so grt

Funny how I'm the only one who got an edit when other people are being inflammatory. Gbatemp: A place for opinions (wait wait, not yours BH)

Wow. Very well then, full spelling and grammar it is.
1. I think it unfortunate that beyond the Pacific, there are some people have no courtesy to others who are trying to do their jobs, and they've been pampered to the point that they take it that it is their right to walk into an establishment without a clue. Perhaps this is why America has a good track record of having food addled with poisons pulled out of the market after clueless consumers bought it. Frankly, if I was buying something that not even I know anything about, I'd be ashamed of myself. Remember, you are the consumer, you have as much a responsibility to know what you are buying as you have a right to ask the person behind the counter.
2. You mean, you bought a DSi XL on a whim? I don't see how you couldn't have seen the hundreds of thousands of articles written about the system on hundreds of thousands of gaming websites, tech websites, gaming blogs, tech blogs and the like.

bennyheartless

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I bought it on a whim. I'm loaded like that. Someone from a third world country probably wouldn't understand though. Also, what's it like being the heiress to the Massengill fortune?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk