Gaming DSi not booting

Wooaw2005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, my DSi (EUR) has not been booting recently. When I press the power button, my power and signal lights work just fine but I get not video (black screen) and no sound.

My DSi was softmodded with CFW using flipnote lenny.

It had been working fine for years and ran without problems for months once softmodded

It obviously isn't displaying anything but it does flash white when I press the power button to go home and then goes back to black

Any help appreciated

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Recently, my DSi (EUR) has not been booting recently. When I press the power button, my power and signal lights work just fine but I get not video (black screen) and no sound.

It had been working fine for years and ran without problems for months once softmodded

It obviously isn't displaying anything but it does flash white when I press the power button to go home and then goes back to black

Any help appreciated

Hello.:)

That is sad to hear....:(

I think you have also tried

- remove the SD Card and try to powering on
- Press and holding "A"+"B" Button and powering on the DSi

Thank you.:)

Reactions: banjo2

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes, I take good care of my DSi and all the hardware functions (or I think it does). I think it is more of a software issue but I am not sure.

Thank you.:)

Please try to take the Battery out for about 5 Minutes.
Put it back and plug the Charger in.
After about 1 Hour of charging see if it turns back on.

Good Luck.:)

Wooaw2005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you maybe remember what you have done before this issue appears please ? :)
Nothing really.
I tried taking it apart (but didn't manage to) but even then it booted fine.
I think it might have stopped working after a holiday abroad in which I took it with me.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

Any help appreciated
Both screens?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Wooaw2005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im not a hardware expert, but, maybe you could try reconnecting all of the ribbon cables? Otherwise I have no ideas.
I have previously tried to open my DSi but I couldn't. Also, the screens flash white when I press the power button to go to the home menu so I think it is more of a software issue.

Wooaw2005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BIG UPDATE: I managed to get to unlaunch by pressing A, B, X, Y, L and R on boot. It's definitely a software error.
NOTE: My R bumper is a bit dodgy meaning that I don't manage to get to unlaunch most of the time.

Wooaw2005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I've discovered something weird.

So I finally managed to unscrew and pry open the bottom half of my DSi and when there are no screws and the bottom case is holding on by only friction, the DSi magically works again.

Now I'm thinking that it was actually a hardware issue and pressing random button combos somehow did something to the connections and get it to boot.

I'm going to try reassembling my DSi but not tightening the screws as much.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Two new updates:

I loosened the screws by half a screwdriver turn and now it magically works (HOWWWW????)

My R bumper is completely screwed

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I loosened the screws by half a screwdriver turn and now it magically works (HOWWWW????)
Weird. Did you check all the ribbons and connectors? DS systems act strange when not all components are found.

My R bumper is completely screwed
Not working shoulder buttons:

1. Cleaning method. You better be careful not to lose any parts…
sitzend.JPG

2. Replacing the complete shoulder buttons, volume buttons and SD-reader assembly. Pretty easy but a bit wasteful.
SD_and_buttons_assembly.JPG

3. Remove the above assembly and solder a new button in. The buttons come in some plastic I didn't remove for the photo. Picture for size comparison. Tiny points to solder…
Button.JPG

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Wooaw2005

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Weird. Did you check all the ribbons and connectors? DS systems act strange when not all components are found.

Not working shoulder buttons:

1. Cleaning method. You better be careful not to lose any parts…

2. Replacing the complete shoulder buttons, volume buttons and SD-reader assembly. Pretty easy but a bit wasteful.
View attachment 192803

3. Remove the above assembly and solder a new button in. The buttons come in some plastic I didn't remove for the photo. Picture for size comparison. Tiny points to solder…
View attachment 192804
Thanks for your input but I found another strange fix to the bumper problem.

(The original problem was the bumper being unresponsive)

I read that mashing the bumper and blowing into the bumper from the side will make it responsive again.

This is the ifixit thread with the bumper fix:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/45326/How+do+I+fix+unresponsive+shoulder+buttons

Thank you all for input!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for your input but I found another strange fix to the bumper problem.

(The original problem was the bumper being unresponsive)

I read that mashing the bumper and blowing into the bumper from the side will make it responsive again.
The inner parts of the small switch are corroded. Pressing the button has no effect – the corroded parts don't conduct electricity.

Blowing into the button and brings moisture in there → Bang. Switch works… until it dries up again. But there is one problem: Saliva is corrosive as well. In the long run it will destroy the small metal plates and – if you blow like mad into the DS other parts may corrode. Seriously: Don't do → that. Yes, it is worth reading the initial post of this thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...