ROM Hack Dumping the video clips for McDonalds eCDP

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so yesterday Nick Robinson dumped the long-lost McDonalds eCDP cartridge, video here:

Anyways, I mounted the NDS file, and copied the data to my PC. This is where stuff gets odd.
I mainly dumped the game files to access the chiptune version of the McDonalds jingle, but the 9 sound files in the sdat file for this game are nowhere near it. I still opened them in VGMTrans, converted them from MIDI+SF2 to MP3, zipped them, and uploaded them to my favorite ROM site. So, my assumption is that the audio we're looking for is a Mobiclip video.

In data/soc, the end of the documentary has a bunch of *.mods files, proving my assumption right. So, now we need to find a Mobiclip decoder. Easy? Nope. One of the first results was Gericom's Mobiclip decoder. However, no releases were given, just a link to a compiled binary to a file that doesn't exist anymore. The Wayback Machine also proved fruitless, and no makefile was provided in the github. As a last resort, I went to the GBAtemp Download Center, and couldn't find a Mobiclip player. WHYYYYYYY​

upload_2020-11-18_11-6-32.png

the mods files, one of which has that iconic jingle chiptune​

Reactions: Woopox

RoadrunnerWMC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to build a copy of it that runs in Wine (at least for me). Unfortunately, though, it seems like none of the output AVIs have sound. I've attached it to this post anyway; hope it helps.

Attachments

• MobiConverter_unofficial_build_20201118.zip
    123.8 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: banjo2

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!
In an act of desperation, i found a SECOND .sdat file! Dumping those tracks rn, we might not need the Mobiclip vids after all :unsure:.

Edit: Minutes later, the 4th track in the second SDAT file contains the video jingle!!! AAAAAAAA

Last edited by Hambrew,
Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Hilarious :rofl2: