OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
:O

OWLBEAR!

I knew this was in the works but somehow missed all the rumors and leaks and announcements so this trailer caught me completely by surprise.
It looks pretty polished already, considering the movie is coming out next March. Usually this far from release the movie is still being worked on, most effects are still placeholders and trailers are more like teasers put together from whatever scraps are available. But this looks good!

The irreverent tone fits, the ragtag band of misfits finding themselves out of their depth, the casting looks great (Chris Pine as the overconfident bard... *chef's kiss* ), the party's sorcerer is called Simon the Sorcerer, I mean come on. I expect a Monty Python quote halfway through the movie.

Normally I would say I was cautiously optimistic, but I'm unreasonably excited.
Hype.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I too missed anything happening here entirely.

I saw the original D&D film in the cinema actually, and actually despite being sci fi/syfy originals I do find much to enjoy about the sequels (bit deus ex machina at times but if you want a last gasp of 90s fantasy film stylings then you could do far worse). However this looked unrelated entirely so I will leave that.

Also have they given up on the classic rock song done as slow cover thing and just going for suitably sliced up? The trailer was otherwise well put together (nice intro to characters and world but keeping things a bit lighter). There are some great medieval/bardcore covers of Led Zepplin that might even be able to match speed/energy.

You say optimistic... I would want something good/that I will want to watch again in 5-10 years (possibly more but let's not get too silly) but this looks like "wow Guardians of the Galaxy made all the money, let's do fantasy version of that" and that is walking very closely to the already dangerously fine line of unintentional parody. The team of thieves line at the start says someone in there got it (those not aware your group being all thieves is kind of similar to everybody rocking up as a sniper in FPS games). CGI looked a bit... unfinished I shall say but also a respectable amount of practical stuff.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I guess the age of "slowed down classic rock covers" in trailers is behind us, ditto the "creepy rendition of nursery rhyme", ditto "one single piano note sustained", and now we're back to original versions (chopped up to suit the scene). But if you recall Iron Man had that in the trailers too (most notably Black Sabbath in the IM2 trailer). I'll come back to that later.

As for why Led Zeppelin, various connections between them and classic D&D and the influence of classic fantasy on their songs aside, quoth Stephen Lynch:

I got a big broadsword made out of cardboard
and that stereo's a-pumpin Zeppelin.
It's that time of the night,
we turn on the black light,
let the Dungeons and the Dragons begin.

And that's the connection for me :tpi:

You say optimistic... I would want something good/that I will want to watch again in 5-10 years (possibly more but let's not get too silly) but this looks like "wow Guardians of the Galaxy made all the money, let's do fantasy version of that" and that is walking very closely to the already dangerously fine line of unintentional parody. The team of thieves line at the start says someone in there got it (those not aware your group being all thieves is kind of similar to everybody rocking up as a sniper in FPS games). CGI looked a bit... unfinished I shall say but also a respectable amount of practical stuff.

Guardians of the Galaxy did not invent tongue-in-cheek, comedy adventure, or any of the tropes it rides; they just happen to be successful so I guess the comparisons are unavoidable. On the other hand the Guardians of the Galaxy movie (the first one), in tone and in plot, has been compared to a D&D game on the silly end of the campaign spectrum at the other end of which stands whatever resulted in the Malazan book series, from the variety in characters and backgrounds and classes, to the bouncing from dungeon to dungeon, to the absurd resolution of the final battle, so there's some connections there.

On the other other hand, the first Guardians movie was a straight up comedy, and while the D&D trailer has some funny elements, it's very far from Guardians in tone.

We have Chris Pine as the cocky overconfident bard but unlike Starlord, he didn't make INT his dump stat. Clever quips and banter aren't out of place for a class that can literally inflict physical damage with their jokes. There's an in-universe explanation of why he might crack a joke on occasion, particularly during battles. I don't like the "okay, here's the sitch" narration but it was obviously a frankenbite and not an actual line from the movie.

If we're looking for parallels, we've already had a movie about a quippy, charismatic, overconfident hero cleaning up the mess he caused through reckless pursuit of money and glory: Iron Man.

tl;dr: there is enough room for the movie to have funny moments and elements while still taking itself seriously.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like parody fantasy -- Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire being something vaguely recent times (albeit predating Game of Thrones) that did it well. Or indeed for straight comedy I will happily watch Futurama Bender's Big Game again.
This however... it did not click. Closest thing I have is some of the more modern stoner films wherein the stoners behind the camera watched some Cheech and Chong and tried their hand before realising it is actually really hard. It was that kind of disconnect/warning bells for me.

Didn't know Zepplin had the D&D thing -- seen plenty do Lord of the Rings homages* and Elric of Melniboné has more than most would think. Might have to go see what others there are.

*sticking with Zepplin then Ramble On would be my pick (skip to around 2:50)

Though I could see The Battle of Evermore being the pick of many.

As far as whole lotta love then part of it is also me -- it was the theme for top of the pops for many years in the UK so played out somewhat for me.
Alternatively I shall assume it is in turn a reference to

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Quite frankly I don't see parody or comedy in this trailer, so I'm not sure what you're aiming at any more.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I like the community comments so far.

Rni8t3f.png

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
New trailer out.

I hope it's good, but if it's bad the review titles write themselves: "Dung & Drags-on" :tpi:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My deus ex machina early warning alarm is going off but if I paid attention to it I would see about 3 fantasy films a decade.

Some are also pondering if there will be a boycott following ogl update controversy going on.

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Enjoy April Fools videos here with cartoon version of Dungeons and Dragons! Hehehee!

And also Eric.... You SUCKS!!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!..... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I 'member that cartoon.
Where did it play in the UK? Younger me watched about every fantasy cartoon I could find (everything from king arthur/merlin right through to UBOS many years later*) but I only discovered that cartoon when I got on the internet and starting speaking to Americans, and that is with the endless repeats of most things from TV schedules of that time.

*still enjoy it

Or are you going to tell me it was a Sky only thing?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Where did it play in the UK? Younger me watched about every fantasy cartoon I could find (everything from king arthur/merlin right through to UBOS many years later*) but I only discovered that cartoon when I got on the internet and starting speaking to Americans, and that is with the endless repeats of most things from TV schedules of that time.

*still enjoy it

Or are you going to tell me it was a Sky only thing?

Couldn't remember without checking, but we certainly never had Sky. Apparently it was BBC. IDK how you missed it, but it was a firm favourite back in the day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played