Hardware Early Look at Some of the GameCube Styled Controllers for Smash

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks to Alex onley from Nintendo Life, we have a good look most of the GameCube style controllers coming for the Switch this year. Notably the Hori controller is missing but I'm sure that's all because for some odd reason Hori has been damn quiet about their GameCube styled offering. One thing that bugs me is that while PDP learned their lesson in regards to ZL and ZR from their Wii U GameCube pads, PowerA apparently thought it was cool to give ZL and ZR GameCube style travel. If those triggers were analog or immediately activated upon initial press, that's good. If for some annoying reason you have to push the trigger all the way down to register ZL and ZR, that will suck. Hopefully someone will give us a review on Hori's pad soon. I have one Hori pad and two PDP pads on pre order.

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PowerA have a wireless Gamecube controller due for release in November 2018. It uses two double A batteries, has no HD Rumble or Amibo support. It fully supports NSW controller interfacre which means it can be used with any other switch games.

Last edited by proffk,
Reactions: Quantumcat

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PowerA have a wireless Gamecube controller due for release in November 2018. It uses two double A batteries, has no HD Rumble or Amibo support. It fully supports NSW controller interfacre which means it can be used with any other switch games.

All of these GameCube styled controllers can be used for other Switch games. I cant wait for these things to hit the public. I'm not buying them for Smash. I'm buying them because I LOVE the GameCube button layout!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that these GameCube styled controllers are out, how many of you are currently using and enjoying them? My PDP Mario and Link controllers have yet to arrive but I did get some time with my Hori Peach "Battle Pad". It's the same great GameCube feeling. Interesting enough, while the triggers are not analog, they pivot like standard triggers, creating a nice feeling. My only gripe are the stupid rubber system buttons (Plus, Minus, Home, Capture and Turbo). The damn things are made out of rubber. Who uses rubber buttons on a controller in 2018?!

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got one of the Power A wireless GC in spite of having little interest in gamecube or smash, the errant d-pad inputs on the pro and even 8bitdos drive me nuts and this one had a prominent d-pad while still focusing on analog controls; also it can actually wake your docked Switch. The d-pad is much better than the GC original and definitely sufficient (albeit not exceptional) for retro gaming. The octo-gated sticks give 8-way precision that lets you play quite a few retro genres with it too. I'm just not sure how I feel about the gates for modern 3D games or the unnecessary travel on the shoulder buttons, even though that's exactly what you would expect from gamecube.

The gyro is currently completely broken but I'm on 6.0, supposedly 6.0.1 fixes it so I'll be updating to 6.1. Something to keep in mind though for people staying on lower firmware for whatever reason.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,
Reactions: gogaming

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all the trash I talked about the N64 controller I was pleasantly surprised with the game cube controller. I'll probably get an adapter and see how well my old controller works before deciding whether to get a new one, shame the standard gamecube controller doesn't come wireless without altering the size and shape

Reactions: gogaming

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PDP knocked it out the fucking park this year!!! All that hate people were giving PDP during the last round of GameCube styled controllers for Wii U might have had a good after effect. I've seen some reviews stating that the PDP pads don't feel good but that's all a bunch of rubbish. I have two PDP pads (one under the tree :P ) and a Hori Pad and the PDP pad feels a hell of a lot more premium than the Hori offering. Overall, both controllers are still good for what they are but there is no doubt that PDP took everything to heart and did a better job this time. Maybe by the time we get to another Smash Bros, we will finally get some bigger d-pads :P

Hori Pros

* LOVE the feel (not the shape) of the triggers. The Triggers have slight travel with a springy feel but all together it feels very smooth! Gotta give Hori props for this!
* The d-pad! I really do appreciate the bigger d-pad on this controller
* EASY setup for PC gaming. Just plug it in and every button is mapped to the same letter on a XBox pad. Aside from the Steam guide button, no "setup" is needed to just play.
* This controller is basically "98%" the shape of a standard GameCube controller. Lack of analog triggers aside, this is the closest you're going to get to "genuine" GameCube feel before you start thinking about Nintendo's re-released controllers.

Hori Cons

* The Placement of ZL, L, R and ZR. Just remember that this can be fixed by holding in the bumpers while plugging in the controller
* The plastic feels VERY light, almost like you can break it.
* (maybe a con) I don't think the "Home" button is assignable in Steam as the Steam guide button. someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
* Painted on character emblems.
* Rubber system buttons (Home, Capture, Plus, Minus and Turbo). REALLY?! Who the hell uses rubber buttons on a controller in 2018?!?!

PDP Pros

* The feel! OMFG This controller feels great in the hands. I love the weight, the smoothness of the plastic, the way the triggers are wide enough for the whole finger.
* The character emblems are MOLDED onto the controller!!!
* This controller is a bit bigger but not by much. It's noticeable but probably a better thing for people with bigger hands.
* The system buttons are PLASTIC!!! Hori, please take note.
* The packaging! I felt like I was a kid looking at candy. The packaging really screams "BUY ME!".

PDP Cons

* While usable on PC, you will have to take a moment to assign each button in Steam before playing.
* That tiny ass d-pad! Seriously PDP! I understand trying to be "authentic" but I wouldn't have an issue with a little "creative license."
* The triggers. while I enjoy the shape of PDP's triggers, the Hori triggers feel better.
* The system buttons are almost flushed with the face of the controller. Luckily, these buttons are rarely used.

Some Pics!
c1yAIyo.jpg

OpefTh2.jpg

kBwAaO3.jpg

zOr1Jmi.jpg

gogaming

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.exlene.com
XP
Country
China
yes , they don't have rumble

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

to all users, please try Exlene wireless gamecube switch controller. Their bluetooth version will be released in April.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, gonna block you for real if you keep being like that
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Well.... Go ahead my "friend". If it makes you happy :mellow:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Really, blocking him will only hurt you, we will see his messages, but you wont
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, ok i'm not blocking him
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You just got to have thick skin and ignore people online if you don't agree or dislike. The internet is full of clowns.
    +2
    and an 👴 just having fun.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the beach
    Cool :D Wait :unsure::unsure::unsure: Did you say Bleach? :O
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, without the l
    +1
    Enjoy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Enjoy wacking yourself off, old man?
    +1
    Always :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Man bought a $20 a gauge at Amazon that was all fancy digital went to hook it up did t detect shit, then went back and bought an analog worked right away
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 Happens all the time when ordering these iffy things
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    watching xbox direct but the feed keeps getting dc'd, oh well
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    back to MH rise
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's AC Pro which is reputable but more a reason why I don't trust digital in cars
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's AC Pro which is reputable but more a reason why I don't trust digital in cars