Hardware Enabling Sleep Mode without closing system (N3DS XL)

JacksonS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to close and open my N3DS anytime I use CFW because it puts the 3D out of alignment. Since I found no software fix, I looked for a hardware fix. The 3DS (and DS) detects being "closed" when the right speaker comes close to the ABXY buttons - it detects the magnet in the speaker. There is a small little component that does that, and it looks like this:
2aj7xxi.jpg

(image from original DS)

It has three legs, and the top leg is always connected to ground. This component appears to be present on DS, DS Lite, N3DS XL, and probably all other 3DS models (though maybe not 2DS). When the DS is open, the two bottom legs carry a voltage. When it's closed, the left leg still carries a voltage and the right leg is grounded. After noticing this, I tried connecting the right leg to ground without closing the console, and it was put into sleep mode. I believe this is totally safe because, by grounding the right light, you are doing exactly what the component does when it detects a magnetic force.

If you can put together a switch that connects the right leg to ground when pressed, you'll be able to put your console into sleep mode with the press of a button. Of course, this requires some soldering, but it's very minimal. Here's the same pin and test point on a N3DS XL:
34r9m6w.jpg

It lies on the front of the ABXY daughter board:
1pxn5y.jpg

This mod is probably only useful to someone who doesn't want to keep closing their N3DS due to mis-aligned 3D in CFW. If you don't want to open your console, you can instead place any kind of magnet on top of the case around the ABXY buttons, and the system will think it's closed.

Reactions: Ryccardo

mitroux

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
there is even a simple way , just get any small speaker/magnet and put it on top of the abxy button and voila , no need to open 3ds or solder any wires

JacksonS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is even a simple way , just get any small speaker/magnet and put it on top of the abxy button and voila , no need to open 3ds or solder any wires
Yeah I said that at the end. I was just looking for a way that required no magnets.

JacksonS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this option is primarily for someone who's already hard-modded their 3DS, but this applies to all DS models, so it could be useful in plenty of other projects.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, FarCry 5 is an awesome game with multiple endings!