Hacking EVO3ds: Possible new flashcart for 3DS games?

It's EVo3ds the new flashcart of the Gateway team?

• Yes

Votes: 85 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 80 39.6%
  • NA

Votes: 37 18.3%

• Total voters

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
sure, i don't like the way evo has the multirom, pressing UP to change the game..., what happens if the game card icon is not placed at the top left? it would be taking away functionality of using UP to go to the square above... right?
pressing select and having a little selection menu is nicer in a way than having to go through each game one by one

Actually the decision of assigning the Multirom Switch Function to Up on the Directional Pad gives me a strong inclination to believe that the multirom video was faked.

If somebody had actually programmed that in, it would be glaringly obvious on the first debug test that the key assignment would conflict with the basic navigation system in the Home Menu. Add to this the likelihood that attempting to assign a key that is already reserved for other functions on the Home Menu is likely to cause all manner of bugs and headaches, and one is left wondering why it did not occur to the programmer to just use an unassigned key like select for rom swapping.

At the same time it is very easy to imagine a person who is asked to do a bit of video editing to fake multirom support to slip up and forget that the Up button is already assigned to something on the Home Menu Navigation.

This is particularly true if they are not particularly familiar with the 3DS interface and the fact that you can set the Home Menu to display multiple rows instead of just one. After all, if you assumed that the 3DS Home Menu could only display one row of icons, using the Up button might seem like a natural choice for switching between roms.

On the other hand, it would be an Epic Fail for someone who hacks and programs flash carts for the 3DS to be ignorant of the fact that the Home Menu can be set to show multiple rows.

The video is also setup in such a way as to make it easy to overlay whatever you want on to the 3DS screens through basic video editing and masking techniques.

These two things makes the authenticity of the multirom video highly suspect in my opinion.

It is very likely, that the Evo3DS is trying to get people to buy their flash cart by misleading them into believing that all the features they are showcasing will be available on launch when the truth may actually be that these are only planned features for a future update.

As I have said before, there is already precedent for this kind of misleading advertising in the 3DS flash cart scene. A few months ago, MT-Cart released videos which showed features that were actually non-existent on launch. While some of these features were added a couple of months later in the 1.1 Patch, others remain unaddressed to this date.

That is the optimistic scenario. It is also possible that they faked the video so that they can pull off some sort if hoax or scam.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the decision of assigning the Multirom Switch Function to Up on the Directional Pad gives me a strong inclination to believe that the multirom video was faked.

If somebody had actually programmed that in, it would be glaringly obvious on the first debug test that the key assignment would conflict with the basic navigation system in the Home Menu. Add to this the likelihood that attempting to assign a key that is already reserved for other functions on the Home Menu is likely to cause all manner of bugs and headaches, and one is left wondering why it did not occur to the programmer to just use an unassigned key like select for rom swapping.

At the same time it is very easy to imagine a person who is asked to do a bit of video editing to fake multirom support to slip up and forget that the Up button is already assigned to something on the Home Menu Navigation.

This is particularly true if they are not particularly familiar with the 3DS interface and the fact you can set the Home Menu to display multiple rows instead of just one. After all, if you assumed that the 3DS Home Menu could only display one row of icons, using the Up button might seem a natural choice for switching between roms.

On the other hand, it would be an Epic Fail for someone who hacks and programs for the 3DS to be ignorant of the fact that the Home Menu can be set to show multiple rows.

This, in addition to the fact that the video is setup in such a way as to make overlaying whatever you want on to the 3DS screens through basic video editing and masking as easy as possible, makes the authenticity of the multirom video highly suspect in my opinion.

It is very likely, in my opinion that the Evo3DS is trying to get people to buy their flsh cart by misleading them into believing that all the features they are showcasing will be available on launch when the truth may actually be that these are only planned features for a future update.

As I have said before, there is already precedent for this kind of misleading advertising in the 3DS flash cart scene. Just a couple of months past, MT-Cart showed several features on video that were actually not available on launch. While some of these features were added a couple of months later in the 1.1 Patch, others remain unaddressed to this date.

What confuses me is why Gateway hasn't gone after them with a vengeance yet.

Reactions: Hellz92

Hellz92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What i find to be a big difference between EVO and GW is that there's no Chinese hint at anything of Gateway's website and such. While EVO has had several pointers to being chinese now. Wasn't Gateway french or anything like that?

Hellz92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also it looks pretty clear to me why they stole gateways interface. They don't have the skills to make a nice looking website. Their current website looks like a mess, a background with some text put on it.

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
What confuses me is why Gateway hasn't gone after them with a vengeance yet.

A lot of developers avoid reading forums and generally what people are saying about them on the internet. Not only can it just cause a lot of undue stress and detrimentally affect you motivation, it can also rapidly devolve into a major time sink if you start feeling the need to defend yourself.

If you are a big company you would hire a public relations officer for this. But a smaller company, particularly a Chinese based one would not see the value in doing this and instead may just take on a policy of radio silence. This is actually very common practice.

From what I can gather, for Gateway, all they really had was someone to read and reply emails. And the word is that they were ill for an extended amount of time.

Now, imagine being this person, who just got back to work and after a stern warning from your doctor that you need to avoid stress during recovery. Then you turn on your workstation to be faced with a sheer wall of hate mail and demands for explanations the moment you open your email while the development team tells you that they don't want to commit to a release date anymore because all it has done so far is bite them in the ass.

Do you think you'd be up for making official statements regarding a new flash cart that nobody even knows exists or not yet?

Reactions: Carl Rivest

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
Also it looks pretty clear to me why they stole gateways interface. They don't have the skills to make a nice looking website. Their current website looks like a mess, a background with some text put on it.

I've said this before but if Gateway wanted to hide any relationship with Evo3DS, it would be far easier to make their site and packaging more dissimilar than doing stuff like downgrading the Multirom Switching Menu to a more primitive press Up on Directional Pad to switch to next Rom.

I personally think that Evo3DS is trying to make it seem that they were also behind Gateway through cheap tricks like copying their website and their packaging design. This is most likely because they want consumers to assume that the features they are showcasing in their videos will be available on launch when there is a very good chance that this will not be the case.

Most people would just take it for granted that these features will be usable on launch if Evo3DS was created by the Gateway Team but would probably take such claims from a new unknown clone company with a hefty portion of salt.

josh_axey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I smell bullshit.:tpi:

Domain Name EVO-3DS.COM
Registrar TUCOWS DOMAINS INC.
Whois Server whois.tucows.com
Referral URL http://domainhelp.opensrs.net
Name Server NS11.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
NS12.IXWEBHOSTING.COM
Status clientTransferProhibited
clientUpdateProhibited
Updated Date 27-mar-2014
Creation Date 27-mar-2014
Expiration Date 27-mar-2015
Last update of whois database Fri, 28 Mar 2014 14:35:22 UTC

Hosted out of North America, OH, Columbus.

josh_axey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's probably some troll from here, or a US reseller, scammer, etc.
I don't see a Chinese cart manufacturer (cloner or otherwise) hosting a page via TUCOWS/ecommerce out of Ohio.

DeadPixelMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally believe this is a scam. They have a video? Okay- that's nice. I'll believe it when resellers have it in their store and are selling it.

Gateway released only a video at first , most called it fake then it was released. I have high hopes for this being real, i just hope it's a separate group and not the gateway team.

Reactions: Carl Rivest

RocketRon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.guru.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A lot of developers avoid reading forums and generally what people are saying about them on the internet. Not only can it just cause a lot of undue stress and detrimentally affect you motivation, it can also rapidly devolve into a major time sink if you start feeling the need to defend yourself.

If you are a big company you would hire a public relations officer for this. But a smaller company, particularly a Chinese based one would not see the value in doing this and instead may just take on a policy of radio silence. This is actually very common practice.

From what I can gather, for Gateway, all they really had was someone to read and reply emails. And the word is that they were ill for an extended amount of time.

Now, imagine being this person, who just got back to work and after a stern warning from your doctor that you need to avoid stress during recovery. Then you turn on your workstation to be faced with a sheer wall of hate mail and demands for explanations the moment you open your email while the development team tells you that they don't want to commit to a release date anymore because all it has done so far is bite them in the ass.

Do you think you'd be up for making official statements regarding a new flash cart that nobody even knows exists or not yet?

Yeah..conspiracy. Keep dreaming :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the other game where I found newgrounds is new york shark
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Spoke to Tom Fulp the other day, if he can find his old Newgrounds site content like the mini Flash animations from the 2000's that played on the portal.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So far no response, but he did say that he'll find them. Wayback Machine doesn't have em.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast the 1999 versión of pico's school is avaliable (the difference between it, the 2006 versión and the 2016 versión is that the speed of the game depends of the speed of your computer and that it had the og soundtrack)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Another being Pico VS Bear, the original 1999 version before Jim Henson filed a DMCA takedown.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    The 2006 versión was made when the flash portal was made
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many people thought it was lost, but was discovered that he hid it on the same page.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, although the "secrets" system where the game was has been removed. Also pico vs uberkids had a netplay versión that was shutdown, although the swf file has been found
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nope. There are two download buttons on the same page, where you can download the original under a file called "bear.exe". "bear2.exe", however, is the updated game in a Flash projector. P.s. this was on the archived Pico page from 2000.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's been there for a long time, too. People who search for lost media don't look hard enough lmao.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also the pico 2 demos used to be only for the newgrounds patrons but they are on internet archive too (https://archive.org/download/picos_school_2)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Iirc the demos were removed from newgrounds in 2022
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Fun fact @SylverReZ: iirc one of the goals on the fnf Kickstarter stated that pico 2 would be finished but the Kickstarter didnt get enough money for that goal to be fullfiled
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, FNF sucks, their community is toxic as hell.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ its a single player game
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, Yea but it has a shitton of mods with their own songs and stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, and quite a lot of people involved in those mods get cancelled
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Newgrounds wasn't the birth of FNF; rather, it was games where you beat up celebrities and parodies.
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    FNF was born from Game Jams
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    Specifically Ludum Dare 47
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, and Sonic fights a la dragón ball z
    T @ Texasauras: help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUPdNq0qyeA