Homebrew Exist 'a tweak' or qn option for resize screens on new 3DS/2DS XL with 3DS games?

Squall_07

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi,
I like my New 2DS XL,but i have noticed that if i hold it near to my face (like a smartphone) i notice too much the low pixel density and scanlines..
So,exist a way to resize the screen area?
Like,for example,the old DS Games playing on 2DS XL...
If i press start+select with DS games the screen size is much smaller and the pixel density is better.
It could be a great thing to have 'something like that' with CFW,etc on XL screens for 3DS games...

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS games run at the same resolution as the screen itself. With DS games they are lower res than the screen, so you have to enter pixel-perfect mode for it to not stretch anything. With 3DS games, they're already the exact same resolution as the screen, so they're already in the pixel-perfect mode. You'd just be making the screen a lot smaller with no benefit, as well as blur being introduced from downscaling the screen's contents. Text would be basically impossible to read in many cases as well. You'd be taking your screen from this (it's the only 3DS screenshot I have on my pc ok):
cursed_sleep.png

to this:
cshalfres.png

There are exactly 0 benefits to doing something like this. It wouldn't improve pixel density, it would just make you notice it even more because details are hard to make out.

Squall_07

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
3DS games run at the same resolution as the screen itself. With DS games they are lower res than the screen, so you have to enter pixel-perfect mode for it to not stretch anything. With 3DS games, they're already the exact same resolution as the screen, so they're already in the pixel-perfect mode. You'd just be making the screen a lot smaller with no benefit, as well as blur being introduced from downscaling the screen's contents. Text would be basically impossible to read in many cases as well. You'd be taking your screen from this (it's the only 3DS screenshot I have on my pc ok):
View attachment 171353
to this:
View attachment 171354
There are exactly 0 benefits to doing something like this. It wouldn't improve pixel density, it would just make you notice it even more because details are hard to make out.

The 'problem' is that isn't clear if Nintendo 2DS XL has a 400x240 or 800x240.
If is 800x240,could have sense making screen more smaller because games don't run 800 pixels but 400.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The N2DSXL indeed has an 800*240 upper screen (the O2DS has 400*240). [Wikipedia]
I have no idea why this is the case. As far as I know the N2DSXL (and the 3DS models in 2D mode) just duplicates every pixel in horizontal orientation.
This gives an illusion of slightly better pixel density horizontally but results in fake scanlines.
Please set the image to 100% resolution on your computer and go back a few steps to see the “scanline” effect. In this zoomed in picture you can easily see that the pixels on the upper screen of the N2DSXL are not squarish.

2ds_xl_part_of_upper_screen.jpg
As @SCOTT0852 pointed out, reducing the image size does lower image quality further. So what should the N2DSXL do? Leave every second pixel horizontally black? That would look awful. Or compress the image using only half the width? Not really good either.

If you have very good eyes and find the low resolution annoying, the only easy possibility for getting a sharper image is a non-XL model of the 3DS family – same resolution, smaller screen → higher PPI value.

Depending on how powerful your computer is, using the Citra emulator for upscaling may be an alternative.

Reactions: SCOTT0852

SENSENuii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
View attachment 171353
to this:
View attachment 171354
How does one change their power off screen?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N2DSXL exists to move leftover 3DSXL screen stock at a lower price, that's why it has the same scanlines.

Though you think Nintendo could've written some better scaling filters for DS/GBA and VCs that adapt it across the full 800 horizontal pixels rather than half.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1