Hacking External Harddrive - Gamecube Controller Problems

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

So I recently decided to change my Wii's external HDD from an I-Omega 1tb with an external power supply to some cheap little usb-powered HDD (imation 320gb I believe it is. No mention of it in the Wiki), in an attempt to free up more power ports on my power board.

The HDD worked, it would load up Wii and GC ISOs through a few of the loaders I used, but it did have some problems.

When the HDD was plugged in, I had problems getting Triforce games to load properly (even when SD loading was used), and my GC controllers would not work when loading up ISOs. When I plugged in my older HDD, these problems seemed to be fixed. I did try various versions of DiosMios to see if it was a problem with that, but they made no difference.

Is this a normal problem with ANY external HDD for the Wii? Also, are there any usb-powered drives that are still available that will work without problems with GC and Wii backup loading? I just need a drive bigger than 150GB, so I don't need very large drives or anything like that. THIS is one I looked at, but I have no idea if it'll still have problems with Gamecube backups. If the usb powered drives cause issues, then I suppose I can live with it, but not needing to mess with power plugs would be nice. :)

Thanks

Leo Alves

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

elgarta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, thanks for the response.

Based on a chkdsk run I performed on it, it appears to be FAT32 with a 32kb cluster size. I believe this is the same as my other drive that I have too (formatted it the same way).

That drive also game up on the wiki as being good. So it works fine? I would've thought that since it was USB 3.0 that it might've had problems. Well if I can't fix the problem with my current drive I might try that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: btw bc my sup m3 is dead im gonna use its sd card to mod my dsi