File type : Invalid Cia

AirAnget7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Playing on a 4 y old 3ds, i tried to fix the issues but it worked out eventually. But i still have one problem. Every cia i tried to download has this "invalid cia" file type. Idk what happened, i tried downloading fbi but i cant cuz of the error. Anyone know the issue im having?
Post automatically merged:

Also, i havent updated the firmware and the cfw since 3y ago. And this error happens before i even install the cia, it just wont let me install it. Oddly enough i managed to download shovel knight in my first attempt at installing a game, but after downloading that, i cant install any other game

Attachments

• IMG_20221021_194756.jpg
    IMG_20221021_194756.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 65
Last edited by AirAnget7,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The cia file seems beeing somehow corrupted.
  • Plug the SDcard to PC and run in Powershell chkdsk X: r/ (X -> driveletter). Copy a new cia file on the SDCard, then try again.
  • Else Backup all stuff to PC and run h2testw with full write and read test to verify your card is not corrupted. Reformat the card and move all stuff back.
  • Get the cia on PC, copy it to SDCard and use the eject device function. Dont use ftp or some directdownload on 3DS for the cia file.

Reactions: AirAnget7

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you plug in the card into pc Windows or Linux. There will pop up a symbol in the taskline from the usb device. By right klicking you can eject the card (must wait a moment). Thats for preventing thats no process anymore is accessing the card. Because this can cause a filesystem error, if there is still some access to the card and you just pull it out.

AirAnget7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
my 3ds just made a new folder and its full of files called "FILE000.CHK" and the file number just goes on from 000 to 040. Ive never seen a file like that, is that important, or i can just delete it

AirAnget7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, i basically tried installing pokemon x, monster hunter, mario, etc. But in that post in particular i tried installing the nes games remix, it was small so i tested it with that game. im using title manager to install it, when I bought it only came with that. I tried installing it with godmode9 but results are the same

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, i basically tried installing pokemon x, monster hunter, mario, etc. But in that post in particular i tried installing the nes games remix, it was small so i tested it with that game. im using title manager to install it, when I bought it only came with that. I tried installing it with godmode9 but results are the same
I would suggest you install FBI and use that to install your titles with. https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/

Reactions: CoolMe

AirAnget7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So uh, i tried running h2testw on the sd card and it froze i cant do anything until it runs out of battery (i cant force shutdown it), so does that mean my sd card is fake or...?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
my 3ds just made a new folder and its full of files called "FILE000.CHK" and the file number just goes on from 000 to 040. Ive never seen a file like that, is that important, or i can just delete it
Chkdsk created this folder. This are fragments of corrupted data which where restored. You can remove that folder. If really really important information would be in it, it could be tryed with unCHK to extrakt them if possible with small chance.
So uh, i tried running h2testw on the sd card and it froze i cant do anything until it runs out of battery (i cant force shutdown it), so does that mean my sd card is fake or...?
Depending on drive speed, it takes ~3h per 100gb drive size to complete. At the end it wil show a result. So best use a Desktop PC or plug in the poweradapter if using laptop or tablet.

And like recommended use FBI for installing cia files. Run FBI as 3dsx from within the homebrew launcher to install its cia version. The FBI.3dsx must located on the SDcard under /3DS/FBI .
EDIT: 3DS Title Manager is a tool for extracting 3DS and CIA files and rebuilding them. Not to install them.

Last edited by Sypherone,

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backup your data before doing the test, and format it as FAT32 32kb clusters before and after the test to get accurate results. It was most likely just this "title manager" that you were using to install cias, fbi is the recommended tool to install cias with.

AirAnget7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Alright, i managed to shutdown the laptop and basically restart everything(i had a new 64 sd card). This time i installed fbi.3dsx and so far so good. But it failed to install any cia file

Attachments

• 16664385097513656785679925350384.jpg
    16664385097513656785679925350384.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 53

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Re-download those cias and try again.
Also make sure your sd card adapter is in the unlocked position, or try with a different one if it still giving you issues..
This time i installed fbi.3dsx
You mean you installed fbi.cia file and not the fbi.3dsx one. Also that requires the Homebrew Launcher if you didn't have it installed you'd need to use Rosalina Menu in order to install it..

AirAnget7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
i did, I followed sthetix's guide on 3ds finalizing. Worked flawlessly but i am stuck at the installing cia file's, it just says it failed to install it. i tried installing a game but the same thing happened

Pls run ticksweep to remove tickets from previosly wrong/aborted installations.
And use gui-fat32format to format the drive.
And also pls update to boot9strap 1.4 and to luma 11.0 .
I already tried reformatting, it did something, it removed the invalid cia problem, but it failed to install the cia, and yes i have updated luma to the newest version

i might try update the boot9strap, but i currently dont know what that is

Last edited by AirAnget7,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dont know sthetix guide and if you followed some video tutorial of this site, so best ask him for support. Video Tuturiols are not recommended by us for a specific reason.:P
This is the recommended uptodate guide https://3ds.hacks.guide/

AirAnget7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So i fixed the error(my cluster size was still in 64kb), got the essential apps (homebrew, fbi etc), tried to download a a game and presented with another error code, i researched it and has come to the conclusion that my sd card was a fake. The h2testw i run was freezing all the time. The error code was related to the sd card. And to be fair the sd card was a bit cheaper than others in the market.

Thanks sypherone, cool me and lone wolf. Im not giving up my 3ds just yet, im gonna save up and buy a legit one this time, thank you all for trying to help! :D

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i might try update the boot9strap, but i currently dont know what that is
Boot9strap is a custom boot room (the primary hax on your console), which will be launched at boot to be able to launch your homebrew stuff e.g. luma, gm9, ...

Reactions: AirAnget7

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OvD30K-KN3k