Hacking Finding and changing values in DS Roms (Noob Question)

inversalAutoDoc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks, I've been a longtime romhack afficionado but I haven't produced much of anything myself. I figured I'd get my feet wet with what I believe to be a simple project: I'd like to take the DS version of Final Fantasy 3 and change the bosses' health values to match the original NES version. (I don't intend this to be a 'serious' rebalance hack, but I think it would be worth trying considering how sloppy the actual game balance was in this remake). Only thing is, I don't really know the best way to go about this - it's not a commonly hacked game as far as I can tell (having zero entries on rhdn), and I'm not terribly familiar with the structure of DS roms, so while I could attempt to blindly hex-edit my way to victory, I'm wondering if there may be easier solutions.

While I'm trying to accomplish a specific goal, I'd like to ask the more general question: where would someone get started on hacking a game that doesn't have tons of existing community knowledge beyond things like GameFAQs guides? The most technical thing I've done myself for a game (i.e. not using community developed tools for that game, such as AdvanceMap [oldhead moment] or Lunar Magic) involved searching for specific memory addresses with Bizhawk, and while this feels like a similar level of complexity, I feel like that understanding is missing something (or maybe I just don't know the right tools to use).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: i put in my birth year as 2000 instead of 2008 because i was sleep deprived as FUCK and had...