Homebrew Homebrew app Firmware Update Question (coming from a Switch that has not been updated in years)

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
= Background (can skip reading if you do not care) =

So, I began homebrewing my Switch way back in January 2019. AutoRCM'd it and it began at 2.1.0, including backing it up so that it could always be reverted to its "launch" state at any time. When I first updated it, I used something that was not the vanilla update server to bring it up to 6.2.0. I backed it up again in accordance with who helped me, saying it is wise to backup after every major update. After that, I fiddled around with it and called it a day since the Switch homebrew scene was practically dead at that point.

Enter the present time. I took a long break from homebrewing my Switch. Last major changes I made to it altogether were during the early days of Switch homebrew, but I wanted to update things since I caught wind of all the big changes the Switch underwent since three years ago and wanted to see what it could do now. Naturally, I had to catch up on things. The first major thing I have done to it so far is change Atmosphere to the newest version, since I was informed to do so before updating. Same with Hekate.

= Actual Problem =

My issue now is if my memory is giving me the wrong help at the moment. I believe someone said if you update your Switch, you are supposed to do it one update at a time. Meaning, I would go to 6.2.0, 7.0.1, 8.1.0, etc. I want to jump all the way to 14.1.2 because I wanted to try the newer software that requires it. I am unsure if it would be unsafe to just use a 14.1.2 firmware with Daybreak and call it a day, going straight to it from 6.2.0. Or if I should just go up one at a time. I also forgot how to backup my NAND since it has been a while, but it is something I should most likely do after I update it.

I would appreciate all the help I can get.

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There has been case in the past I did read about, where someone couldn'tjust update with latest Daybreak to latest firmware (was a while ago), they had to use a lower Atmosphere (+ Daybreak) version to install the latest firmware this particular AMS release supported, to then afterwards going for actual latest of everything (at that time).

I'd say don't take too big steps but also don't take too small ones. I hope you are talking about emuNAND because then you could just try as dumb as it sounds, on sysNAND you could use the system settings anyway, banned or not.

Here's a general guide for Daybreak: https://rentry.org/UpgradeDowngrade
Here's one for NAND backups: https://rentry.org/BackupRestoreNAND

Bonus tip: use the back button(s) at the bottom of each page to browse through a rather big collection of everything you'd need.

Notshane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There has been case in the past I did read about, where someone couldn'tjust update with latest Daybreak to latest firmware (was a while ago), they had to use a lower Atmosphere (+ Daybreak) version to install the latest firmware this particular AMS release supported, to then afterwards going for actual latest of everything (at that time).
Ah, I see. I think my Daybreak should be up to date since it was already in the Atmosphere 1.3.2 folder.

I'd say don't take too big steps but also don't take too small ones. I hope you are talking about emuNAND because then you could just try as dumb as it sounds, on sysNAND you could use the system settings anyway, banned or not.
I do not understand a lot of the "NAND" terminology yet, but the only thing I have done to my Switch that modified it was I load hbmenu off a game, occasionally the Album if that fails (though I have yet to figure out how to consistently set command keys for it). And the only "non-vanilla" way my Switch boots up is AutoRCM forces a payload so that my update fuses are kept intact. Hence, why I want to use Daybreak to update and nothing in the vanilla OS.

Bonus tip: use the back button(s) at the bottom of each page to browse through a rather big collection of everything you'd need.
Thank you very much. Though, I will wait for a few more answers specifically regarding how to go from 6.2.0 to 14.1.2 (single update at a time or just straight to what I want) on a Switch OS that only has AutoRCM on it and still boots into hbmenu without any menu icons. Actually, a better way to phrase this is that i simply do not have CFW on my Switch.

The most direct way to phrase just so I know we're on the same page is I think it is similar to how modding a PSP works where you can choose to have it be FastRecovery and that is required every time the PSP is fully shutdown to use extra applications or you can just CIPL Flasher to make it so it is permanently homebrewed. I am on the Switch comparison side where my Switch's "FastRecovery" is my payload and I have not chosen "emuNAND" if I were to assume it is similar to CIPL Flasher on the PSP where it permanently changes my firmware.

Sorry about all this extra message. Just trying to make sure I understand everything here.

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sthe nand is the onboard chip that holds the os, profile, etc. Easiest way to think of it (even tho this isn't exactly right) is the nand of the switch is the harddrive of a computer.

So sysnand = system nand or the systems harddrive
Emunand = emulated nand. It's an emulation of the nand working from the sd card.

I dont know psp hacking but from the sounds of it. What your describing is a tethered boot method vs an untethered boot method.

Dutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Im pretty sure ur right just to update to the latest.. No need to go in order.. if you want to check that just let it download the update and then when it says u need to update just open Goldleaf and see what version it has downloaded and dump it and use it to update with daybreak..

Edit:=- Also just remember all homebrew has not been updated by the dev's to work on the latest fw.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I mean as long as your switch is normal (no 1 bit mode due to defective sd reader), you can just jump to the latest.

Just backup all the CFW files and delete it and replace it with the latest then boot using the latest RCM bin file (such as hekate)

robrasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Were you able to solve the problem?

I´m in the same situation. Version 6.2.0, formatted sd to make a fresh atmosphere install (last version of atmos and daybreak), but now I can´t update firmware using Daybreak (it stucks at 0% "preparing update"), and if I install a game it won´t work .

thanks in advance for any help and sorry for my english (not a native speaker)

Last edited by robrasa,

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Maybe this helps, TL;DR: try to use an older version of Atmosphere (and it's included Daybreak) and update to the latest version it supports, before you try to go to latest.

Reactions: impeeza

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were you able to solve the problem?

I´m in the same situation. Version 6.2.0, formatted sd to make a fresh atmosphere install, but now I can´t update firmware using Daybreak (it stucks at 0% "preparing update"), and if I install a game it won´t work.

thanks in advance for any help and sorry for my english (not a native speaker)

Try a different source for the firmware file, have no problem with darthsternie

Reactions: impeeza

robrasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the answers.

I´ve tried with atmos 0.14.0, updating to firmware 9.2.0, and the same thing happened: daybreak stuck at 0% "preparing update".

EDIT: wil try with choidujour or an older version and let you know.

Last edited by robrasa,

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers.

I´ve tried with atmos 0.14.0, updating to firmware 9.2.0, and the same thing happened: daybreak stuck at 0% "preparing update".

are you banned? or did you run pirated stuff on sysnand? im asking because why not just boot OFW, update normally.
then dump sysnand fw, then daybreak install to emunand. and if emunand is causing issues, just back up saves, and create a new emunand from recently updated sysnand

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Thanks for the answers.

Atmosphère 0.14.0 is a very very old version (august first 2020!) update your atmosphère to 1.03.02 (latest) udate also your sigpatches, download the latest firmware version from darthsternie site (yes download again even if you think you have the file and VERIFY THE CHECKSUM).

be sure of copying the daybreak from the latest atmosphere to your SD:/switch folder, and delete any older version from there.

Test your SD card with H2testw, and end start the update again

Dutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
are you banned? or did you run pirated stuff on sysnand? im asking because why not just boot OFW, update normally.
then dump sysnand fw, then daybreak install to emunand. and if emunand is causing issues, just back up saves, and create a new emunand from recently updated sysnand
It doesn't matter if your switch is banned or not. It will still download the updates.
I let mine download the update then i use Goldleaf to dump it and install with Daybreak.

robrasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I dont think Im banned. I use to have atmosphere installed and everything working fine, but my sd failed and when I tried to create a new one, the related problems started.

I can try to do as you suggested, because I only play offline, and dont care about being banned, but Im not a pro. Can you please elaborate a lil bit more (lol) on how to dump sysnand fw and install emunand - using hekate? As I told you, I was used to the other proceeding.

robrasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It doesn't matter if your switch is banned or not. It will still download the updates.
I let mine download the update then i use Goldleaf to dump it and install with Daybreak.
Please, if you can explain a little more about this, it would be nice.

robrasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Atmosphère 0.14.0 is a very very old version (august first 2020!) update your atmosphère to 1.03.02 (latest) udate also your sigpatches, download the latest firmware version from darthsternie site (yes download again even if you think you have the file and VERIFY THE CHECKSUM).

be sure of copying the daybreak from the latest atmosphere to your SD:/switch folder, and delete any older version from there.

Test your SD card with H2testw, and end start the update again
Thanks, brohter. I know its old, I was trying an older version because daybreak is not working in the new version for me. As my sysnand is 6.2.0, I thought about using older versions.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Thanks, brohter. I know its old, I was trying an older version because daybreak is not working in the new version for me. As my sysnand is 6.2.0, I thought about using older versions.
I just make the test:

emuNAND 4.1.0
atmosphère 1.3.2
sigpatches
Hekate 5.8.0

update the firmware to 14.1.2 using daybreak, and all works fine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: