First Bricked Wii U Reported

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
For all you people calling the guy a dumbarse and he deserves what he has coming to him then, yea, while it's not the smartest thing to do, and theoretically you shouldn't turn your console off during an update, the console still should be built to generally survive the process.

I'm sure you all live in places where power is relatively stable, but even then you can never be guaranteed you wont have a power outage, or something trip your circuit breaker while an update is happening. And this sounds like a pretty big update, so I'm guessing it takes a while to apply.
From what I know and currently remember, there is no device that exists that can survive a firmware update/flashing interruption, especially if it's the power that's interrupted (unless there's a device out there I do not know of that has some sort of sub-firmware that can take over while the main is being updated/flashed). I could totally be wrong though, so feel free to correct me.

Anyways, this is why firmware updates come with tons of warning messages and popups that tell you to connect to AC. It just so happens that most people don't actally pay any attention to these messages and just mash the button.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
From what I know and currently remember, there is no device that exists that can survive a firmware update/flashing interruption, especially if it's the power that's interrupted (unless there's a device out there I do not know of that has some sort of sub-firmware that can take over while the main is being updated/flashed). I could totally be wrong though, so feel free to correct me.

Anyways, this is why firmware updates come with tons of warning messages and popups that tell you to connect to AC. It just so happens that most people don't actally pay any attention to these messages and just mash the button.
Higher-end devices (read: more expensive motherboard designs) can have two NVRAM segments and only one is updated at a time, if the motherboard detects that it won't boot properly (won't boot at all, or the proper return code isn't sent within a time) it overwrites that one that tried to boot with the backup.

That's the basic idea, at least. The actual implementation varies.

Reactions: ferofax

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
5GB update?
WTF?

because people fail to read it's not a 5GB update -_-
it's that size expanded because that's the OS portion taken up
it's already allocated even before the update also

I said it was 1GB, but its more close to 1.5gb than 1GB, dam MB maths and closeness
but yeah 1.5GB inst that much these days, its about 2 movies being streamed

crediar

Possiblenator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The update is around 1GB, we can see what tiles were updated and how large they are.

Also nintendo's .wad system doesn't support any kind of compression, so it can't expand to 5GB either.

Many people say you are stupid for turning your console off during an update and that OBVIOUSLY it bricks but actually I think Nintendo is at fault here too.
You pay a heft sum of money and you can expect some kind of solid system and it really isn't that hard to make not brick during an update, but iirc Nintendo already made mistakes in the Wii update progress and maybe just ported them over.

http://hackmii.com/2009/11/updates-and-bricking/

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The update is around 1GB, we can see what tiles were updated and how large they are.

Also nintendo's .wad system doesn't support any kind of compression, so it can't expand to 5GB either.

Many people say you are stupid for turning your console off during an update and that OBVIOUSLY it bricks but actually I think Nintendo is at fault here too.
You pay a heft sum of money and you can expect some kind of solid system and it really isn't that hard to make not brick during an update, but iirc Nintendo already made mistakes in the Wii update progress and maybe just ported them over.

http://hackmii.com/2009/11/updates-and-bricking/
You haven't tried turning off the power on many devices during a firmware update, have you?

The PSP, the DSi, most phones and portable android devices, iOS devices, most laptops and desktops...

NOT bricking if power is cut during a firmware flash is THE EXCEPTION.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hi