Hacking Fixing a Wii without NAND info - suggestions?

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was wondering if anyone here has any idea what to do with a Wii without any nand. I have several backups of the Wii's nand, but none of which are any real good (random code jibberish / injects). There is the off chance that one of the backups has a working IOS, but I suppose chances are slim. None of the backups are good enough to give an actual booting Wii AFAIK.

Anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps sneek could do the trick, assuming some of the nand is still flashable with by luck the right IOS for bootmii (the Wii is bootmii compatible, but I would have to inject the bootmii code in one of the nand dumps, the dumps were not made with bootmii (installed)).

One other option could be an algorithm that tries to combine the NAND backups I have here into one with the most prominent data. Problem is (I have ofcourse, no key's of the Wii) that they have been made with a little bit of time inbetween them and one or two boots.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
What happens now when you power on your Wii? Are you able to access bootmii or priiloader? If not, DeadlyFoez is probably your best bet, u can send your nand.bin and Wii to him to repair, he will likely be able to recover a lot of your data link gamesaves and whatnot (for about $40 + S&H).

btw, if you have a nand.bin, you should be able to extract the keys.bin from it. I can't remember the exact number of bytes, but if you open up the nand.bin in a hex editor, u can copy the last X # of bytes into a new file and save it, and it will be your keys.bin. If you google for more info you can probably find it (or just check how large another keys.bin is so you know how many bytes to copy from the end of you nand.bin). And if you're able to access priiloader or bootmii, u can always dump the nand and keys again.

Assuming you can access priiloader or bootmii, u could probably fix the problem without even needing your nand backup.

FYI, giantpune has an app... onnesswartenegger (sp?), that can create a working virgin nand.bin based on your existing nand.bin and keys.bin.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
That I do not have sadly. @Luigi. I do however have several dumps as I said so if the keys are in there I could indeed perhaps make a clean nand.bin.... Let's see if I haven't fried the NAND chip a year ago or so ;). My new weekend project! Thank you XFlak!f

But by the way, after reading a bit again (been a long time ;)) I remembered, the Wii has several keys I need obviously not stored in NAND. Without running something on the Wii, for example bootmii --> booting an app, there is no way I can easily get those keys. As I currently have no keys. As I will not get the nand key in any way, that is probably not an option. I can only get the general keys from any of my other Wiis....

Shag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have created nands with Giantpune's ohneschwanzenegger and if you direct the program to your nand backup it takes the keys from it to create a virgin nand. It worked good for me.

Good Luck :)

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
WHats the condition of your wii now? Does it boot up into anything or just shows a black screen? Those are really want matters about whether you can fix it yourself or if you have to send it out to get it fixed.

Also, what is your wii's serial number?

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
the most important key that you should have is the PCK. It's unique per console.

With the pck backup in a safe place, you can recover from any possible soft bricks. Using a clean NEEK NAND will work just fine and pair the pck in your hands to the NEEK nand you have builded, then flash it to your console using a Progskeet or Infectus.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Currently: the Wii does nothing.

I have none of the system specific keys of this one. That is why I am looking at this:
http://www.hacksden....l-Brick)-Repair
I can make a backup of a Wii with pretty much 1:1 boot2. I should be able to put a boot2 bootmii on there, as long as it will actually BOOT bootmii then (does it have an IOS included?) I could see if I can get the keys from there, so I can then generate a new clean nand. I'll get back to this ;).

The Wii I have here has boot1b btw, in case anyone is wondering. I'm surprised someone else has already written a guide about this subject. Didn't think anyone else would have this kind of problem :).

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was the very first person to write a guide on how to inject bootmii into boot2 and write it to the nand with an infectus.

In all honesty, unless you already have an infectus/progskeet and a bunch of soldering tools and extensive knowledge, then you are better off sending it to someone else to fix.

Scorpei

OP
Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, I was the very first person to write a guide on how to inject bootmii into boot2 and write it to the nand with an infectus.

In all honesty, unless you already have an infectus/progskeet and a bunch of soldering tools and extensive knowledge, then you are better off sending it to someone else to fix.
Lucky for me, I'm Scorpei ;). I have an infectus here and the nand is soldered up (thats how the thing got botched up in the first place, never trust infectus software). Let's see over the weekend :).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9w_UTPpHjg