Johnald Everyperson
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've just now got around to reading about FlashMe and flashing your DS. From what I've been reading, it's main objective is to allow your DS to boot Slot 2 without the use of a PassMe device. So the question I have is, if I'm using a Slot 1 device (R4), there's really no benefit to flashing my DS? If ever wanted to boot Slot 2, the R4 acts as a PassMe anyway :/

dOoBiX

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.icyhell.net
XP
Country
United States
If you host some Download Play games with your R4, and an unflashed DS tries to download it from you, it might not work. According to the R4 DS review, Download Play doesn't work with Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros., and Super Mario 64 DS.

So... if you had a flashed DS, you could host the Download Play game with the unflashed DS, and let a friend join with your flashed DS. That's what I always do when I want to play a Download Play game with my friends.
wink2.gif

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, consider the protection benefits: if your DS gets messed up due to malware, you can bring it back to life
smile.gif
Not much malware out there, but its still nice "just in case"

Madrigal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Really no need at all now, especially with the slot-1 carts. There is no malware out there and I don't think there will ever be any that is wide spread. If you really want to be safe, let people test the homebrew and ROMS first and report back. You have more danger trying to flash your DS than you will ever have from malware. Plus, Nintendo could start checking for flashme in the future. So they could just say "Well you replaced your firmware so your warranty is void. That will be $100". Also if you have a slot-1 cart, it will make it auto boot into slot-2 unless you hold in a key combination. Seems like all this extra hassle for nothing. So really there is no need at all for flashme at this point. Zero.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The old DS has virtually no risk when flashing, unless you are stupid, and also, your warrantee has already been voided because it is so old.
Even though it voids the warranty, good luck finding someone that will be able to tell that your DS is flashed.

yee

Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
If you're smart and tape the edges of your tool used to short the SL1, there is virtually no chance of bricking your DS during flashing, especially after it writes the block that allows reflashing if you mess up.

There are benefits even if you are using a Slot-1, I've listed a few below.

1. Download play from Slot-2s work.
2. Provides more protection from DS firmware brickage

yee

Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well, taping the sides of the tool is what I meant, this leaves only the end free to short the SL1.

What it does is prevent the tool from making contact and shorting a nearby fuse (when is on the sides of the hole in which you stick your tool in) which will turn off your DS resulting in a brick unless the fail-safe block of the firmware has been written. (This paragraph only applies to flashing a Lite. For a Phat, just stick in a small screw and play around with it for a while and you'll hit 100% eventually)

This is what I've done to my tool and it has flashed over 30 DSes/DSL without problems

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Flashing actually looks pretty damn simple, I know I could do it and not fuck anything up. But, it looks like I've got no reason to. I've got an R4. I don't care about download play (harz i haev no freendz
cry.gif
). Not worried about malware. So hey, no need for me to do it now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/WwFuB1GRKz4