icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got a few questions about freemcboot and memory cards.

1:Does the memory card that freeMcboot is being installed to have to be only for freemcboot or can i use a card i already have that has some save files on it?

2:If i can use a current card with game saves on it will installing freemcboot to this card erase any of my game saves?

3:Does it matter what kind of card i use? Does it have to be Official sony card or will some cheap knockoff brand work just fine?

r9delta

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a Datel 16MB card for Free McBoot and have for months now. It's always worked fine without a hitch and I keep saves on it as well. I have no idea about your other 2 questions as I can't remember the process of installing it if the card needed to be wiped or anything first.

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help.

You wouldnt happen to know any good guides for playing backups using freemcboot?

Im new to the ps2 hacking.

dewback

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1:Does the memory card that freeMcboot is being installed to have to be only for freemcboot or can i use a card i already have that has some save files on it?

No you can have other data on the card have at less 1 mb free on the card

2:If i can use a current card with game saves on it will installing freemcboot to this card erase any of my game saves?

I have not have it delete off the data but I have use the uLaunchELF to back up to a thumb drive

3:Does it matter what kind of card i use? Does it have to be Official sony card or will some cheap knockoff brand work just fine?

I find any Mem card will work but the official $ony ones are the fastest

icebrg5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Will i be able to backup my current memory card before having to install freemcboot?

I plan on using the disk swap method where you replace an elf file on the dvd and use it to launch the ulanch thing.

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use MC that is Magic Gate enabled! (Sony MC, should be cheap enough)
Unless your memory card is filled, you should be able to install FMCB without affecting your game saves. My FMCB install took 3.5MB, but that's including independent exploit and other homebrews.

If you are using disk swap, just boot the ulaunch, once you're there, plug in ur USB drive with the FMCB files (just dl the noobie package from sksapp), browse in ulaunch for ur mass storage, (this is where you can copy ur saves from your MC to ur USB drive in case you want to, just browse to MC0, copy the files, and paste to ur USB mass storage), otherwise, to install FMCB, select the FMCB elf.

you'll get the FMCB install menu, formatting your MC will wipe everything there, so don't format. I would pick normal install unless you plan to use it on multiple PS2, and after that, you should get the install successful. from there forth, everytime you turn on your PS2 with that MC in the slot, it should boot to a custom menu instead of the original PS2 menu with just browser and options...

Now to play backups, Note that you NEED to patch your iso with ESR patcher before burning it and trying to run it with ESR (ESR is the program that should be installed with your FMCB install). After you patch your iso and burn, you just put it in like a normal game, and it should take you to a silver background screen with many options, just pick the left most one that says launch DVD or something, and play (you'll see pink and green flashes a couple times after launching, it happens with all ESR patched games)

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ESR can't read CD games for PS2. If you want to play one of the rare games for PS2 that's in a CD, you need to convert it to a DVD, patch it, and burn it to a DVD for ESR to recognize it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1