G6DS Real in-hand at GBAtemp!

kknn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could you guys please check it out with the "Clean ROM no-patch Tester"(http://nds.truedream.org/ROMTester_1_2.nds) to see if the ROMs can really access the card using their own native access routines ?
So this is really a R4 with builtin memory and supposedly real clean rom support?
Does anyone know how this is possible? I dont see how the encryption was cracked. i think darkfader didnt manage to do it?
tongue.gif

jelbo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Apart from 100% download play compatibility this doesn't look very special to me at this point. Great to see GBAtemp has it in house, can't wait for the review
smile.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since I pretty much believe the G6 team for their word there's not much I want to know. But I guess the most pressing questions are these:

Does download play work 100%? For instance New Super Mario Brothers
Can you use softreset considering the games won't be patched?
Could you CRC check or something to see if the roms are indeed unpatched? (I think there was a tool for this?)

Thanks for all the great work guys.

NSMB download play works, Yoshi Touch & Go doesn't seem to work though. But I'm still getting used to the OS. I can't find a way to disable cheats.

cant wait for the review...but i think we will be waiting a little while for that. my guess would be till the end of the week at the earliest.

thanks for the heads up

It will be day or two at the least.

QUOTE(-EX- @ Apr 16 2007, 01:38 PM)But what about the build quality? I see it uses a case similar to the one DS-X had. And DS-X' case was of very poor quality, it was very weak, many people had faulty ones. What about this one? As I see the seams are not very good either. How does it feel when you push it hard? Does it feel strong and resistant? R4's build quality is outstanding as everybody already knows, how can you compare G6DS Real's case to R4's then? I don't really trust this type of case, without screws I mean. If only it was hard glued...But then again people want changeable cases.
Build quality seems fine. For some reason though, there is a single screw under the label as well as clips... Yeh weird. It does feel solid though and better quality plastic than the DS-Xtreme. On the back of the G6 where the pins are, there is no plastic separating each golden finger. It's just a clean slate of PCB.

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Build quality seems fine. For some reason though, there is a single screw under the label as well as clips... Yeh weird. It does feel solid though and better quality plastic than the DS-Xtreme. On the back of the G6 where the pins are, there is no plastic separating each golden finger. It's just a clean slate of PCB.
Interesting, very interesting. Could you please take photos of the back side? Also, could take you the case off and take photos of the PCB itself?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country

woah... strange!

Nomearod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think that the most important to check is the "100% Download to Play" since this is the great advantage in relation to other flashcards.

Is there any news about the price? If Download to play really works and it isn't very expensive I probably will buy one since I'm still using a Super Card Lite Micro SD.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They really are trying hard to make it appealing by attacking other few products minor flaws
rolleyes.gif

'No need to use the SD card & worry about the ejection problem of SD card'

and the whole simple thing is going out of hand lol.. it started with 'simple' then 'very simple' and now it's 'EXTREME simple to use'

Oh wells, looks like a solid product and G6 was my first DS useable flashcart so.. cheers
grog.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Wow.

Raw impressions
- excellent build quality
- the usb reader didn't work and almost crashed my PC at first.. then I used a different USB socket and it worked fine
wtf.gif

- seems pretty slow to write data (just an impression, havent performed any real test)
- there's a short load time when you start the OS
- when you don't have the system folder installed on the G6 (when the disk is empty) there's a mini-loader, a sort of light version of the OS! very useful if you just formatted your G6 and don't have access to the wwweb

QUOTE said:
Could you guys please check it out with the "Clean ROM no-patch Tester"(http://nds.truedream.org/ROMTester_1_2.nds) to see if the ROMs can really access the card using their own native access routines ?
So this is really a R4 with builtin memory and supposedly real clean rom support?
Does anyone know how this is possible? I dont see how the encryption was cracked. i think darkfader didnt manage to do it? tongue.gif
I just tried it and it says:

Initial flags: 20486000
Game header is patched!
Header CRC: 912D
ARM9 CRC: 994F
Clean ROM no-patch play: NO
Test data: F1480000 070000C4

but I haven't tweaked any of the options, so maybe there's a real no-patching option that I haven't enabled

knocturnal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does Clubhouse games (or any other game that didn't work) download play work at all.

If it doesn't have 100% working download play I'll stick with my M3 simply

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
The OS is buggy
frown.gif

- touch screen/stylus support isn't good. feels quite random, sometimes doesn't respond when you click somewhere (my screen is in perfect condition)
- I put a homebrew .nds in /NDS/ and it generated a bug in the file listing. No files appear in the directory (my homebrew doesnt show up) and I can't go back to the parent directory...
- since I put my homebrew in /NDS/ it should appear in the NDS games list but it doesn't.
- I'm really annoyed by the little load screen at the beginning. I realize it's raelly nothing to have to wait like 3 or 4 seconds, but compared to the other linkers (the R4's load screen lasts like 0.25s) I find it quite annoying.
I'm going to try some more homebrew but I'm afraid the G6 doesn't like them much. I don't think there's DLDI support yet.
- Oh and also I like the fact that when you remove the G6 from the USB reader, the disk doesn't disappear from the OS (windows doesn't detect it as plugged out)
if you try to read or write from it it'll just freeze the window, but it's handy for homebrew developpers when you don't have to reopen the window each time to drag & drop your build.

- The usb reader is quite wide, it prevents me from using the other USB sockets which are too close. BUT a USB extension cable is supplied so it's not really a problem
smile.gif

- if you plug-in the USB reader without inserting the G6 in it, well the reader is detected as a random hardware. On my PC it was detected as different things, "DVB-T something", "EFA Linker", and more (can't remember) etc...
So what you need to do is unplug it, insert the G6 in the reader and plug the reader back in.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
The speed is pretty good! Copied a 64 mbytes game in 10 seconds.

I was wrong about a few things.
If you remove the G6 from the reader while the reader is plugged in, you can still copy, delete & manage files as if the G6 was actually in the reader!
wtf.gif

SO... when you insert the G6 back in the reader and write a file on the drive, it's actually not writing anything to the G6. It's doing nothing!
That's why I was having this problem with my homebrew not being detected.

So basically you have to unplug the reader when you want to use your G6.

Edit: whoops, I'm having a bit of a problem here.
After plugging everything out and in again, any file I send to the G6 doesn't seem to be written to the flash memory. That is, when I turn on my DS with the G6 in it, the OS doesn't list any file and when I plug the reader back in, all the files I saved on the G6 are gone.... did I brick my G6 already? :'(

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haha, that's one bad flashcard there, Costello. If it's really the way you put it though.

I still see no reason why this thing could be better than N-Card. Download play? Who cares for it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same? (i guess i could change it...