Hacking Game Backup file not working

Bongert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had a couple games crashing with (DispErr) and read that just reinstalling the game should do the trick most of the time. So i tried, but i was smart enough to do a backup of the save file. But i wasnt smart enough to copy the save file onto my computer and instead used the Savefile Backup feature of the 3DS found in the Data Management menu. So i deinstalled and reinstalled the software, it ran without problems but i couldnt load in my savefile backup because the 3DS couldnt recognize a software associated with that backup file. I tried manually putting the backup file in the save file folder over the PC but i only got a corrupt save file error message.
now tell me, did i kill my save file or is there a way to still get this to work?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a couple games crashing with (DispErr) and read that just reinstalling the game should do the trick most of the time. So i tried, but i was smart enough to do a backup of the save file. But i wasnt smart enough to copy the save file onto my computer and instead used the Savefile Backup feature of the 3DS found in the Data Management menu. So i deinstalled and reinstalled the software, it ran without problems but i couldnt load in my savefile backup because the 3DS couldnt recognize a software associated with that backup file. I tried manually putting the backup file in the save file folder over the PC but i only got a corrupt save file error message.
now tell me, did i kill my save file or is there a way to still get this to work?
You will need to create a savefile for the game you reinstalled. Once thats in place, you can use jksm or checkpoint to overwrite that save with the one you had

Bongert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dont know if i did it right. I still get the corrupted safe file error. I created a folder in the right place and put my old file in and after reloading the save in checkpoint it said it was successful but the game says otherwise

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Dont know if i did it right. I still get the corrupted safe file error. I created a folder in the right place and put my old file in and after reloading the save in checkpoint it said it was successful but the game says otherwise
im just now seeing that in the activity log i have two entries for that particular game, one with the right play time and dates and a new one with only a couple of minutes. dont know if its anything noteworthy but doesnt that mean there are two safes the system is reading?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

im just now seeing that in the activity log i have two entries for that particular game, one with the right play time and dates and a new one with only a couple of minutes. dont know if its anything noteworthy but doesnt that mean there are two safes the system is reading?
game carts and digital titles will read as separate in the logs. What game are you trying to load anyways.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would it be bad if i did overwrite anyways? im already done with the first two ^^
It's fine if you already ran the first two (2) under Full Format instead of Quick Format. Just continue with the last two programs in Quick. The reason why Full Format is not done is because it takes too long and the step 3's H2testw basically does a Full Format when it fills ups the SD card during its Write phase.

Reactions: Bongert

Bongert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's fine if you already ran the first two (2) under Full Format instead of Quick Format. Just continue with the last two programs in Quick. The reason why Full Format is not done is because it takes too long and the step 3's H2testw basically does a Full Format when it fills ups the SD card during its Write phase.
im done now. The H2Testw showed no errors with my sd card, and after putting all my stuff back on the save file would still show as corrupt when using Checkpoint and wont load at all through the Data Management menu. Though i dont know how this whole reformatting thing wouldve helped with that anyway.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im done now. The H2Testw showed no errors with my sd card, and after putting all my stuff back on the save file would still show as corrupt when using Checkpoint and wont load at all through the Data Management menu. Though i dont know how this whole reformatting thing wouldve helped with that anyway.
Keep a copy of everything from the SD card on the computer. Salvage the games, dlcs, updates, saves, and extdata in the Nintendo 3DS folder like in these examples. I recommend following Path (B) when rebuilding the folder.

Reactions: Bongert and fmkid

Bongert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Keep a copy of everything from the SD card on the computer. Salvage the games, dlcs, updates, saves, and extdata in the Nintendo 3DS folder like in these examples. I recommend following Path (B) when rebuilding the folder.
im at the sysnand backup part and ive tried both options and both failed. I have enough space on my SD card, so this shouldnt be the issue. Should i just proceed without the backup?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im at the sysnand backup part and ive tried both options and both failed. I have enough space on my SD card, so this shouldnt be the issue. Should i just proceed without the backup?
When using the CTRTransfer (Type D9) script, you are not to follow the Instructions for the CTRTransfer option. That's used to repair the 3DS firmware + custom firmware.

Please read those example threads in that link in how to go about repairing the Nintendo 3DS folder with the script's Rebuild 3DS Database(B) Full as described in Path (B); ignore the fact that your SD card technically passed H2testw.

EDIT - As for why your attempts to backup the SysNAND *.bin image have failed despite having enough free space, your SD card may be going bad like this.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Bongert

Bongert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ive done the full rebuild 3ds Database and got a message with insertion failed something something. when opening FBI i only found a single .cia game file in gm9/out folder.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive done the full rebuild 3ds Database and got a message with insertion failed something something. when opening FBI i only found a single .cia game file in gm9/out folder.
Take a look in the sdmc:/gm9/out/cias (proper)_<ID0>/missing_titles.txt, and find/download/collect replacement CIAs by their TitleIDs.
Once you have all the CIAs, finish the rest of steps 7B–10B.

At this point, you should be able to restore the saves without crashing.
  • HOME MenuSystem SettingsData ManagementNintendo 3DSSave-Data BackupRestore → etc.
If restoring the saves is not coming up, make sure the SD card has those backups like this.
  • sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/backup/000/
    • 00040000<TID_LOW>/00000001.sav
    • 00040000<TID_LOW>/00000001.sav

Reactions: Bongert and fmkid

Bongert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i tried doing 1b again without doing anything different than my last attempt and now i get "Detected 'title_<ID0>' folder. Resolve previous run with '(1b) Backup CIAs & Saves'.

also, the missing_titles.txt was empty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, burp +1