Game Boy Homebrew scene?

Soultie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to see this dead console brought back to life, let's massage the rigor mortis out of this bad boy! I grew up having so much fun on this little handheld, and I have recently been messing around with GB Studio, it's lots of fun. I realize that GB dev is a niche thing, but it's just too cool to see your own creations come to life on this old device. GB Studio is easy to use, and the engine can be modded fairly easily, even by someone with little programming experience. I can't wait for my cart flasher to come in the mail...
Has anybody here made anything fun with GB Studio?

Soultie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not yet, still want to give it a try.
What languages are supported?
I recommend it for sure. The IDE uses "Drag n' Drop" scripting that is pretty intuitive (if not restrictive), and GBVM.
Also, it is possible to "Eject the engine", which allows you to modify the C code used in your game. Plugins can be written in JavaScript. I don't have experience in JS, so I have mainly been modifying the C files, and using GBVM for anything that the drag n drop isn't capable of.
Post automatically merged:

There's some very useful development resources here: https://gbdev.io/resources.html#documentation
Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by Soultie,
Reactions: SylverReZ

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The GB dev scene is alive and well partly thanks to GB Studio, but Gameboy modding saw a HUGE uptick when Covid hit, and new screen kits started showing up. I even have some f my homebrew stuff here, all free:

https://jayrojones.itch.io/

I can even burn anything you make to a reproduction cartridge for you, if you want a physical copy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...