Games you unintentionally played wrongly

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Dark Souls. I played it like some sort of Devil May Cry, slashing anything that moves, no blocking or dodging. Also, avoided most of the mini-bosses, had no idea about locking the target on a certain enemy, not relying on humanity... So many mistakes from me. Thankfully, I started repairing about all of them a couple of days ago (I just started it a week ago anyway).

Pokemon. I always rely on a single pokemon, all my moves are offensive, and I always choose to have moves with less PP. I never fixed that, though I started relying on more than one pokemon (two to be precise).

Also, while I was younger, I played everything with the god mode on, then started being proud of kicking ass in the hardest difficulty.

Also, usually, I play on the easiest difficulty. So far, I only went higher in F1 2012, as it's boring to lap everyone twice during a race.

One more, I rarely think my tactics through in tactical rpgs. I just... move the character there, hope he or she doesn't die, then kick ass if he/she is still alive.

And, if it counts, I usually play games made to be played with a gamepad with a mouse and keyboard. So long as it's not a shooter I'm talking about, it's a mistake for me to play with the key/mouse combo, but, I still do it. I'm starting to change though, laying on a gamepad feels slightly more comfortable.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon blue I just raised my starter Pokemon instead of my entire team
fyi not intentionally wrong but just plain wrong killing bond in the facility level in goldeneye and throwing mines at the toilet (at the stall you drop down from at the beginning) and blowing him up while standing on the toilet, damn that constipation

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Rebelstar: Tactical Command on the GBA. I didn't realize until relatively late in the game that the supplies didn't reset between missions, and that once your (very) limited cache of weapons is out, you have nothing to equip your team with for the next mission. And I didn't want to start the game from the beginning. So I spent a few missions sneaking around and knifing aliens ninja style (because I had no guns), and then amassing weaponry the rest of the game.

Same with morale points in Yggdra Union :ph34r: Wandering around the map in search of items (and every turn not spent attacking, really) seemed like such a waste of turns, especially with the enemy nipping at my heels all the time, so I didn't. Until I got irretrievably stuck at virtually zero morale and had to restart the game from the beginning.

Reactions: emigre

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Rollercoaster Tycoon when I was a kid. Sandbox mode, try to make the most dangerous attractions and/or kill the most visitors. Also give them odd names to match. Throw someone named I in the water and the popup would say "I drowned" or something to that effect.

Oh, and all RTS games ever. Skirmish, enemy on easiest difficulty and just spend half an hour doing nothing but building a giant base. In Command and Conquer, proceed by stealing the enemies tank factory, build a mobile base, drive it to your own base and go build all buildings of both factions.

I kinda predicted I wouldn't be the only one camping their base in RTS until you're maxed out on tech and units (on the original C&C, I even thought it was MEANT to be played so you wouldn't lose a single unit).

...but the rollercoaster tycoon one made me chuckle. I played it exactly like that: screw all those objectives*! Let's build the most dangerous rollercoaster/human catapult possible! :D
(this movie kinda says it all)

Sim city 2000 was also fun...in a way. Just build windmills and waterfalls (they don't expire) and keep taxes just in the net income. Then, if you're short on things, make sure disasters are off, speed up the game all the way and go do something else for a while, because no way I was going for a loan! (heck...you had to pay that back AND INTEREST!). It could easily take a decade to build a new school if I needed one (by the time I got back to my pc, I had enough money for that school and continue building stuff).

Fallout (1 & 2)...you don't really need good pickpocketing skills (or 'tickling skills', as that is basically what your character seems to do). Just save it before trying and then try it. Caught? Reload and try again.

And also mentioned numerous times, but...defense in fighting games is no match for BUTTON MASHING!!! Oh, and calling the computer a cheater if they break out of that blocking position somehow. :P

*not ENTIRELY true, of course. If the goal had you set a certain amount of guests in your park, I was more than happy to lock them in. :P

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I kinda predicted I wouldn't be the only one camping their base in RTS until you're maxed out on tech and units (on the original C&C, I even thought it was MEANT to be played so you wouldn't lose a single unit).

...but the rollercoaster tycoon one made me chuckle. I played it exactly like that: screw all those objectives*! Let's build the most dangerous rollercoaster/human catapult possible! :D
(this movie kinda says it all)
Haha, that video is pretty much exactly what I did. High launch speed, random ramp, speed boost + photo and a drop. Also, freefall with min height and max launch speed. It goes straight up into the air, then hits the spiky top on its way back and explodes xD

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Metroid 2 :
Get lots of energy tanks and go THROUGH the lava before it recedes. There's at least one place where I always do it that way.

EDIT :
Also, Mario 64 :
- Jumping off the slide in just the right place and landing farther down near the end of the slide.
- Using water to refill you life when it's actually being counted as air.

Mario 64 and Galaxy :
Long jumping over the lava and bouncing, butt burning, to the other side. (refill life later.)

EDIT2 :
Other mario games :
getting a couple extra lives or just one and some coins and killing yourself to re-spawn before where the extra life is.
repeat for infinite monies lives.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Oh, and
mario-betrayal-yoshi-demotivational-poster.jpg

EDIT : Oh, wait, I just now realized the thread title says "unintentionally." I was just discussing intentional, alternative game strategies.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thread in a nutshell:
mVT3BaB.gif

Someone I knew played Fallout 3 for 15 hours without realizing that V.A.T.S. was in the game. 15 hours. I had to show him how to press the right bumper in combat. I sat in stunned silence for a bit after that.

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I rarely bothered with VATS as the animations took too long and chances are I was a better shot.

Heading more down that path- I fear I probably am repeating myself though probably not on the forums. Original Tomb Raider/Tomb Raider 2 era. A friend got a nice PC for the time (aka pretty much any PC, with a graphics card that did not have S3 in the name) and his brother was sitting there playing the game. We wander in one night and I see him sitting there- "Can I press one button?". Being a noted bastard I got an odd look but this was one of the 3 occasions I was not being a bastard-

The button- F1 and it improved the graphics massively.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For about 60hours into Disgaea, i never knew that the "front" of the desk in the castle sold weapons. Untill that point i had used the item world and unlocked weapons for my characters, i knew the desk sold armor but i didnt know the other side had weapons. I really have no idea how i didnt notice this for so long (i was in a rush to play it first time and didnt pay attention

As a hardcore Disgaea fan/player, let me just say this is actually badass.

As for me, I sequence broke quite by accident in AM2R(metroidvania games, in my mind = wandering around trying to fill up the map and find shit, and kill whatever you can't use), resulting in an insane amount of bitching from a fellow 'troidhead, who I told to fuck off and kept going. Result?

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE DAMN CHARGE BEAM AND HIGH JUMP ASDFRAGE

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I played Half-Life 2 in easy mode. Played later again in medium and the helicopter battle on the bridge was much cooler. You had to keep running along and refilling grenades on the way to hit it enough number of times to destroy it. In easy it was just a couple of shots and a boring trek back to the car.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, too many Atari 2600 games to mention; but Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind. Also, when my kid was about 6, he liked playing Deal or No Deal on his DS and always took the first offer. Always!

ekko25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ever since I started playing Pokemon years ago, I've always played through the game using only my starter. The rest of my party is comprised of HM slaves and one or two Pokemon at decent levels that I catch along the way to keep the opposing Pokemon attacking for a bit while I heal my starter if it faints. Even though I now know that you're supposed to raise an entire team of Pokemon, I still only battle using my starter. I only give my starter offensive moves as well, never stat-changing moves and such.

If I'm playing a racing game, I tend to avoid braking. I usually stop accelerating for a bit instead.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hearts. As a kid, I never read the rules. So I thought getting to 100+ points first was the way to go. Derp.

Megaman Star Force. Played all the way till final boss without knowing how to shield or how to target enemies (to use sword attacks). So other than some Cannons, I basically buster everyone to death......

GTA San Andreas. Screw story mode. Go on rampage. Floating tanks and rushing into an island filled with cops to get an immediate 4star rating so I can shoot down the helis.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon - screw defense, offense PAF. Starter? You're my main man until I get legendaries.

Doom 3 - Couldn't play that game without mods back in the day. I ended up trying to get through it without mods a few years back, realized how long it was, and temporarily gave up.

Any racing game ever - Forza Horizon and Forza 4 have shown me that you're not playing a racing game unless you're driving manual with clutch. It also showed me that any racing game without the clutch option is for pussies (in other words, having to actually shift, not just "hold R until you win and press rthumb to shift")

GTA IV -

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any racing game ever - Forza Horizon and Forza 4 have shown me that you're not playing a racing game unless you're driving manual with clutch. It also showed me that any racing game without the clutch option is for pussies (in other words, having to actually shift, not just "hold R until you win and press rthumb to shift")

Damn straight- I remember doing the EZ5plus review and one of the latest games was Die wilden Hühner und die Jagd nach dem Rubinherz/The Wild Chicks and the Hunt for the Ruby Heart (a German franchise aimed at younger girls) and it had a driving section with proper touch screen gears and more on it. Bastard hard that one.

Trouble for you though will probably be that sports cars seem to be shifting towards autoclutch/semiauto and flappy paddle gearboxes without a real clutch.

Being slightly more serious though I did abuse gears when playing the need for speed games- as it seemed to handle going from 5th or 6th to first at 200KPH I used it as it braked better than the actual brakes, especially in the 90 degree corners at the end of straights that most of the games seemed to enjoy throwing at you in the later levels.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk