Gamestop irritates me

Goshogun1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its funny because 95% of the time I will shop online via Amazon or Playasia. When I went in that one time to get the DSi I thought that I would get lucky and becaue it was such a big purchase they wouldn't bombard me with extra sales crap. Guess I was wrong. Also went because it was 10 mins away from my house and would save on shipping.

The only other place that literally assaulted me with extra questions was "Suncoast Video". Overpriced DVD store where upon arriving to the checkout the sales clerk would ask you if you want to join the club. Saying no usually would lead to begging and rationalization for why the card would make my life easier. Just sell me the goddamn DVD you punk.

Anyway, the only reason I was upset is because I remember that GS wasn't always this way. I guess a cloud of evil has enveloped them and taken them to the dark-side. Or something, I dunno. I guess times change.

EDIT: And to the above poster, I think you are mistaken. I am in my late 20's and always receive this kind of sales pitch bombardment. I think they will do this to to anyone who has the dough, and not just that demographic you mentioned.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find Gamestop employees to be incredibly pissy, unhelpful, and more absorbed into their own life (which is them playing video games constantly) than helping a customer with a kind smile and being helpful. The only reason I used them is for the Limited Edition of The Conduit, wich is exclusively sold their.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goshogun1 said:
Its funny because 95% of the time I will shop online via Amazon or Playasia. When I went in that one time to get the DSi I thought that I would get lucky and becaue it was such a big purchase they wouldn't bombard me with extra sales crap. Guess I was wrong. Also went because it was 10 mins away from my house and would save on shipping.

The only other place that literally assaulted me with extra questions was "Suncoast Video". Overpriced DVD store where upon arriving to the checkout the sales clerk would ask you if you want to join the club. Saying no usually would lead to begging and rationalization for why the card would make my life easier. Just sell me the goddamn DVD you punk.

Anyway, the only reason I was upset is because I remember that GS wasn't always this way. I guess a cloud of evil has enveloped them and taken them to the dark-side. Or something, I dunno. I guess times change.

EDIT: And to the above poster, I think you are mistaken. I am in my late 20's and always receive this kind of sales pitch bombardment. I think they will do this to to anyone who has the dough, and not just that demographic you mentioned.
i actually know a few guys that work at the GS near me and i hang out there from time to time after my purchase (sadly i havent gone much since getting my cyclo but i digress) from what ive seen though, they always bug the parents and those who look like they are the most clueless. if you go in there with a set gameplan and they see that youre not as clueless, they wont nag you as much

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Raven Darkheart
Agreed
They seem to go after the ones who aren't sure of what they want to buy. Im almost 17 and dont get nagged at all. But then again I know what I want when I walk in. It seems to be parents and indecisive kids that get nagged.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sstew said:
@Raven Darkheart
Agreed
They seem to go after the ones who aren't sure of what they want to buy. Im almost 17 and dont get nagged at all. But then again I know what I want when I walk in. It seems to be parents and indecisive kids that get nagged.
+1. You swear like the gamestop employees like "harassing" people. Its come to the point at my gamestop where they just ask "do you know about the site and all the other stuff?" I say yes and then they don't ask to trade in, or pre-oder, or go to the site, and all the other bull shit.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gust went in today and they had this buy 2 used get 1 free and it said that the free one had to be equal or lesser value I walk in and go to buy 3 games and they tell me that the cheapest one is free and the one that is 50 dollars will have to be paid the cheapest being 20 dollars and the other one being 35 so even though there making more than 100% profit off used games they still want to rip me off cheap bastards
mad.gif
rofl2.gif
gamestop epic lulz

Smatchmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop sucks.

I went in to buy a used PSP about a year ago and I asked the employee if he knew about the firmware level (or w/e) on 'em.
"What, for hacking?"
I lied and said I didn't have net access and was just curious if I'd have to update the fw, and the fucker just shook his head and walked away from me.

I haven't gone back since. Treating me like I'm some sort of damn dirty criminal....

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smatchmo said:
Gamestop sucks.

I went in to buy a used PSP about a year ago and I asked the employee if he knew about the firmware level (or w/e) on 'em.
"What, for hacking?"
I lied and said I didn't have net access and was just curious if I'd have to update the fw, and the fucker just shook his head and walked away from me.

I haven't gone back since. Treating me like I'm some sort of damn dirty criminal....

If he refuses to help you, you should have just threatened to call corporate on him. They wouldn't jeopardize the sale of a used item over someone possibly modding a PSP. (That isn't any of their business at all anyway.)

Although I've never had this problem. I was able to go to gamestops and ask for specific PS2 model numbers, have them eject xbox 1 drives to make sure I wasn't getting one with a Thompson, and other things.

Yes, there are ones that are against modding and what not. But if they don't cooperate you can just threaten them. I know I would if they didn't cooperate with me just out of thinking I'm a modder.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop this week as usual has new stuff in like Legendary Starfy and those fucking pigs are charging $34.99 when the MSRP is $29.99. I was in the mall and could have grabbed it, I left, went across the street and some (weird road loop that is a little longer and more time) and got it for the real price at Best Buy.

Fuck them. I really wish someone would find some loose law somewhere in some county even if it's like some forgotten 100+year old clause and would sue their asses for exploitation because they charge the NEW price for USED Starfy and 100s of others over as far as back as I can remember.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is part of business to get more out of the customer. The people who work at the EB Games stores near me are all pretty knowledgeable and with it when it comes to video games, other places they are completely fucking brain dead or their staff are either never around or they just stand there and talk to their buddies instead of helping you like the idiots who work in the games section of my local Futureshit(shop).

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, they ARE still pulling that $5 more than everywhere else crap for new games eh? Pathetic.
dry.gif

At what point would stuff like that be considered price gouging? That IS supposed to be illegal....

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
Fuck them. I really wish someone would find some loose law somewhere in some county even if it's like some forgotten 100+year old clause and would sue their asses for exploitation because they charge the NEW price for USED Starfy and 100s of others over as far as back as I can remember.
Isn't that false advertising? They need to be sued

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Charmandersrule said:
Vampire Hunter D said:
Isn't that false advertising? They need to be sued

It would be false advertising if they called the used game new, from the post I'm gathering that they have stated the game is used, but are charging the same price as a new copy of the same game.

I think somebody on this forum actually posted about buying a new game from Gamestop, only to discover it was actually used. No idea what thread that was in though.

DsHacker14

Trophies
Website
www.arschacks.com
XP
Country
United States
Yea i hate gamestop too >_> I went in and tried to sell them 15 ps2 games and they offered me 6 fucking dollars >:0 So the other day i went in and the stupid idiots left a game in a ds game case along with the registration code for club nintendo so.. you can guess what i did xD

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In response to your various posts on the issue.

1) Yes they still pull that crap. It's not exclusive anymore to the Nintendo handheld gaming line, but they pull it with PSP too I have seen when something is $29.99 and they deem it as a AAA and/or 1st party title they'll jack it up $5.

2) Yes it technically is price gouging, but unless you could get a lot of consumers together with a blood thirsty lawyer I doubt it'll ever change.

3) No actually it's not false advertising, they clearly admit they're overcharging if you read the label and their weekly ad.

4) They mark the games clearly USED, so they're not using any scam other than suckering people who don't know that nearly every last one of their $35 games are supposed to be $30.

And this one you could easily sue them over as it's corrupt...
5) Selling a used/open game as NEW. They as a store policy allow their people to check out the NEW games (used too) and use them for X date, and then they reseal them and sell as NEW. They ALSO will sell the last copy they have they cut open and gut into a stupid scratchy CD case to put the case on display for all the dirty ear dripping, nose picking, sneezy, drooly, nasty ass people to finger through the paperwork, codes(club nintendo freebies!), and the box itself. They should be required to sell that stuff as used if you demand it, but they refuse and demand you wait or get it at another store.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Mmmm... Wow, that is a LOT of ranting. I come from a country where there are NO Gamestops OR online stores (Amazon won't ship VG to Bolivia) so I actually enjoy just hanging around, watching the boxes, being surrounded by so many games, good memories and future adventures, for some reason all those stores always amaze me, even 2 years after I've been living here.

I do understand what many people here is complaining about, in many ways I fee society is losing the "social" part of it.
Don't get me wrong, I get annoyed too.

And yes I would LOOOOOOOOOOVE to work at a GS or EB games, I applied like a year ago and they never called, and yes I have a bachelor and a master's degree but I just love videogames.

My two cents to the conversation.

Empyr69er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
GAMESTOP SUCKS!

I went in their the other day to get soem component cables for my Wii and the dude actually told me to cut the plastic casings on the input plugs..he claimed it didnt fit on his LG Widescreen..Then my "store credit" card didnt work there. I bought the cable anyways and when i got home I plugged it into my standard TV with ease.. Dudes don't know what they be talkins aboot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But have you ever made ice cream on weed... Lol +2