Gamestop Offering New "Rental" Service

Gamestop.png
Gamestop, the king preowned reseller of video games and video game related content, has just announced a new rental service called Power Pass. Power Pass, available to PowerUp Rewards subscribers only, is a $60 service that allows users to essentially "rent" any preowned game they have in stock for a 6 month period. You can only rent 1 title at a time, but there's no limit on how many games you can rent total, and after the 6 months ends you're allowed to keep the last game you rent out. The only rule is that the game has to be preowned, and it has to be rented in-store. PowerPass will begin it's service on November 19th. There's no word on whether this will be a continued program after the 6 month period ends, but I imagine Gamestop is checking general interest with this 6 month period and will decide based on how popular it is.

This is an interesting move on Gamestop's part, and appears to try and undercut services like Gamefly with it's relatively low price. Gamefly's cheapest package is $15.95 a month with the same 1 game at a time limit, meaning Gamestop's Power Pass would end up being ~$35 cheaper for the same time frame with similar restrictions, with the added bonus of being able to keep a game you rent.

:arrow: Source

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop, the king preowned reseller of video games and video game related content, has just announced a new rental service called Power Pass. Power Pass, available to PowerUp Rewards subscribers only, is a $60 service that allows users to essentially "rent" any preowned game they have in stock for a 6 month period. You can only rent 1 title at a time, but there's no limit on how many games you can rent total, and after the 6 months ends you're allowed to keep the last game you rent out. The only rule is that the game has to be preowned, and it has to be rented in-store. PowerPass will begin it's service on November 19th. There's no word on whether this will be a continued program after the 6 month period ends, but I imagine Gamestop is checking general interest with this 6 month period and will decide based on how popular it is.

This is an interesting move on Gamestop's part, and appears to try and undercut services like Gamefly with it's relatively low price. Gamefly's cheapest package is $15.95 a month with the same 1 game at a time limit, meaning Gamestop's Power Pass would end up being ~$35 cheaper for the same time frame with similar restrictions, with the added bonus of being able to keep a game you rent.

:arrow: Source
Let the dumplympics begin!

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an awesome idea, I'll probably end up enrolling in it. There is just one problem though...

Say if you wanted to buy a preowned version of "said" game and you walk into the store and ask them and they say 'its true we only have one copy but sorry someone is borrowing it right now'

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This is an awesome idea, I'll probably end up enrolling in it. There is just one problem though...

Say if you wanted to buy a preowned version of "said" game and you walk into the store and ask them and they say 'its true we only have one copy but sorry someone is borrowing it right now'
I mean...same as any other rental service ever? They're not "guaranteed" to have XYZ in stock for you. Worst case, you go to another store to find a copy or call ahead and have them hold one for you.

Reactions: Deleted User

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let the dumplympics begin![/Q
I mean...same as any other rental service ever? They're not "guaranteed" to have XYZ in stock for you. Worst case, you go to another store to find a copy or call ahead and have them hold one for you.

I usually only shop for games at gamestop (if I don't order online, I generally don't order online) i dont plan to buy most games but just am an impulse video game buyer and don't live close enough to a city or big town to just go and find things at the 'next' store.

For instance the only gamestop store near me is 15miles away (30 round trip), the next GameStop close to that is 30 and 56miles away, the nearest bestbuy is 56miles away, its next to gamestop

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You know how they could gain a lot of money and really fast? Shutdown the multiple stores they keep in most towns.
There's a town right next to mine that literally has 3 stores in a 1 mile radius of each other.

Last edited by The Catboy,

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in if they have a decent variety of Switch games. A week+ turnaround from GF is rediculous and there is only one video store nearby that doesn't carry Switch games.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
hmm thats strange in toronto they have both eb games and gamestop
They were originally separate entities until GameStop acquired them some 10 years ago, so you'll still find EB games and GameStops both in the same area, occasionally. Used to be that way in a local mall here, one side had EB Games and the other GameStop until a couple years ago they finally changed the name and branding. They also used to be based in the US instead of CA, too, until GameStop decided to make them the main CA branch for whatever reason.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"so i've got a xbox 360, 1tb hard drive, and 20 games" i'll give you 20 bucks for that

this has happened to me too many times, but, its easier than selling it on ebay and hoping someone buys it
It's extremely easy to sell things on Ebay. What.

What is difficult? Mailing?

Sold all of my 3DS games and then some on Ebay. People will buy anything. I sold the box to my Pokemon Y game. Not the game, literally the box and someone bought it.

D

Deleted User

I'M CRYING TEARS OF JOY
I was just talking to my mom about how weird it felt that the Rogers Video and Blockbuster near our old house are gone (we live close to that area now so go through it occasionally) even though it's already been a few years since they've shut down. We used to go to both all the time to rent movies and videogames so it makes me really happy to see that we might be able to at least rent out videogames again kinda like we used to.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this comes to EB Games where I live I'll be super excited. With a lot of new games being $80~ CDN and being less than 12 hours long and having little replay value this would be a lot better than buying a new game and having it sit on a shelf for years after the first time you play it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up