Hacking Gateway and Sky3ds vs upcoming 3ds games security block

ParadoxDelta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I personally own a N3DS with the latest firmware, and was thinking to buy a flashcard for 3ds games (If I'm not mistaken the Gateway can run on a N3DS as well, as long as it doesn't surpass a certain firmware); however, speaking about the new upcoming games that will have a more advanced security block:
1) are they totally off limits for the Sky3ds, or is there any possibility of a new version of that card that will surpass the block (of course it could take even years, but just wanted to know if there's any chance to do it)?
2) The Gateway instead gets regular updates, could it be possible to surpass the new block with them (and possibly, being able to run it with the N3DS latest firmware)? Again, it could probably take years, just wanted to know if it's possible, thanks a lot!

So, I hope this is not a useless thread (or an already discussed one, but I just found scattered pieces of information throughout some posts); if that's the case, feel free to close it!

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) no..... not for years...
2) gw already fixed the security block, but only work on sysnand <=9.2 O3DS(LL, XL) & N3DS(LL, XL)

tivanh

Trophies
XP
Country
How many games do you play?

Sky has a huge library available and not many today have the latest security issue. $100

When they clone the latest cartridge (which i'm sure they will for the $$$), then the next and the next, etc (regardless of if the old sky chip is re-programmable, they will not support it) they will make you fork out another $100.

In the long run for you on latest firmware sky is your option and if you play enough it will cost you far less than retail.

Gateway is surely better than sky, although both have clearly been eaten and shat out by cfw as nothing but stinky over priced shit.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

1) no..... not for years...
2) gw already fixed the security block, but only work on sysnand <=9.2 O3DS(LL, XL) & N3DS(LL, XL)
So you mean ''no..... not for years...for gateway as well'' in relation to the post your replying.

Same as the poster below you. Read the original post 'perceived' gateway fan boys. She/he is on latest firmware.

Sky will also give you homebrew support up to the latest firmware although no piracy of roms.

Gateway has a far less chance of full 10.x support than sky as they need a kernel exploit which people don't want to release for various reasons.

A spade is a spade so call it such. No one cares what individuals fanboy. They want the facts as they themselves haven't fanboyed anything yet and just want a solution to suti them and their need from a so called virgin stance.

Last edited by tivanh,

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Since you're at the latest firmware, don't expect Gateway to help you since they're at 9.2 and below. However, they were patched to support all games very quickly. The Sky can't be patched so it won't work for the newer titles.

That said, it's still a great deal if you plan on playing more than 1 or 2 titles that are currently released. It supports a huge amount of games. If you want to play online however you'll need a private header from a physical game cart that you can rip using a powersave tool (otherwise you risk getting a temporary ban).

ParadoxDelta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, I do have a huge amount of 3ds games still to play apart from the ones I already bought, so what you're sayin' makes perfectly sense! Considering what all of you said, and the fact that being on latest firmware (and as I have read across the forums, it is not possible to downgrade from this latest firmware 9.9 in order to use the Gateway, stop me if I'm wrong about it), I will definitely purchase a Sky3ds , thanks everyone for your kind answers!

Reactions: Ericzander

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Yeah, I do have a huge amount of 3ds games still to play apart from the ones I already bought, so what you're sayin' makes perfectly sense! Considering what all of you said, and the fact that being on latest firmware (and as I have read across the forums, it is not possible to downgrade from this latest firmware 9.9 in order to use the Gateway, stop me if I'm wrong about it), I will definitely purchase a Sky3ds , thanks everyone for your kind answers!
You are correct. No way to downgrade for you. Nice choice!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtapU5nI6G4 +1