ROM Hack [GB(C)] Injection with the New Generation of VC

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would be greatful if a CIA of Pokemon Red with @froggestspirit 's patch already applied happened to end up on "that iso site" ;)
so i decrypted the romfs.bin, where does the rom go exactly? The new pokemon roms are different from the regular ones.

EDIT: there's a Dmgapee0.e68 file in the rom folder. Should i rename my rom this and overwrite?
yup

on another note if anyone has the ips patch for red color mod with vanilla sprites can you pm me or upload here @froggestspirit mediarfire servers are playing up and links are not working for it atm

Elgrosp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, I injected a french yellow rom on a spanish yellow one.
Not only trade doesn't work as the game glitched when I talked to the trade NPC, but it also corrupted my save.
Guess I'll have to wait for someone to dump the legit french yellow version ;)

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not only trade doesn't work as the game glitched when I talked to the trade NPC, but it also corrupted my save.

That's not a problem with roms, but an inherent problem with the games themselves. Trying to trade between different language cartridges causes some problems, most notably the fact that each game is trying to decipher the opponent's language when it comes to things like Pokemon names and the like. Since these titles don't have all languages stored on the cartridge (usually only it's own regional language) it shows up as gibberish and messes up the game since it can't continue/finish.

It can also be partly to do with differences in revisions between region carts which isn't uncommon back in the day. An english cart might be revisionally older than a french cart, for example. So if you're attempting to get multi-language trading working, both games you're trading from would have to most likely be patched for multiple languages and other unseen side-effects in the background.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the Red Color Hack, wouldn't trying to insert it over the Yellow eshop version work better because Yellow uses a GBC version of the virtual console? Or have people tried that already?

Pandaxclone2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
About the Red Color Hack, wouldn't trying to insert it over the Yellow eshop version work better because Yellow uses a GBC version of the virtual console? Or have people tried that already?

That would be redundant. The color hack is specifically made to allow Pokemon Red/Blue to go from monochrome to color, while Yellow does not need this since it's already in color.

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be redundant. The color hack is specifically made to allow Pokemon Red/Blue to go from monochrome to color, while Yellow does not need this since it's already in color.
That's not what I meant. I meant injecting the Red hack patched rom over the yellow eshop release, because the vanilla version of the Red eshop release has lots of palette problems.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

Elgrosp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's not a problem with roms, but an inherent problem with the games themselves.
-snip-

I did not actually try to trade, only talked to the NPC and instead of the game pausing and displaying the wifi stuff, the game glitched, crashed and kicked me back to Home Menu.

What I tried to see was if saves would still work if I injected the same rom but in another language.

Pandaxclone2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I did not actually try to trade, only talked to the NPC and instead of the game pausing and displaying the wifi stuff, the game glitched, crashed and kicked me back to Home Menu.

What I tried to see was if saves would still work if I injected the same rom but in another language.

Probably not because again, language and some other things would be a problem.

That's not what I meant. I meant injecting the Red hack patched rom over the yellow eshop release, because the vanilla version of the Red eshop release has lots of palette problems.

Apologies then. It wasn't made clear if you meant the hack on it's own or a patched rom.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right a few things , i got the Blue Patched to green working without corrupting the Blue save, ne green uses Jap Green Exheader EXEFS and title id.

Tried @froggestspirit patches in a Blue VC and i used a red rom name the .e68 file replaced the patch file with his list. fix didnt work at all

Didnt want to make a new file to overwrote the one named after also because he said name it the same as the rom and i didnt want to conflicting (because what was said was very misleading due to their being so many files etc)

ab919958168392a0533377e2e23236d8.png

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try naming your french yellow rom "DMGAPSF0.J16" and don't touch the patches

It makes no difference, the emulator is the same for both versions, it's pretty much only the rom that's different

Right a few things , i got the Blue Patched to green working without corrupting the Blue save, ne green uses Jap Green Exheader EXEFS and title id.

Tried @froggestspirit patches in a Blue VC and i used a red rom name the .e68 file replaced the patch file with his list. fix didnt work at all

Didnt want to make a new file to overwrote the one named after also because he said name it the same as the rom and i didnt want to conflicting (because what was said was very misleading due to their being so many files etc)

ab919958168392a0533377e2e23236d8.png
name rom: "redcolor.gbc"
name patch: "redcolor.gbc.patch"

Reactions: izy and kohu

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
works great now albeit the flickering.
so the rom doesnt load any of the other patch files because we renamed it and only your one provided

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Save-Editing is also possible with the newest version of PikaSav. But it would be cool if the creator @Ryccardo of this tool can add the option to change between the several backpack items. It only puts my bicycle for now in the wrong section and the game freezes then...

12809789_949913721744523_6386479839147688187_n.jpg

Last edited by Traiver,
Reactions: XRaidersP

Elgrosp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Try naming your french yellow rom "DMGAPSF0.J16" and don't touch the patches

That's what I did.

Honnestly, I don't think I'll spend time trying to figure out how to solve the issue, I only wanted to see what happened if I injected the same game but in another language.
Now I saw it doesn't work as is, time to move on.

At least now I know how to decrypt, unpack inject and repack, I haven't entirely lost my time :)

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Save-Editing is also possible with the newest version of PikaSav. But it would be cool if the creator @Ryccardo of this tool can add the option to change between the several backpack items. It only puts my bicycle for now in the wrong section and the game freezes then...

Ryccard ddnt create it only posted it another user put up the ource code though https://github.com/xJakub/PikaSav

rainparadesamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 40978

https://projectpokemon.org/forums/s...mon-Editor-and-Converter-for-Windows-Mac-OS-X Use this, this has a modern ui and is better than that ancient pikasav program from my experiences

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I emailed someone with a bigger experience in that. I sent him all my files and hopefully he find something out with the gen2 replacement into the gen1 vc releases.

image.png

Reactions: XRaidersP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....