Emulation GBA Flashcard Recommendations

Karzahnii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm looking for a good GBA flashcard to play GBA games for my NDS Lite. Things I'm looking for are:

-flashcards with save/load state
-flashcards which can hold more than one GBA game on at once
-preferably a flashcard which has a connection to PC (USB or Micro SD)
-256+ Mbits
-low price

I'm using an R4, if it matters. I've considered the EZ 3 in 1 Expansion Pack, but it apparently runs only one GBA game at a time, correct me if I'm wrong.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So you want a GBA flashcart with those features and a low price? - Sorry to crush your dreams, but that ain't happening.

GBA flashcarts are more expensive than slot 1 flashcarts such as the R4 and with those features included they are even more expensive. Still, if you're willing to pay for those features, I think you should look at the M3 Perfect flashcarts. Note that you want a Perfect in that case and not a Pro/Perfect Pro.

Karzahnii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By two games I mean it can hold more than one game at once. I might have read wrong about flashcards, sorry.

If those features would be too much for a low price, what is a typical $25ish flashcard capable of?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The EZ flash 3 in one gives your ds flashcart Rumble, RAM (for opera web browser) and GBA functionality.
The GBA games are stored on the micro SD card in the Flashcart (so yes you can have more than one)

there is no 'typical' 25$ flashcart'
the more expensive ones have extra features (like Real time save) and the cheaper ones don't have those)

Karzahnii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, thanks. A couple questions about the EX Flash 3 in 1:
For *most* games, are there any certain programs I need to download to get them to work?
The games are stored in Slot 1, correct?
Do you have to have CycloDS, or does any Slot 1 flashcard work?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you got a slot1 with integrated support, you only need to have the latest firmware to support a 3in1.

If you don't have one with integrated support, you will usually use a loader app (homebrew) to manage gameplay on a 3in1.

After you get a 3in1, you can go here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=130659

It also has other useful information for dealing with certain games or needing certain things for the 3in1 if you have some issue.

wildfire95

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Minox_IX said:
So you want a GBA flashcart with those features and a low price? - Sorry to crush your dreams, but that ain't happening.

GBA flashcarts are more expensive than slot 1 flashcarts such as the R4 and with those features included they are even more expensive. Still, if you're willing to pay for those features, I think you should look at the M3 Perfect flashcarts. Note that you want a Perfect in that case and not a Pro/Perfect Pro.

+1
Got a M3Real Perfect Package.
Works perrfect. Plus Sakura is simply the best firmware ever.

wildfire95

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Minox_IX said:

+1
Got a M3Real Perfect Package.
Works perrfect. Plus Sakura is simply the best firmware ever.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
save up and buy the m3 lite. firmware is a bit outdate for nds passme stuff, but gba works like a charm. i got mine in my gba micro right now. it supports cheats, speed hacks, soft reset, save states, e-books, movies, up to 2gb microsd, etc.

-another world

Wingz136

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd definately go for the ezflash 3 in 1. ive been using it with an r4 for ages, no probs.
just make sure you download the GBAexpLoader by rudolph to load games. if u run the games in psram mode they load really fast but won't run from the ds normal menu. if u run them in nor mode, and tur the ds off, take out the r4 and then go to start gba game, it will be as if you had that game in there.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wingz136 said:
I'd definately go for the ezflash 3 in 1. ive been using it with an r4 for ages, no probs.
just make sure you download the GBAexpLoader by rudolph to load games. if u run the games in psram mode they load really fast but won't run from the ds normal menu. if u run them in nor mode, and tur the ds off, take out the r4 and then go to start gba game, it will be as if you had that game in there.
This thread was something like 2 months old... Why won't people look at thread's dates?
unsure.gif

Rymel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nobody's mentioned a little detail any prospective slot-2 buyers should be aware of - you missed the boat and are largely screwed in your shopping selections now.

most flashcart developers have sadly moved on to ds/dsi cart development and straight up abandoned slot-2/gba cart development. most carts are way out of manufacture so you should expect to pay full price for a used cart if not higher. i paid full price to a friend for an M3 Perfect Lite with a 2 gig card just cuz i wanted it that bad. feature-wise this is the only cart to go with if you want it all and the ability to store your roms on a cart within the slot-2. next up i'd suggest a supercard but i'm not sure if it has RTC. it should also be noted that with an M3 slot-2 cart you have to use their management software to create a save file for each rom otherwise you'll find yourself playing games and none of the progress will be saved.

it's been 2 years and i still haven't gotten around to fully setting up that cart...i just don't care enough to. i've been using my cyclo ds with an EZ Flash 3-in-1+ but would love to finish setting up the M3 Perfect simply so i can have a dedicated slot-2 cart instead of dedicating space in my slot-1 that should be going to DS roms. ideally i'd love one last hurrah from say team cyclops where i can get a slot-2 cart with all the features of a 3-in-1, RTC, gyro/accelerometer for tilt games, real time saving/loading and of course SDHC (i'd accept a standard gba-sized cart sticking out of my lite for all these features), but let's be real here - they just don't care anymore. actually, i'd just be happy if someone would release a stinkin card with a real time clock and sdhc at this point.

i really wish cart developers would just open-source information on cart development when they've abandoned it, just so some homebrew electronics enthusiasts could pick up wherever they left off. at least someone else could've tried to firmware hack SDHC support into the damn cart, or transplant hacked firmwares into a custom cart. building the hardware's not the problem, i can always pay someone to solder the components and pay the premium for SMD components and other optimized parts. it's writing the software for the microprocessor that i wouldn't know heads or tails from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He could make so much money!!! His arm would never get tired lol
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    How are yall doing
    +2
  • VXNlcm5hbWU @ VXNlcm5hbWU:
    Just had a pure banger of a sandwich there, was very nice
    +1
    VXNlcm5hbWU @ VXNlcm5hbWU: Just had a pure banger of a sandwich there, was very nice +1