Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gba.gif
GBA is still selling well
Who knew?
Whilst the ongoing global dominance of both the Wii and DS means that Nintendo has little time left to ponder its older formats, it seems that former handheld favorite the Game Boy Advance is still selling in its thousands.

1242738618sGameBoyAdvance.jpg

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Discuss

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still selling so well because Nintendo was dumb enough to remove GBA support in the DSi. And that's the reason I'm sticking with my Lite. GBA is too great to let go for me, old or not.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that it was dumb of Ninty to remove the GBA port from the DSi. Not only because of GBA games, but because they effectively killed any accessory support for that port. You know, the guitar grip for Guitar Hero and things like the rumble pack. I CAN understand dumping GBA support simply because they don't produce GBA games anymore, so it's not really profitable to continue supporting it, but still, if I was the company that made Guitar Hero, I'd be a little pissed at Ninty for that stunt.

I actually own the same color GBA SP (with the better backlighting) as in that pic, as well as my black DSlite.

This was my first news post and I mainly used it as a test of the news posting script. How'd I do?

EDIT: They say at the source link that it was "emerging markets and parts of Asia" that are still selling GBA's.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Hell all the gba titles in our shops are getting neglected man.... And those that are still sold are in small numbers..... I don't even remember seeing GBA SP boxes anymore....

So i'm glad its selling well
smile.gif

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't even know where they still sell GBA games here.
The GBA rage died with the arival of the DS.
At our stores the GBA Micro didn't sell very good.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing GBA is so much better on a GBA than DS and I really do think people should get a GB Micro while they still can.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mikagami said:
GBA is still Nintendo's best handheld in my opinion.
I prefer the GBC. There is a ton of games that no one knows about, I really wanted GBAtemp Recommends would include some GBC gems but Costello wont let me.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Over here in Portugal you cant find the original GBA but GBA Micro and SP tribal edition is available in every big mall, and alot of games are sold in discount box (the games all mixed together in a big box at 10 euros a piece). Alot of 10 year old still play it here.

Yeah Hadrian, although the original GBA is my favorite handheld, GBC library is very impressive and gems awareness would be a great feature to the site!!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tatumanu said:
Over here in Portugal you cant find the original GBA but GBA Micro and SP tribal edition is available in every big mall, and alot of games are sold in discount box (the games all mixed together in a big box at 10 euros a piece). Alot of 10 year old still play it here.

Yeah Hadrian, although the original GBA is my favorite handheld, GBC library is very impressive and gems awareness would be a great feature to the site!!

Do you realize you could make a killing selling them to the USA through places like eBay?

I can't find a Micro around here anywhere, not even used ones. I've never even seen one in running in real life. I remember when they first came out, I saw them in their boxes, but never actually powered on. At that time, I just barely got into handhelds with a GBA SP and then the DS. I was so busy buying games back then, I had no spare cash for the Micro.

You know, with the release of the DSi and its lack of a GBA port, Nintendo could actually market the Micro's again, along with re-releasing some of the better GBA games. Too bad their heads are buried too far into their piles of cash to think of that though.
rolleyes.gif

As far as GBC.....there's always the emu's on the DS and GBA.
wink.gif

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
As far as GBC.....there's always the emu's on the DS and GBA.
wink.gif
And as always they never really give the right impression.

You can get a cheap GBC for less then £5 but finding a Bung cart or something is harder.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to own a GB, GBC, and GBA and never had any issues playing those systems on a DS. I quite enjoy playing on DS actually. I don't have the money to own a bunch of random systems that I can play all on one universal one.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I used to own a GB, GBC, and GBA and never had any issues playing those systems on a DS. I quite enjoy playing on DS actually.
I'm just a purist really.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to say though, if one were a true purist, you might not even want to see a movie outside of a movie theater where it was meant to be shown. I don't mind playing a game on a different system from the original as long as the game plays properly and all.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Just to say though, if one were a true purist, you might not even want to see a movie outside of a movie theater where it was meant to be shown. I don't mind playing a game on a different system from the original as long as the game plays properly and all.
Movies and games are two different things, trying playing The Last Ninja on the Wiimote instead of an Amiga joystick...its wrong.

TrolleyDave will back me up on this emulator vs real thing debate.
biggrin.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not bashing the real things, but I don't have an issue playing on a different system as long as it feels at least 98% the same or better. If I were to hook up my PC to the TV and use my gamepad to play SNES games, I'd be satisfied with that personally. I'm not picky. That comes from not having any money on my part.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll see hey cod is on Gamepass and go that route