Hardware GBA SP blinks red

g00p

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I pull the ol' GBA SP out of the drawer where it sat for a year or two. It wouldn't turn on or charge so I figured the battery was shot. Put another (new) battery in but nothing works.

When I plug in the charger the led will flash red or red-orange once and quit . This happens on multiple different chargers. When I throw the power switch the screen and red led will flash for a brief sec then go off.

I tested continuity on both fuses and they are ok. I have seen a few posts on other sites where people had the same problem but never saw any suggestions.

A voltmeter on the battery shows 3.2v - 3.3v

Any ideas?

thx

g00p

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
your battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. time for you to go replace it.

So maybe the new battery I got was bad? I stopped at Radio Shack and got lucky - they had a few GBA SP batteries on clearance... The gameboy ran great with the new battery - but it wont charge. the orange light will come on for a brief second and go out. I tried different chargers, etc. I will make sure it's getting a good connection. What else can I do?

Thx

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The GBA SP, DS/Lite/DSi, and many other electronics use lithium ion rechargeable batteries.
These batteries are great, but they have an expiration date. After a certain date after they are made, the batteries start losing the ability to hold a charge.
In short, you're going to have to find a 3rd party battery that's not too old (3-4 years before they start deterioriating) or use the charger the whole time.

Edit: The voltage of the battery should be 3.7V, your battery is dying. Go replace it.

g00p

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wchill said:
The GBA SP, DS/Lite/DSi, and many other electronics use lithium ion rechargeable batteries.
These batteries are great, but they have an expiration date. After a certain date after they are made, the batteries start losing the ability to hold a charge.
In short, you're going to have to find a 3rd party battery that's not too old (3-4 years before they start deterioriating) or use the charger the whole time.

Edit: The voltage of the battery should be 3.7V, your battery is dying. Go replace it.

I dont mind buying yet another battery, but shouldn't the charger power the unit even if no battery is present? On 2 different batteries and without, the charge exhibits the same behavior - a quick blink then off.
Thx

Raulie

Trophies
XP
Country
I have exactly the same problem! Did you solve it?
The problem isn't the battery, is just that the gba doesn't charge.
I verify it charging my battery with another gba, and it worked.

evilishan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
...but shouldn't the charger power the unit even if no battery is present?..
Not for a GBA or SP because it doesn't run directly off the power outlet, it runs through the battery.

But for a Micro, NDS or NDSL that would be true.
hate2.gif
Why the SP!

creep01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hello g00p

i suggest that you could possibly buy a new GBA SP
or
you could just smply send it to nintendo to be checked for problems then to be repaired
that would be much cheaper

Gameboy__Expert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I pull the ol' GBA SP out of the drawer where it sat for a year or two. It wouldn't turn on or charge so I figured the battery was shot. Put another (new) battery in but nothing works.

When I plug in the charger the led will flash red or red-orange once and quit . This happens on multiple different chargers. When I throw the power switch the screen and red led will flash for a brief sec then go off.

I tested continuity on both fuses and they are ok. I have seen a few posts on other sites where people had the same problem but never saw any suggestions.

A voltmeter on the battery shows 3.2v - 3.3v

Any ideas?

thx
basically its not ur battery its the plug you use for it when i had that i changed the plug and it worked

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76bIuU_g6A8