Hacking GBAtemp should do a re-review for M3DS Real

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree, but when / if the official Sakura software is released, at this point it should be one of the best out there, especially with the GBA pack as well

gosp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Acekard - M3 Real - Supercard DS 1 - Cyclo DS. These are the best cards you can buy. I just worry that some people may get the wrong idea and think of it as being under the G6 Real or R4, which received gold, but has had a couple recent major problems

halomasta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gosp said:
Acekard - M3 Real - Supercard DS 1 - Cyclo DS. These are the best cards you can buy. I just worry that some people may get the wrong idea and think of it as being under the G6 Real or R4, which received gold, but has had a couple recent major problems
How would you order those
wink.gif

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
halomasta said:
gosp said:
How would you order those
wink.gif
Depends what you want. The Acekard2 is the cheapest available, so if you're looking for a budget card, that's the one to get. The CycloDS is said to be the best money can buy, but it's too expensive for most and in my opinion the extra features don't justify the price tag. The M3DS Real is the best flashcart for GBA games, and now with the addition of RTS and Sakura it has one of the best GUIs out there (I think it's the best) and it's features are right up there with the CycloDS. I don't know as much about the Supercard, but in my understanding it's a flashcart with some extra features but not as good of a GUI. More and more people are recommending the M3DS Real over the Supercard nowadays.

Also I think that the GBAtemp reviews don't tell the true story anymore and most of the cards need re-evaluations. The G6 and R4 never update anymore, and the M3Real has had so many updates since it first came out that it's a totally different flashcart (basically unrecognizable from the original). So I think the M3Real needs a totally new review done for it. I think they're just waiting until the official release of Sakura comes out though.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
M3 Real PROs
- Choice of two different firmwares (TouchPod and Sakura)
- Unequaled native GBA ROM support with the GBA Expansion Pack
- Sakura has a beautiful, highly responsive interface
- Relatively cheap ($52.00US gets you the flashcart, the Slot-2 GBA Expansion Pack and free replacement shells for it)
M3 Real CONs
- No in-game text reader
- No DS-Wii connectivity
- Not-so-frequent updates
- All official documentation and support is in Engrish

CycloDS PROs
- In-game text reader
- Support for DS-Wii connectivity
- EvolutionTools
- All official documentation and support is in English
CycloDS CONs
- Relatively expensive ($50.00US only gets you the flashcart and a promotional 2GB Kingston MicroSD card, Slot-2 expansion would cost an additional $23.50US)

Other Thoughts
Although M3 Real lacks an in-game text reader, since this feature is an extended application of RTS, it could potentially be implemented into M3 Real as well.

xxmadxx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Densetsu3000 said:
M3 Real PROs
- Relatively cheap ($52.00US gets you the flashcart, the Slot-2 GBA Expansion Pack and free replacement shells for it)
M3 Real CONs
- No in-game text reader
- No DS-Wii connectivity

CycloDS PROs
- In-game text reader
- EvolutionTools
CycloDS CONs
- Relatively expensive ($50.00US only gets you the flashcart and a promotional 2GB Kingston MicroSD card, Slot-2 expansion would cost an additional $23.50US)

Other Thoughts
Although M3 Real lacks an in-game text reader, since this feature is an extended application of RTS, it could potentially be implemented into M3 Real as well.
all true but i gotta ask isnt cyclo the only cart that has ds-wii connectivity?
also i see other carts either with the same rating silver(dstt) or gold(edge) that have way more or bigger cons than the m3 real does . something i have always wondered about
also in the official review the pros and cons for the m3 real are stated thus.

Pros

+ 100% NDS compatibility
+ Perfect GBA compatiblity
+ Extra features like cheats and RTS when playing GBA
+ Integrated GBA loader, no external software needed
+ Good skinning engine
+ Media player and PDS software included, good for newbies
+ No patching software needed for anything
+ Great build quality
+ Fast, frequent updates

Cons
- Download play not perfect (but it's close)
- Homebrew will only be automatically DLDI patched if placed in the root of the MicroSD
- GBA RTS is slightly buggy with some games

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Pretty sure one of the staff said ages ago they were going to re-review the Real once Sakura officially comes out in English, which doesn't look like anytime soon to be perfectly honest.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xxmadxx said:
Densetsu3000 said:
M3 Real PROs
M3 Real CONs
- No in-game text reader
- No DS-Wii connectivity

CycloDS PROs
- In-game text reader
- EvolutionTools
CycloDS CONs

Other Thoughts
all true but i gotta ask isnt cyclo the only cart that has ds-wii connectivity?
also i see other carts either with the same rating silver(dstt) or gold(edge) that have way more or bigger cons than the m3 real does . something i have always wondered about
also in the official review the pros and cons for the m3 real are stated thus.

Pros

+ 100% NDS compatibility
+ Perfect GBA compatiblity
+ Extra features like cheats and RTS when playing GBA
+ Integrated GBA loader, no external software needed
+ Good skinning engine
+ Media player and PDS software included, good for newbies
+ No patching software needed for anything
+ Great build quality
+ Fast, frequent updates

Cons
- Download play not perfect (but it's close)
- Homebrew will only be automatically DLDI patched if placed in the root of the MicroSD
- GBA RTS is slightly buggy with some games
CycloDS and G6 Real are the only ones that have Wii-NDS compat

halomasta

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
M3 Real PROs
M3 Real CONs
- No in-game text reader
- No DS-Wii connectivity

CycloDS PROs
- In-game text reader
- EvolutionTools
CycloDS CONs

Other Thoughts

- In-game text reader
What the hell do those mean? You can read text in Sakura can't you?

Also you can get an M3DS Real + 2GB micro SD + rumble expansion for 35 pounds on amazon uk (it was 25 pounds when I bought it o.O)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Rumble-Pack-M...0752&sr=8-1

Also they may as well review it with the hacked Sakura because A. The official one is never coming out, B. There's nothing wrong with it besides mediocre homebrew support, but with the ability to play roms it can do more than the official japanese one.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
halomasta said:
- In-game text reader
What the hell do those mean? You can read text in Sakura can't you?The in-game text reader is specifically designed so that you can pause the game you're playing and open up a walkthrough .txt file if you get stuck on the game. This feature is unique to the CycloDS.

Yes, you can view text files in Sakura, but not while playing a game. In fact, you can't even view text files in Sakura while listening to music. If you have an MP3 playing and you try to open a text file, the music stops.

DS-Wii connectivity enables wireless communication between your DS and Wii. Only a few DS games even use this feature (I think one of the Pokemon titles does), so it's not that important. But still, it's a feature that the CycloDS (and G6 Real) have that the M3 Real doesn't have.

I didn't include anything about homebrew compatibility in the pro/con lists because we don't know if they've fixed the problem in the official Sakura yet.

QUOTE(halomasta @ Dec 22 2008, 07:55 PM) Also you can get an M3DS Real + 2GB micro SD + rumble expansion for 35 pounds on amazon uk (it was 25 pounds when I bought it o.O)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Rumble-Pack-M...0752&sr=8-1
£35GBP is equivalent to about $52USD, and that only gets you the Rumble Pack and 2GB MicroSD card. For the same price on RHS you could get the Rumble Pack + the GBA Expansion Pack (which costs $22 alone). You could get a 4GB MicroSD card almost anywhere now for $3-$5USD.

naveedy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I EXTREMELY AGREE ON THAT SUGGESTION AND PLEASE READ WHY.

THe main thing is that the reviews were completly confusing, I couldn't understand what was better than what. I had to do a shit ton of research and it took a very long time.

I basically got lucky and went with the m3 real. And i am very happy with it,

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
@xxmadxx

Homebrew is DLDI patched on the root or not, and download play is perfect on my M3 Real.
IMO M3 Real p0wns the crap out of the CycloDS seeing as there are minor differences but you can get an M3 Real perfect bundle for the price of a CycloDS, M3 Real and CycloDS. You compare.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
naveedy said:

THe main thing is that the reviews were completly confusing, I couldn't understand what was better than what. I had to do a shit ton of research and it took a very long time.

The reviews are written when the products come out, to inform you of the product and if it's worth spending you money on at that point. You wouldn't compare Pac-man against Metal Gear Solid 4 based on their original reviews would you. Doing research and comparing different products is your own responsibility. Re-reviewing the Real isn't going to help you compare which carts is better than which unless they re-review every single cart every time a cart or a new feature for a cart comes out, and you can see the obvious problem there.

xxmadxx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PettingZoo said:
@xxmadxx

Homebrew is DLDI patched on the root or not, and download play is perfect on my M3 Real.
IMO M3 Real p0wns the crap out of the CycloDS seeing as there are minor differences but you can get an M3 Real perfect bundle for the price of a CycloDS, M3 Real and CycloDS. You compare.
i was just copy and pasting the m3 real review and saying i agree the m3 real should be re-reviewed
i agree
i love my m3 real w/ triple boot.

not sure what your asking me to compare.

xxmadxx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chrono_Tata said:
naveedy said:

The reviews are written when the products come out, to inform you of the product and if it's worth spending you money on at that point. You wouldn't compare Pac-man against Metal Gear Solid 4 based on their original reviews would you. Doing research and comparing different products is your own responsibility. Re-reviewing the Real isn't going to help you compare which carts is better than which unless they re-review every single cart every time a cart or a new feature for a cart comes out, and you can see the obvious problem there.
actually other cards have already been re-reviewed when new features or improvements came out. and is noted on the bottom of the review as a re-evaluation click me and scroll to bottom. so whats the problem?

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Chrono_Tata said:
naveedy said:

We don't want a re-review for every single cart. We just feel the M3Real deserves one because it's a totally different cart with its new firmware. It's unfair to compare it on the original firmware. That's what we're saying.

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
The in-game text reader is specifically designed so that you can pause the game you're playing and open up a walkthrough .txt file if you get stuck on the game. This feature is unique to the CycloDS.
The EZV also has this feature!

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cornaljoe said:
Densetsu3000 said:
The in-game text reader is specifically designed so that you can pause the game you're playing and open up a walkthrough .txt file if you get stuck on the game. This feature is unique to the CycloDS.
No it doesn't. It has the ability to read .txt files (almost all flashcarts do) but not while you're actually playing the game. The CycloDS is different because you can actually pause the game, read the guide to find out what to do, then go right back to the game. With any other flashcart you have to save and close out of the game to read the guide.

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
cornaljoe said:
Densetsu3000 said:
No it doesn't. It has the ability to read .txt files (almost all flashcarts do) but not while you're actually playing the game. The CycloDS is different because you can actually pause the game, read the guide to find out what to do, then go right back to the game. With any other flashcart you have to save and close out of the game to read the guide.

Do you even have an EZV? If so you might want to update to the 1.90 firmware. Instant Walkthrough/Save refer to Real-Time Save and In-game walkthrough

Open beta 5
Fixed some bugs with inbuilt 3 in 1 support
Open beta 4
Not publicly released, aimed to fix bugs with the 3 in 1 support.
Open beta 3
boost walkthrough display speed.
press A to quit cheat window and rom setting window (don't forget to press save) as opposed to the red dot in upper right of the screen.
fixed dpg support since 1.90 ob
fixed some 3in1 relate bugs.
Open beta 2
add instant save (also known as real time save and savestates)
add instant walkthrough
add individual game setting

instant save compatible not perfect. but acceptable. more develop need.

let's explain how to use the new functions.

first. the new folder
in this version, two folders were added. the "romini" used store every game setting. include the softrerest. cheat option.... etc... "rtssave" store the instant save file and the instant walkthrough file.
----------------------------------------------------
the setting
highlight a new rom, press START or press the Orange button on lower screen. the rom setting window will be popup.
the option list below

Softrest. as it said. enable it to enable softreset and below function
InstantSave as it said.
instantwalkthrough to enable it. the TXT file name must same as the rom name, put in "rtssave" folder. when you enable it. the system will generate the walkthrough file. after generate finish. you can choose the walkthrough display color by press COLOR.
Cheat enable the cheat
Cheat engine choose the cheat engine.
Cheatexistence system will check the available cheat file and database when you choose the cheatengine. if cheat availabe, it shows yes, otherwise no.
setcheatoption click to popup cheat window. choose cheat want to enable. and click top right red button to save and quit.

SAVE. the setting will be saved after you click it. then click top right red button to quit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
instant save

press L+R+A+B in game while the instantsave enabled in setting. the menu will popup. you can save or load( once you saved). you may encouter the noise after you quit the menu. just close the DS lid and reopen. the noise will be gone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
instant walkthrough

press L+R+A+B in game while the instantwalkthrough enabled in setting. the menu will popup. scroll to walkthrough and press A. the walkthrough will be displayed. UP an DOWN to scroll. B to quit to game. it will remember which page you readed.
NOTICE to fareast user: you must ensure the txt you put in the rtssave can be read by the EZ5 system internal moonshell txt reader( remember change the language to your native, and the txt save as ANSI, not unicode or utf-8). otherwise you will got only symbols.

two softrest mode.

in rom setting. if only enabled the softrest , no instant save and instantwalkthrouth enabled. you press L+R+A+B will excute the softrest.
once you enabled the instantsave. you must select the reset in the menu after you press L+R+A+B.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3