GBAtemp tournaments and casual game nights: what would YOU like to see?

vstemp.png

Do you like competitive gaming, fighting it out among your peers to prove yourself as the best? Or maybe you prefer a more toned-down casual time to relax, unwind, and play with some friends? Well, GBAtemp is here to answer the call! We plan to host some get-togethers for our members to have fun playing games once every other week, or so. But before we go through with any solid plans, I'd like to hear from YOU guys--what you'd like to see.

The current idea is to have a set day and time, where the staff chooses an online multiplayer game, and our lovely members can join in and play a few rounds together. Be it Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Smash Bros., Overwatch, Rocket League, Fortnite, and more. We'd also host whatever game is being played on the GBAtempTV Twitch account, so that there's a dedicated chatroom and place to interact with everyone.

There also would be tournaments every so often, and all competitors who participate would receive an XP bonus for joining in!

Leave a comment below on what you think of the idea, what games you'd like to see, and other ideas that you might have!

Pokemon Showdown (PC)
Pokemon USUM (3DS)
Overwatch (multi)
Rocket League (multi-crossplay)
Fortnite BR (multi-crossplay)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
Splatoon 2 (Switch)
Pokken DX (Switch)
Monster Hunter (3DS or PS4)
Smash Bros. (3DS or Wii U)

Naderino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a great initiative! I would definitely like to see Smash WiiU happen and would love to partake in such a tournament with such a great community

Reactions: Chary

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
casual game nights: Doom co-op over custom maps(all under an engine called GZDoom). gameplay mods are optional.
tournament: BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle(when it's out)

Last edited by RedoLane,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wipeout Omega Collection (PS4), or the PS3 version but lacks some tracks and might have cheaters.

There are many different play modes (normal with weapon, pure racing without weapon, multi track tournament, survivor, etc.), and lot of tracks (12/10/4? 38 counting 12 reversed tracks)
online hub can be private, though people can't join and watch without participating.
New vehicles are unlocked after playing a lot, so new users might be disadvantaged, but I guess it's the same with Mario kart 8, right?

someone with a good bandwidth will need to stream it, I never tried and I'm not sure I have enough.
I'll try streaming and see if it works.

edit:
I tried streaming, it works but:
1080p has too many artifact and lags too much.
720p still has artifacts and lags.
540p looks bad but it's almost not stream caching.
360p is not caching at all, but looks so bad, you can't even read text so it's not good to look at the ranking board. it has about 5-10 seconds differences from playing my game to appear on twitch.
someone else definitely needs to host the stream.

edit: I streamed Wipeout,
540p look soooo awful. twitch.tv/videos/259565207

Last edited by Cyan,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i'm up for some overwatch, either 1vs1\2vs2 etc, or team up and fight some bad guys

migles: 1, other gbatempers: 0
NINJED i was going to say that: let's get custom match: tempers -VS- modders, i will enjoy the every last secs!!!

laurorual

What are you looking for?
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'd like to see Rocket League, MK8D or Splatoon 2 matches, but please make it on the weekends, so more people can join in and have more fun :P
Also, streaming on YouTube together with twitch is also a good idea

Reactions: Chary and navimor

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Looking like Mario Kart 8DX, Mario Kart 7, and Smash are taking a lead in popularity around here.

Sundays are already established as casual MK8DX days on our Twitch, so Saturdays can work for other casual and competitive streams, I think, as weekends are more popular times. Let me know if there's demand for any other games, but I feel like Smash might be the first one we roll with, as a lot of people have it, and its relatively okayish in ease to stream. Whether its 3DS or Wii U version, is up to you guys.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether its 3DS or Wii U version, is up to you guys.

Split it by who should be available--Meteor7 should run MK8D afternoon-evening and another should run ____ evening into the night.

Ideally, it would be cool if you could split the load between 5-6 of you and have the stream run 24+hours.

--------

someone else definitely needs to host the stream.

Well, personally, Sir, I would donate somewhere between $1.00-$5.00 to help you get better internet; maybe if it was known, other members would be willing to donate.

Maybe set a certain goal that would be reached to cover your upgraded internet speeds for a year.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire,

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games I'd like to play with people on here: competitive Puyo puyo chronicles, phantasy star online episode 1 and 2 (I play online on the gamecube version), smash bros wii u/3ds, monster hunter 4 ultimate, street fighter 4 ultra

Reactions: DarthDub

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't play online really, but I will participate in anything here if it is more in the casual side... or anything if I even have the game.

I guess I would play almost anything from Switch, preferably MK8DX. Or anything from Wii U, perhaps Smash 4 (lol, I'll be out in seconds)... Or some 3DS or XBOX One game, not sure what do I even have in there.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also what momster hunter games for 3ds? @Chary
I'd generally be the one streaming 3DS games, and Monster Hunter is right up my street friend ♪ If you happen to be wanting to play Double Cross, I'd even be able to stream the Switch version and have people join from the 3DS version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But my 3DS is loaded with emulators and 3DS games and DS games and GBA games probably thousands of games in total lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb going with my dad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, are most of those games shovelware?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah gotta buy 3 1tb SD cards for 3ds the entire libraries need archived in my home
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    >buys x3 1TB SD cards
    >stores the entire 3DS library on them
    >installs CFW
    >realised why I wasted loads of money and resources
    +2
    Lol no I clean my sets
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cause it's in my home ready to go
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like uremum
    But 100 games on SNES and Genesis and GBA then TG16 and NES and GB and GBC then all the other random systems and arcade games it all adds up lol
    +1
    Virtual Boy alone has probably 5 games!!! Lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I won't mention any names in chat but some of us wastes $300 on preloaded hdds :tpi:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, The PS5 had none.
    +2
    Lol I spent more than that on a stuffed 4TB drive lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I've yet to fill the 1tb internal drive on my ps5
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, 1) except final fantasy 16. 2) why would I have a console's whole catalogue if most of the games are either shovelware or terrible games?
    Kind of a waste, but the allure of all those games over 100,000
    Some shovel ware with low ratings you might enjoy more than the ratings would sugest
    +1
    Cruisn on the Wii is one of my personal examples of that, it's considered one of the worst games of all time, I loved it and completed it several times.
    +1
    The trick for me was to go into the settings and crank up the Wiimote sensitivity to the max and it gets twitchy but you can win that way lol
    Lots of other games I enjoyed that reviews would say otherwise lol
  • btei @ btei:
    lethal company servers are down rn
  • btei @ btei:
    my pocket pikachu is going crazy rn
    Pocket Pikachu sounds dirty lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Penischu, I choose you.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol