GBAtemp's 2018 Game of the Year Voting: nominations for best fangames/romhacks

thing.png

Welcome to the first part of GBAtemp's 2018 Game of the Year series. Soon, we'll be voting on what our lovely members think was the greatest video game of 2018. The past year has been an excellent showcase of some of the best gaming has to offer, with franchises such as Red Dead Redemption, God of War, Monster Hunter, Super Smash Bros., Mega Man, and more each getting a new game added to their ranks. Independent games also made a splash, with Celeste, Iconoclasts, Into the Breach, and Dead Cells all becoming beloved additions to many gamers' libraries. Plenty of innovative and new games also made their mark on 2018, with Dragon Ball FighterZ, Spider-Man, and Octopath Traveler leading the way.

You can expect the first issue of GBAtemp's GOTY voting to begin in early December, but for right now, we'll be discussing something entirely different. As you likely gleaned from the title, this thread is for our users to decide upon what fan-made game or romhack belongs in the top spot. Hundreds of fan-made games release each year, and it'll be up to you guys to choose which one you think was best.

There's many options to choose from; so long as an unofficial game was made, or had a significant release in 2018, it's fair game. A few examples will be listed below.

Fallout: New California

Project_Brazil_Loading_Screen_1_Replacer_BETA200.jpg

Starting work in 2011, and finishing in 2018, Fallout: New California is a modpack for Fallout: New Vegas that tells a brand new story, with new characters and locations to explore, taking place a few decades before New Vegas does. Over 100 fans banded together to offer help with coding, voice acting, and scripting for the game's 30 hour campaign. It was completed and released in October 2018.

Pokemon: Crystal Clear

AfJDsMh.png

To most, Pokemon follows a very basic pattern. Shockslayer's Pokemon: Crystal Clear decides to take that foundation, and massively shake things up. Using Pokemon Crystal as a base, Crystal Clear allows you to freely explore Kanto and Johto at your leisure and freedom. Thanks to level scaling, players can tackle any gym or trainer they want, in any order, helping make for a fresh, yet familiar experience.

Dio Vento's Pokemon Let's Go Mods

krebLHW.jpg

GBAtemp user Dio Vento has created some patches for the recent Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee games. Ranging from removing trade evolutions, making exclusive wild Pokemon appear regardless of version, and even an increased difficulty mod, all these additions allow players to add that little bit of customization to spice up their Let's Go playthrough.

Sonic Chaos 2018

schaos.jpg

Sonic Chaos was an overlooked title that released on the Sega Game Gear 15 years ago. While the game itself was enjoyed by fans, its portable 8-bit nature held it back from becoming a true classic like its Mega Drive/Genesis counterparts. Now, a team of renown Sonic fangame makers are taking on the challenge of re-creating Sonic Chaos as if it were a 16-bit game, with revamped visuals, physics, and design. Though it is not complete, a demo containing the first two acts has been released as of August 2018.
These are just a handful of some of the most standout fangames/mods/hacks of 2018. If there's a fantastic entry that you want to see make its way to the top, be sure to nominate it in the comments below! The most popular choices will be included in a poll later next month.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Graveblood [GBA Homebrew] in progress

It will be a story-based, quest-style adventure.
You may download and check out the early demo here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gsOtnAZLiEm3W3Slk-MjqEMwvIJIkmr2

DOODdbV.png
6RnqQQo.jpg

4Dlhcex.jpg
LmT2QGv.jpg

Synopsis
Vika and her family just moved to a deaf town, Graveblood. Here she meets with guys who want to use her to get a legendary enchanted book - as told by the legend; the one who will take it, will be cursed, but this book gives a big magical power. They all then get to the abandoned library, where this book is placed and the moment they open the doors, an evil spirit is released and hits the town. So our quest now is to defeat the evil spirit by any means.

Source: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27398.0

Reactions: LogicIsHansom

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I nominate the long awaited fan translation of Shin Megami Tensei If
...perhaps not as impressive as some of the other hacks and mods released this year, but in terms of how long the project took to complete, and SMT If's legacy in the SMT/Persona series, it at least deserves a nom.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1