Hardware Homebrew GCN GCHD MK II Causing issues with Swiss Booting.

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a GCHD MKII and also have Picoboot with Swiss. Swiss boots up just fine when I use the AV Cables but when using the GCHD, it only boots up like 1/10th of the time, the other 9/10 times it just boots the GameCube normally. Any possible fixes for this? I also can't seem to access the GCHD MK II's menu.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it's a power draw issue? I use a GCLoader with swiss and a GCHD MKII with no issues at all.
Perhaps the Picoboot and GCHD together overburden the power supply? Perhaps your power supply is on its last leg, for that matter? Have a spare you can try? (Don't mind me, I have three GCs - perfectly normal, right?)

EDIT: If necessary for the sake of testing that theory can you wire external power to the Picoboot temporarily?

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it's a power draw issue? I use a GCLoader with swiss and a GCHD MKII with no issues at all.
Perhaps the Picoboot and GCHD together overburden the power supply? Perhaps your power supply is on its last leg, for that matter? Have a spare you can try? (Don't mind me, I have three GCs - perfectly normal, right?)

EDIT: If necessary for the sake of testing that theory can you wire external power to the Picoboot temporarily?
What in theory would need recapping if it's the capacitors? There is the internal Power Supply and the Power Brick.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not even suggesting a recap. I'm saying try switching your external power brick if you have a spare or externally power the Picoboot. I wouldn't go as drastic as a recap unless you know it's a power supply issue. Even if it is, wouldn't you rather try a different external PSU before soldering? Should you still want to know, it looks like there is 4 caps on the internal PSU Pic

Nickeleye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is old, but I was having this same exact problem. I thought it was something about the USB-C power conversion I was doing. I tested with a stock GC power supply and had the same problem still. Then I unplugged the GCHD MK-II and plugged in official GC component cables instead and everything booted absolutely normally into swiss repeatedly. So, I'm not sure what this GCHD MK-II is doing, but it seems to really be power hungry.

My question now is: would a carby or pluto board have the same issue or not?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one