Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
25090-atarigcw.jpg

GCW, the company behind the Zero handheld, is raising funds in an attempt to acquire Atari. Their campaign, Reset Atari, aims to purchase the rights to software released between 1972-1996, and then to legally release that software on the GCW Zero. If successful, GCW will not only release classic Atari software, but may also design a new handheld specifically for this purpose. Those who missed out on the GCW Zero's Kickstarter campaign can pledge $150 towards this new goal and receive a Zero in return. For more information about this project and the GCW Zero, please see the links below.

:arrow: Reset Atari @ fundable.com
:arrow: GCW Zero Homepage

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Crowdfunded IP grab.... I had expected it and I have kind of seen things like it before but it is still pretty novel.

All this said though I am always wary of these sorts of projects I am ultimately usually ambivalent on the matter I can see their value. Here, and although I am not a fan of a lot of IP law, this is somewhat different and does not sit right with me as it presently stands. A straight "Atari is now CC0" or proper foundation that allows similar things maybe but this is a bit different.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just let them stay dead, they were never that good anyway and actually produced more crap than good. I'm all for nostalgia but the only point to this is to advertise GCW as something else other than yet another maker of yet another homebrew device and that is all.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the only point to this is to advertise GCW as something else other than yet another maker of yet another homebrew device and that is all.

the ceo of gcw started out as a reseller for the dingoo a320. he then wanted to make a dingoo of his own that fixed many of the issues their community had with it. up until that point, he was just another maker of yet another homebrew device. since then he has wanted to make the gcw zero a legitimate handheld with its own software library. from what i've read (in their irc chat) they already have other systems on board, and the rights to re-release their software on the gcw zero. going for atari is just another step along the way of trying to build something beyond just an open-source gaming device. i don't know if they will reach the status that they are aiming for, and it might just end up that moves like this only advertised the core system. but i wish them luck.

-another world

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So GCW wants to buy Atari with other people's money and the investors don't get anything? No return on investment? Sounds like a good deal for GCW. Oh you get 20 Atari games. I already have all the Atari games on ten different platforms. My advice to GCW is to use your own money, get a loan, or find some investors.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
investors don't get anything? No return on investment?

Pledge Rewards
Pledge $30+
“Reset Atari” T-Shirt. A custom designed t-shirt that shows your support for the cause. Designed exclusively for us by Homage out of high quality materials.

Pledge $45+
Already own a GCW? Top 20 Atari Games and "Reset Atari' T-Shirt. We really appreciate your support, and we'll give you the Top 20 Atari games to add to your GCW-Zero, along with our exclusive Homage t-shirt.

Pledge $150+
GCW Gaming Console with Top 20 Atari Games Pre-loaded. You’ll recieve a GCW console pre-loaded with 20 of the Top Atari Games such as Asteroids, Breakout, Centipede, Missile Command, Pitfall, Pong, Space Invaders, Tempest, and Yar’s Revenge. (The Top 20 Atari Games will only be Pre-Loaded if we are successful in acquiring the licensing from Atari.)

Pledge $500+
Developer Toolkit. You’ll get a developer toolkit with 24/7 support and advertising in the app store.

Pledge $2,000+
Full Size Vintage Arcade game. You’ve always dreamed of owning a classic at home. We’ll deliver you from a select list one of Atari’s classics.

Pledge $7,500+
Custom-designed Arkeg. The best of both worlds! A customized arcarde cabinet including whatever side art and banner top you want, and a massive supply of your favorite tapped beverage. Pure heaven.

-another world

Reactions: TyBlood13

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just let them stay dead, they were never that good anyway and actually produced more crap than good. I'm all for nostalgia but the only point to this is to advertise GCW as something else other than yet another maker of yet another homebrew device and that is all.

REALLY? Hmm... Seems to me that if there wasn't a Jay Minor that most of the technology you enjoy today probably wouldn't even exist. It was his ideas that went into the Atari 8-bit line of computers and then later shaped the Commodore Amiga which shaped many of the standards we take for granted today.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
REALLY? Hmm... Seems to me that if there wasn't a Jay Minor that most of the technology you enjoy today probably wouldn't even exist. It was his ideas that went into the Atari 8-bit line of computers and then later shaped the Commodore Amiga which shaped many of the standards we take for granted today.
Not really, you make out that there wasn't anyone else back then. All I'm saying it's best to leave Atari dead and buried instead of digging up the name and pissing on it even further. It's a curse anyway. :P

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, you make out that there wasn't anyone else back then. All I'm saying it's best to leave Atari dead and buried instead of digging up the name and pissing on it even further. It's a curse anyway. :P

No there were others back then. Some were amazing and remain unknown, and some were hacks that rose to the top ripping off other's hard work.

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I don't get it either, they want to buy the Atari Brand with my money?
These Fundrising things should be there to help Indies out and not to let them become Mega Corporations...
And what if the 250.000$ aren't high enough to win the auction?
The fact that this isn't on Kickstarter just displays the dubious nature of this project.

I am sorry, I love the GCW and I did put gladly my money on it, but the Atari Brand does not belong to them.

Atari has to be free, we need a Fundraising with the aim to buy the Brand and make it Open Domain, anything else is Bullshit.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Here we go again :/

Couldn't they use profits AFTER the GCW came out to acquire the IP rather than get us to foot the bill again xD

Edit: Sure you can get a GCW for 150 bucks backing this and all that but I dunno I cant help feeling there taking us for a ride / granted like we are ravenous dogs desperate for this handheld

Next I am waiting for them Kickstarting so they can get a Licence to release some old school Sega Genesis / Megadrive games so on so forth...

Surkow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kickstarter money will not be used to buy Atari IP. It will be used to buy the Kickstarter rewards and to employ developers to work on the device.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pledge Rewards
Pledge $30+
“Reset Atari” T-Shirt. A custom designed t-shirt that shows your support for the cause. Designed exclusively for us by Homage out of high quality materials.

Pledge $45+
Already own a GCW? Top 20 Atari Games and "Reset Atari' T-Shirt. We really appreciate your support, and we'll give you the Top 20 Atari games to add to your GCW-Zero, along with our exclusive Homage t-shirt.

Pledge $150+
GCW Gaming Console with Top 20 Atari Games Pre-loaded. You’ll recieve a GCW console pre-loaded with 20 of the Top Atari Games such as Asteroids, Breakout, Centipede, Missile Command, Pitfall, Pong, Space Invaders, Tempest, and Yar’s Revenge. (The Top 20 Atari Games will only be Pre-Loaded if we are successful in acquiring the licensing from Atari.)

Pledge $500+
Developer Toolkit. You’ll get a developer toolkit with 24/7 support and advertising in the app store.

Pledge $2,000+
Full Size Vintage Arcade game. You’ve always dreamed of owning a classic at home. We’ll deliver you from a select list one of Atari’s classics.

Pledge $7,500+
Custom-designed Arkeg. The best of both worlds! A customized arcarde cabinet including whatever side art and banner top you want, and a massive supply of your favorite tapped beverage. Pure heaven.

-another world
That early seems like a good deal. Pay full blown retail and we at GCW will keep all the money we make from licencing on a multitude of platforms. I'd give them give them 150k for a return on investment plus 20% on licensing profits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Temp is back back again