Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This so far has happened to me in the following games:

Aero The Acro-Bat
Pac-In-Time
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Fixed)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Fixed)

How do I get the audio problems fixed for SNES games that have scratchy sound? I've even heard that Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures has them as well. I also find it odd that Aero The Acro-Bat 2 had no crackling sound, but the first one did. I got TMNT4 and ZAMN fixed by downloading the CIA files that patched the sound bug. How do I do that with Ultimate SNES Injector?

Last edited by CodyMitchel2,

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know anything about cia files that patch a sound bug but I've always put some SNES VC titles having terrible sound down to a general incompatibility.

Super Aleste also boots but suffers badly from poor / scratchy sound. This probably isn't what you want to hear but I got over these issues by not using SNES VC anymore.

Aside from the chance that your game might sound like crap (and will always be super low in volume) I've come across numerous graphical glitches whilst using it that don't materialise when using other 3DS SNES emulation options.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like RetroArch, that has way more issues than Nintendo's official VC emulator. At worst, the official VC emulator only has minor sound scratching issues. RetroArch has a lot of problems like slowdowns and graphical glitches. (Mainly with the SA1 and Super FX games)

So far, a lot of games run flawlessly; Super Mario All-Stars, ActRaiser, and Soul Blazer, to name a few. The scratching sound is the only compatibility issue I found with Nintendo's official SNES emulator, otherwise games run fine. I don't really think there would be any graphical issues with Nintendo's official VC emulator unless it was a very complex game to emulate like Star Ocean.

I can't even play Super Mario RPG flawlessly; I can either play it at full speed and deal with graphical and layering issues, or no GFX issues but a bit of slowdown, during battles. Same goes with Kirby's Dream Land 3, if it runs full speed, the layering issues render the trees and water non-transparent. So far, only Kirby's Super Star was the only game I had no issues with. Yoshi's Island lags pretty badly on the first level and I couldn't even get Star Fox to boot up.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No 3DS Snes emulation solution is perfect - audio / visual accuracy and compatibility will vary with all of them and will be dependent on the ROMs you're using as well. If you're particularly into Super FX / SA-1 games Bubble's Snes 9X for O3DS might be your best bet though, as always with these ones your mileage may vary (Starfox runs well - if a touch fast, the last time I checked).

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No 3DS Snes emulation solution is perfect - audio / visual accuracy and compatibility will vary with all of them and will be dependent on the ROMs you're using as well. If you're particularly into Super FX / SA-1 games Bubble's Snes 9X for O3DS might be your best bet though, as always with these ones your mileage may vary (Starfox runs well - if a touch fast, the last time I checked).
Do I have to sacrifice speed over accuracy (in terms of GFX) if I use Bubble's SNES9X build?

Also, I'm pretty sure that N3DS SNES emulation is near perfect (other than not being able to emulate the SA1 and Super FX games), however on O3DS, it's pretty shoddy.

Seriously, the N3DS does a better job at emulating SNES games than AtGames does with the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis games on their crappy plug 'n play consoles, especially the handheld versions!

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. I hits 60fps on N3DS and also (mostly) with some of the special chip games. Try it out. It's essential for any 3DS if Snes emulation is a concern.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. I hits 60fps on N3DS and also (mostly) with some of the special chip games. Try it out. It's essential for any 3DS if Snes emulation is a concern.
All the builds I tried with the SA1 games before, either had; full speed and GFX issues or no GFX issues but slowdown. Is that the case here? I ran Super Mario RPG via the SNES Forwarder since the injector is incompatible with games that use the special chips. KDL3 even had the same issues as SMRPG, depending on which was sacrificed over the other; speed or accuracy.

Also, I'd only use it for SA1 and Super FX games since those are the only games the SNES injector is not compatible with. I think some of the sound issues can be fixed. That's how I got TMNT4 and ZAMN to work without any sound issues. I wish there was an actual way I could do it myself, with Aero The Acro-Bat and Pac-In-Time.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It wont be perfect - but might well be better. Maybe Snes emulation on 3DS just wont be acceptable enough for you. For me - between the best of RA (circa stable 1.3.2/3) and the latest Snes 9x for O3DS (Bubble's fork) its more than good enough - but I'm not really into S/FX or SA-1 games. The only perfect way to play those is on real hardware.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wont be perfect - but might well be better. Maybe Snes emulation on 3DS just wont be acceptable enough for you. For me - between the best of RA (circa stable 1.3.2/3) and the latest Snes 9x for O3DS (Bubble's fork) its more than good enough - but I'm not really into S/FX or SA-1 games. The only perfect way to play those is on real hardware.
Really, I've had no issues, other than the scratchy sound on a few ones like Aero The Acro-Bat. I've almost completed ActRaiser and there hasn't been any issues, yet. I've also gotten to the 3rd area in Soul Blazer and played a little bit of SMAS and no issues have occurred yet. In the Wii U VC injected version of SMAS, the top of the underwater ocean stages in world 3 of SMB3 are green, but in the injected 3DS VC version, it's normal and there's no green, around the top of the water and surface. So I guess SNES emulation is as accurate as it is on the Wii U, minus the support for games like Super Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island. On my Galaxy S8 phone, SNES games have very minor sound skipping issues, every 2-5 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes, even with games like KDL3. I'd really love to play SMRPG on my N3DS since the controls are so much better than the MOGA one for my phone, but dealing with very minimal issues like the sound chip not being emulated properly for SFX like thunder, for example is quite annoying but passable for emulation standards. I hate the GFX and layering issues and the slowdown in battle when using special abilities is pretty bad; it goes down to like only 15-20 FPS. If there isn't a near perfect version of SMRPG (emulation or VC inject), I guess I'll just play the official VC version on the Wii U.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I don't know anything about cia files that patch a sound bug but I've always put some SNES VC titles having terrible sound down to a general incompatibility.

Super Aleste also boots but suffers badly from poor / scratchy sound. This probably isn't what you want to hear but I got over these issues by not using SNES VC anymore.

Aside from the chance that your game might sound like crap (and will always be super low in volume) I've come across numerous graphical glitches whilst using it that don't materialise when using other 3DS SNES emulation options.

Did you manage to find a solution to this? A fan translation of the Japanese title got me interested in trying it again:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6513/

But its still got the same crackling sound. Usually setting the volume to 90 when making the CIA file gets round this but not with this title so wondering if you found a fix that still uses VC inject emulation?

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you manage to find a solution to this? A fan translation of the Japanese title got me interested in trying it again:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6513/

But its still got the same crackling sound. Usually setting the volume to 90 when making the CIA file gets round this but not with this title so wondering if you found a fix that still uses VC inject emulation?

Yeah I noticed the new translation too (I wonder of it's any different to the previous one that targeted the alternate JPN release).

I never did find a reasonable fix for this game for N3DS SNES VC or Nintendo's evolved version of this emulator as found on the SNES Classic emubox.

And to be honest, getting into 3DS & SNESC emulation when those scenes were active and encountering accuracy issues like this one eventually pushed me into getting back into using real hardware in a big way (also I missed using a consumer CRT way too much, but I digress).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: would you rather have unlimited bacon but no games, or games, unlimited games, but no more games?