Getting GBXchanger to work again

calebsw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found my old GBXchanger during a move recently, and once I got settled in, I tried to get it to work. I have an old PC with a parallel port and windows xp on it, and I'm trying to use DGBmax, Ucon64, or GBxtool, or gamebox exchanger, and I keep getting errors with them.

I've installed the DLPORTIO driver, the GIVEIO.SYS driver, and tried numerous other things, but I keep failing. I don't know what else to do. I'm using a power cable and not batteries, so I know that's not the issue, and I successfully used the computer to flash with my Flash2Advance linker, so I know the parallel port on this computer is working.

In DGBmax, I can successfully dump my cart, but when I try to flash, it says "X-Changet not enabled." I tried looking around this forum for other people who have tried to use their Xchanger in recent years, but solutions have been either "the cart was dirty" or "I used new batteries" and unfortunately, neither solution for me seems to be that simple.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for what I could do to get this to work? It's really disappointing that I can't get it to work again, and I don't know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edit: Ok, now I've managed to get the cart to be recognized in DGBmax, the icon for the cart shows up in the corner of the app with the right sized cart, so I feel like we finally have connectivity between the cart and computer. But I try to write to the cart, and it says "eeprom write error at bank 1."

In GBXtool, it will start writing, but after a few seconds it says "write_eeprom error!" So even though I've made a little progress, it's still not much. I feel like I'm really on the cusp of figuring this out, and it's driving me mad.

Last edited by calebsw,

calebsw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot all about this post, never thought I'd ever get a response. I was still having trouble with it, but I gave up on it. I'll have to try installing Win98SE. Thanks!

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was like you, and tried two different PC's with the same issues. Went to Windows 98SE and never looked back. Plus, I can go into DOS when I need to write Famicom Disks. I just put in a 120gb HDD, and may do some DOS gaming soon.

I have a Bung Xchanger and two 64mb flash carts for Gameboy. I am reluctant to get an Everdrive due to cost, and I love DGBmax and all it's color palette options (some games look like Gameboy Color games). What is your setup like?

Nice to see someone still exists that likes old school hardware.

Last edited by XC-3730C,

calebsw

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I have this Bung Xchanger and one 64mbit cart since around '99 or so. And DBGmax was so awesome, I was disappointed there was never such a powerful utility for the GBA when it launched a couple years later. Auto-trim roms, the color palettes, easily renaming roms, and a nice interface too. Such a great tool.

Aside from cost, the reason I didn't get an everdrive, is because it seems a little annoying to have to load the game into ram before you can play it. The Bung carts were great because you didn't have to do that, you only had to go through the 5-10 minute write process once with a PC beforehand.

You mention going into dos to write famicom disks, you have a flash cart type thing for famicom too? The late 90s was when I got into flash carts stuff. I got a Z64 for the N64, and the GB Xchanger about the same time, and I realized I would be doing this for the rest of my gaming life, lol. Never had anything for any of the older systems, though.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an everdrive n8 Famicom cart. I write on actual Famicom Disks with my old school PC and special cable in DOS.

I wish I could get another Z64, since my CD64 kinda sucks

I also have three 256mb F2A Gameboy Advance flash carts, and something called a GB Bridge for using them with Gameboy, but I need to replace the batteries on those

Last edited by XC-3730C,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really...