girls in gaming industry

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
Trophies
XP
Country
Getting or not getting a job should be about skill; it may or may not work like that sometimes, but thats just how things are.
If working in the game industry is your dream then do something about it, yes you might be different than "most people" but isn't that what we are? Diverse human beings? Get over the numbers of who does what job and try to shine as much as you can.

Even if you can't get a job, a big percent of how far you can go has to do with skill and determination; Hell, even create your own company or do independent work.

It's your life people, where do you want to go?

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
Raestloz said:
Sex doesn't really matter in gaming industry

you are a man, you would say that.
No man would ever say that "sex doesn't matter"
laugh.gif

Sorry for going off-topic - just thought it needed clearing up

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's pretty obvious sex doesn't matter but the amount that can actually get into the gaming industry is very limited... Another way to view it is like going to a professional school like medical/law school. Good job, little openings.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
At larger companies it's probably a big plus to be female, they can spend money on less competent people, and they have more positions which fit the female gender better. By better fit positions I mean less coders and more designers or even secretaries, cleaning ladies, accountant etc etc. The smaller ones want great competence and more all round people then it's no plus at all being female. As long as you work great in a group and can find what you want to do.

However the "optimal" game developer is the person who knows alittle about everything. Flexibility is probably the most sought for skill. As in you know coding (much is summed up in coding tho), you know 3d creation tools, you know game design, you know art.

However, you've got to start out from somewhere and I suggest you figure out first something you want to learn, and learn some of that.

There are very few female coders out there. I wonder why?
smile.gif
There are very few exceptions, but in general female developers are designers of some sort.

I worked at this small game dev company until they had to let go a few people because they couldn't afford. We had two female co-workers there, and both were designers, and they were really great at it. One of them came from the same school as me and she knew a great part about structure in the game development process. Naming conventions, how to update and discuss gaming issues, how to work on the design document, todo-list and so on.

I mean seriously, start out by showing us what you've got to come with.. If you don't have anything, then I suggest you find some school related to the subject you would like to study. Or simply start creating stuff from today!
smile.gif

What kind of games do you want to create? puzzle, platform, rpg, adventure? What would you like to do on that game?

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personaly don't think sex matters (just got chills) in a video game industry. Unless the person who hires people is a sexest, you don't have a problem with that.

I heard somewhere (forgot where) that creating a Mod for an existing game (like Half life 2) and posting it to the public helps you alot in getting a job in that industry.

Just look at Mods like CS (I think the old one was a free mod) and Garry's Mod. They are now full stand-alone games that have their own price tag. They take time and a good Mod team so start out slow and find some people that know stuff. Look at Synergy, HL:2 RTS, and other Mods. Now, just because I'm nameing HL mods doesn't mean you should only make HL mods, Just they seem the easyest to make. (look, not are)

Again, this what I heard somewhere, still can't remember where
unsure.gif

esoterica

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Um, I don't plan to start off with a "cleaning lady" or secretary job, I find that a little offensive that you think that's the only way us "less competent" women can get a start in the gaming industry. I mean, why not just blow the CEO there and see if he'll give you a job instead?

Sex always matters a little... especially with more male dominated jobs. I mean, wouldn't you think it was a little weird to see a female car mechanic?

There are several schools near my area that offer gaming majors, one being Game Art & Design, and the other being Computer Game Simulation and Programming. I do realize the market is very competitive, which is why I have my doubts about pursuing this industry. Or at least, it seems like it'd be difficult to land a position at a company thats worth a crap.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
esoterica said:
Um, I don't plan to start off with a "cleaning lady" or secretary job, I find that a little offensive that you think that's the only way us "less competent" women can get a start in the gaming industry. I mean, why not just blow the CEO there and see if he'll give you a job instead?

Sex always matters a little... especially with more male dominated jobs. I mean, wouldn't you think it was a little weird to see a female car mechanic?

There are several schools near my area that offer gaming majors, one being Game Art & Design, and the other being Computer Game Simulation and Programming. I do realize the market is very competitive, which is why I have my doubts about pursuing this industry. Or at least, it seems like it'd be difficult to land a position at a company thats worth a crap.

exactly, well said, and thats good there are gaming related courses that you can take, go for it.

QUOTE(Licardo7 @ Nov 14 2008, 11:01 PM) I personaly don't think sex matters (just got chills) in a video game industry.

did you know that jade was there to sell the game assassins creed? it was part of the hype, sex sells, that is the only reason she did the developer interviews, because ubisoft knew they can get more men to buy the game, i was personally disgusted by it.

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wasn't she a programer or the sails girl to attract guys thatb will jag-off to her pic? So.......ubisoft what's men to buy a item that cost $50 that has ansolutly no content of Jade in the game
wtf.gif
I mean, if they want to get jag-offs to buy the game they should have a topless scene in it.

That's just stupid thinking.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
esoterica said:
I just want to get an opinion on this. I'm a 23 year old female who has always wanted a job in the video game industry. I feel like most girls are not taken seriously in this genre, but I truly consider myself a hardcore gamer. I know that because I almost never buy clothes, and spend all my money on upgrades for my computer or new games and consoles. Anyways, I felt like a job in the gaming industry would be unrealistic, but I feel like I have a really good perspective on it. Do you think it would be pointless to pursue a career in this industry? I have a lot of friends who have engineering degrees but can't even find a decent job because of the economy. I don't want to end up with a useless degree and a huge amount of financial debt.

You are weird.. Sex doesn't matter in gaming industrial so go for it. Men and Women are created equals in America and that's it. Stop worry because you are female. Go for it. Man, you are weird.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically speaking, it is true. Sex DOES infact matter. Sex DOES sell. But, it doesn't matter when it comes to experience. If you can prove yourself to be better then majority of the people, there's no excuse that you wouldn't be chosen over the others. You just gotta work hard at it.

Honestly speaking, there will be someone who finds it weird because you're a female in the gaming industry. Heck, that would catch my attention as well 'cause of the stereotype that's stuck in a lot of people's mind from media, but it doesn't matter as long as you have a passion for it. People will get used to it. Don't let it bother you.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jalaneme said:
zidane_genome said:
sexist remark : get really hot, and apply at G4 TV for a host position on a TV show.

i think that is the only way a woman would get a job doing games is to be a sex object, that girl who works on assassins creed is a good example.

Shit, this is the most sexist thing in this thread, and you are a girl. Have you no hope for your own gender?

Galacta

>:)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
science said:
jalaneme said:
zidane_genome said:
sexist remark : get really hot, and apply at G4 TV for a host position on a TV show.

i think that is the only way a woman would get a job doing games is to be a sex object, that girl who works on assassins creed is a good example.

Shit, this is the most sexist thing in this thread, and you are a girl. Have you no hope for your own gender?
I think they dont.
Youll be fine! A girl can go into the gaming industry!
yaypsp.gif
yaynds.gif
gbasp.gif
grog.gif

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
esoterica said:

You find reality offensive? I'm simply stating jobs I know people at gaming companies have. Oh and I forgot to mention beta tester. beta tester is a way to work up to game designer for some.
Ofcourse you were maybe thinking of job positions like game designer, artist, 3d modeller, texturerer, animator? I'm sure you can get any of those, however you need experience and something to show up.

yes ofcourse it's a competitive market, we want to work with the best people in the industry. I'm a game developer myself, but since I want to create my own games, I'm going to have to start my own company and work myself up from that way. I'm planning to do so this summer. One of my best friends animated Faith in Mirror's Edge, so I definatly know people in the industry.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sex does matter in this part, I think. I do not mean sex as sex, but as the male sex and the female sex...
Gaming industry, you work in big groups. There are many men working with games, and therefore being a woman is something good that people will hire you for, if you have the skills tho... mixed sex groups tend to be more productive and innovative, female and male point of views, female and male thoughts, female and male values...
So there needs to be more game-women, so those mixed sex groups can form.

(and something this also applies to: School. many classes have like 50/50 girls /boys.. i went to a class with 30 guys and one girl... the class doesn't develop as far as other classes do, it's just not as good.)

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol Isaac, I'm in the technological branch at my high school and its 25 boys/3 girls (myself included).
Many "alpha-males" act like three year olds
sleep.gif

Waddle Dee

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Too many people are sexist about this kind of thing -- but the people who make the games aren't If you get a good tech degree in college, sex shouldn't matter if you want a job. Just make sure you don't suck.

Just a point, a ton of girls make video games. Even people who worked on Zelda: twighlight princess were female, just not all of them XD

Join a good company, don't be stuck making shitty wii games for little girls and grandparents.

esoterica

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I think I'm going to feel a little out of place when I start the classes next semester. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only female in the class, or one of the only 2-3, but as long as I'm not treated as a piece of meat, it's cool.

Of course I'm not saying there are no females in the industry, it just seems very male dominated. But I'm sure they have females creating those "Ponyz" and "Nancy Drew's Mansion hunt" or some crap like that. Not that I'm aiming for that in particular. Oh, and I have no doubt that they used Jade Raymond to sell Assassin's Creed. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have put a fat old dude up there.

Waddle Dee

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, good luck -- and, truely, it won't be male dominated. Too many sexist people in the world. For example, it used to be "girls can't play video games." I go my ass handed to me in Super Smash Bros. Brawl by a girl. Then it was "all gaming girls are fat, ugly skanks." Well, Morgan Webb (G4, Xplay) is defnitly not fa, but might be a skank... plus, there's even a girl who plays Dead or Alive 4 professionally. Y'know, the fighting game with great breast physics?

Givin you'll have to deal with a little sexism (too many video gaming girls are portrayed, uhm... "unrealistically.") it won't b nearly as bad as you think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn