Got Switch Online?

download.jpeg

Nintendo's Online service launched last week for Switch, and we would like to know how many of you have signed up!

Please answer the poll and comment on what you think of Nintendo's new paid Switch Online service.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't, but only because I have nothing to play online. Once Smash Bros comes out I definitely will. It's not very expensive. Like $25 for a year? lol.

Would be nice if they actually improved their servers with this new source of revenue.
Servers? Pff, it's peer to peer for god sake :rofl2:

And lmao that poll results :rofl2:

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was only $20 for an annual sub. I figured why not, after all if they make money on the service, I would expect them to go ahead with additions to the service in the future.

Related topic: anyone know why the Nes controllers you can purchase have l and r buttons if they are only usable with the new games? We know those were added in the snes controller .maybe a sign?

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I haven't paid yet, but I'll buy the family pass for my brother and I once the week is up. My brother has a couple friends who are willing to split the cost, so I'll just be charging 'em all $5 each 'till we hit 8. If we don't hit 8, I'll just absorb the remainder cost so it's a flat $5 from everybody.

It's still exceedingly stupid that we're forced to pay for essentially nothing. Nintendo doesn't even have proper servers in their games, everything's peer to peer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It was only $20 for an annual sub. I figured why not, after all if they make money on the service, I would expect them to go ahead with additions to the service in the future.

Related topic: anyone know why the Nes controllers you can purchase have l and r buttons if they are only usable with the new games? We know those were added in the snes controller .maybe a sign?
I thought they expressed interest at one point in adding SNES games, no? I'd assume the L and R buttons are for forward compatibility for anything they might plan to do with them later, like SNES games.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

To access the menu. ZL+ZR is the combo to bring it up.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have no plans to sign up for Nintendo's paid service. I don't really play online the only way that I would sign up is if Nintendo made it mandatory in order to use the e shop. Speaking of the e shop I'm still wondering why we can get free games on the Nintendo Switch & not the 3ds regardless of the cdn change

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't paid yet, but I'll buy the family pass for my brother and I once the week is up. My brother has a couple friends who are willing to split the cost, so I'll just be charging 'em all $5 each 'till we hit 8. If we don't hit 8, I'll just absorb the remainder cost so it's a flat $5 from everybody.

It's still exceedingly stupid that we're forced to pay for essentially nothing. Nintendo doesn't even have proper servers in their games, everything's peer to peer.

I thought they expressed interest at one point in adding SNES games, no? I'd assume the L and R buttons are for forward compatibility for anything they might plan to do with them later, like SNES games.
Maybe so. I just found it silly to limit it to the new games and still include the buttons. Then again, attaching them like joy cons seems silly also. A USB port would have made more since to me. Well, here's hoping we get more bang for our buck in the coming year.

To access the menu. ZL+ZR is the combo to bring it up.
I really wasn't think of that. Makes sense. Just killed hope for she's. Thanks....

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haaaaa funny joke, multiplayer is fun and all, but our baby Ninty. After all these years of free multiplayer, I will decline, even the app which is still terribly buggy and not worth even having, why haven't they fixed it before Online released? They had
plenty of time to do it, so why didn't they?

And also I enjoy homebrew, piracy, and the like so being banned isn't that big of a deal :3

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might subscribe just to play mario kart 8 and splatoon 2. however, the main thing I'm interested in is cloud saving. I had a corrupted save with mega man x3 once, and I'd really like for that not to happen again. luckily, I wasn't very far, but I don't remember that ever happening on the 360 or the ps3. :-/ I"ll just blame capcom for that one. :D

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
So your solution is to stop doing what I love because I find it hard to afford paying for an online service that brings nothing to the table apart from 30 years old games?
No 1/3 of an AAA game is not ''a lot'' of money if they can justify it, but it is a lot of money for being able to connect to the servers.
If you are wealthy enough to afford paying, then awesome for you dude. Feed them with your wallet so that they never improve.
I on the other side can't and thats ok.

Oh, when I was in my early-mid teens, most of my money went towards my parents to help them out of debt so theres that. I have no savings from back then but I have good memories:)
It's all about making sacrifices. Sacrifice a new game to pay for Online. If you can't sacrifice a game then I have no idea how you are paying for this expensive hobby.

Not all countries have the same minimum wage, you know?
Living in North America sure has that benefit over it, but Latin America has it rough for such costs, given how absurd the minimum wage is, and add to it the fact that the price of msot LA countries' money against the dollar is at its lowest it has been in decades.
Even if the price seems cheap for people in NA/EU, other countries do struggle to even pay for one $20 bucks game, much less a full $60 dlls game, which in some countries that translates to a week-and-a-half to 2 weeks of minimum wage paid work.
U.S. is pretty well off in material terms. What we call the Poor in United States is what they call Upper Middle class in Mexico. And it looks the the guy lives in the U.S.

Then gaming is a terrible hobby to have, because it's not cheap. 1/3 of a new game's cost per YEAR should not be difficult for anyone. Even as a 11 year old kid I was making enough with my paper route per month to pay for a year of sub.
I agree, it's all about making sacrifices. You can't have everything you want.

Last edited by SG854,

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all about making sacrifices. Sacrifice a new game to pay for Online. If you can't sacrifice a game then I have no idea how you are paying for this expensive hobby.

U.S. is pretty well off in material terms. What we call the Poor in United States is what they Upper Middle class is in Mexico. And it looks the the guy lives in the U.S.

I agree, it's all about making sacrifices. You can't have everything you want.
Reread what I wrote.
Sacrifice a game to gain basically nothing? Thats a bit stupid dont you think?
I could get a Hollow Knight and Celeste for that money and probably enjoy both games for several months.

Sure give me a free game every month (even some indie games damn it) like Sony does and Ill gladly dish out 20$.

Last edited by radicalwookie,

D-Jay

High rulez
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've subscribed for a family account because I play MK8 nearly every day.
And... hopefully Nintendo will work on the Netcode if we have to pay for it.

Btw: I anybody wants to save some money, I have s few slots in the family account open. The more people are in, the lower are the costs for it.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've subscribed for a family account because I play MK8 nearly every day.
And... hopefully Nintendo will work on the Netcode if we have to pay for it.

Btw: I anybody wants to save some money, I have s few slots in the family account open. The more people are in, the lower are the costs for it.
I suggest you not to share that kind of thing
IDK if it works that way, but I guess if one of your subscriber hack his console, maybe all subscriber to your account will get banned

As I said, IDK if it works that way

Reactions: D-Jay

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Online? You mean that no regulations, no voicechat, no invite system, no proper anticheat system, full of hackers and dcs, p2p, thingy?
It's a crappy online, either buy it or don't if you don't like it.
If you don't like it then I have no idea why you would complain about not affording to buy it in the first place if you didn't want it.
If the crappy online is the issue then its not the money its the service that Nintendo offers, you would have to take it up with how they run things.

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest you not to share that kind of thing
IDK if it works that way, but I guess if one of your subscriber hack his console, maybe all subscriber to your account will get banned

As I said, IDK if it works that way
I highly doubt that to be honest.

@SG854 I meant that its hard to justify such price when then arent offering us basically any benefits apart from the really poorly maintained online play. I hope that changes because last months of Splatoon were unbearable in ranked online.

I love Good old Nintendo I just want to see them being a bit more "giving" you know. One free game per month wouldnt hurt them :S

Last edited by radicalwookie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...