Got Switch Online?

download.jpeg

Nintendo's Online service launched last week for Switch, and we would like to know how many of you have signed up!

Please answer the poll and comment on what you think of Nintendo's new paid Switch Online service.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, you should consider us as lucky to not having paid for Nintendo online service so far
Because as it has been said, servers cost money to run them

That's just backwards anti-consumer talk. Nintendo are a billion dollar company, they can afford to run the servers, how do you think we got this far with no pay wall? Because they can easily afford to run them free as Sony and Ms could too. Difference with Sony and ms is they have 50x the multiplayer library Nintendo has and give away decent games each month that switch would never be able to match.
Need to stop defending these big companies, they can easily afford to run the servers at no cost to us evidenced by the DS, 3ds, Wii, WiiU & even the switch. It's not a service it's a removal of a feature you had when you bought it and you are forced to pay if you want that feature back,not consumer friendly at all, very unlike Nintendo to pull that crap

Reactions: sleepymanakete

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's just backwards anti-consumer talk. Nintendo are a billion dollar company, they can afford to run the servers, how do you think we got this far with no pay wall? Because they can easily afford to run them free as Sony and Ms could too. Difference with Sony and ms is they have 50x the multiplayer library Nintendo has and give away decent games each month that switch would never be able to match.
Need to stop defending these big companies, they can easily afford to run the servers at no cost to us evidenced by the DS, 3ds, Wii, WiiU & even the switch. It's not a service it's a removal of a feature you had when you bought it and you are forced to pay if you want that feature back,not consumer friendly at all, very unlike Nintendo to pull that crap
wow... you mean Microsoft and Sony aren't billion dollar company
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow... you mean Microsoft and Sony aren't billion dollar company
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Nitpicking my post because it's all facts.
Yes they are, but provide far more than Nintendo ever could, even though the online should be free on all systems, at least Microsoft lets you play free play weekends of some latest games, 6 games free every month, some decent ones, Nintendo could never live up to that, their multiplayer library is so small and yeah, people shouldn't have to pay to play Nintendo online

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So they should just take the loss because they can afford it? What kind of sense does that make? Nintendo are a business, not a charity. I agree with Noctosphere.
I'd like it to stay free as much as anyone, but it was never going to last forever with the way things are headed, and you honestly can't expect them to keep putting money into servers that they don't make anything back from.

Reactions: Noctosphere

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they should just take the loss because they can afford it? What kind of sense does that make? Nintendo are a business, not a charity. I agree with Noctosphere.
I'd like it to stay free as much as anyone, but it was never going to last forever with the way things are headed, and you honestly can't expect them to keep putting money into servers that they don't make anything back from.

But the way things have been going, loot crates, pay to win, on disc dlc and now Nintendo joining in on that huge negative of extra payments for their things is not good for us, the consumer and we should do what we can to say no we don't want that crap, just keep it pure and clean. Nintendo should of marketed the fact that their online is free and I think they may be in a better position game library wise and player base wise

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even P2P?
So people who still play Wii online without Nintendo's servers pay for it? I want to know.
what do you mean by P2P? Pay to play?
well, unless there is nothing you can do offline, it's not P2P

Unlike World of Warcraft, where you need to buy the game AND a subscription, you cant do shit without subscription

So no, I doubt any Nintendo games are gonna be P2P
Unless you think that not P2P means all games for free ;)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
But the way things have been going, loot crates, pay to win, on disc dlc and now Nintendo joining in on that huge negative of extra payments for their things is not good for us, the consumer and we should do what we can to say no we don't want that crap, just keep it pure and clean. Nintendo should of marketed the fact that their online is free and I think they may be in a better position game library wise and player base wise
That is true, but you have to see it from their side too. Free online never benefited them, because it was such a bad experience compared to the other consoles that people for the most part preferred to pretend it didn't exist at all, so it was like burning money. That's still something they need to work on, but at least now that they're charging money for it, they can afford better servers, and maybe we will see some of that money trickle down in the form of better and more online support in games thanks to a bigger budget. If the online experience was better, I don't think anyone would be complaining.

But anyway, now they have an incentive to push online in each and every game they release. The days of being stuck playing Mario Party locally might be over.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I don't know what saddens me more, the lack of a robust NES library from the get go, or the fact people have such low standards that they're convincing themselves that they're a-okay with how Nintendo is handling it.
I still remember the Wii being announced for the very first time. I thought the Virtual Console would be the best thing ever... I thought it was for free. lol
How wrong I was.

what do you mean by P2P? Pay to play?
well, unless there is nothing you can do offline, it's not P2P
P2P is person to person. Unlike dedicated servers.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is true, but you have to see it from their side too. Free online never benefited them, because it was such a bad experience compared to the other consoles that people for the most part preferred to pretend it didn't exist at all, so it was like burning money. That's still something they need to work on, but at least now that they're charging money for it, they can afford better servers, and maybe we will see some of that money trickle down in the form of better and more online support in games thanks to a bigger budget. If the online experience was better, I don't think anyone would be complaining.

I never had a problem with Nintendos online in the past, experienced very few issues or disconnections. Only thing was friend codes, but that's there because of the kids player base. I mainly only play Mario kart online anyway and played a lot of mw3 back in 2011, couldn't fault the online system back then and don't see it massively improving, people are just going to be paying for what they had free a month ago.
I don't own a switch yet and possibly never will because of all the ported games I've already used up on other systems and now having to pay for online on Nintendo, I can't see myself ever paying them, just fighting for what's right for us consumers

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I never had a problem with Nintendos online in the past, experienced very few issues or disconnections. Only thing was friend codes, but that's there because of the kids player base. I mainly only play Mario kart online anyway and played a lot of mw3 back in 2011, couldn't fault the online system back then and don't see it massively improving, people are just going to be paying for what they had free a month ago.
I don't own a switch yet and possibly never will because of all the ported games I've already used up on other systems and now having to pay for online on Nintendo, I can't see myself ever paying them, just fighting for what's right for us consumers
Mario Kart was mostly fine, even when there was lag it didn't affect the game much. Smash is basically unplayable online though, and always has been. It's games like that where frame perfect movements are important that will benefit the most from better servers, because they can't just try to use prediction to estimate the movement of players, every single movement has to be transmitted.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

YetoJesse

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yup.
Seriously tho, 35buck for a year for 8 accounts. that's 1 free user to go online for a year and the others pay 5bucks each.
Me, best friend, my girl, my mom and her friend. got some space left.
Even so, I got it mainly for me and my best friend. saves us 2.50 each...

I wish to see this stuff evolve, the only thing that grinds my gears is the wait for the SwitchPro which we ALL know will come soon after all these bundles have died out...

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
and played a lot of mw3 back in 2011, couldn't fault the online system back then and don't see it massively improving, people are just going to be paying for what they had free a month ago.
Good times.
MW3 uses Activition's servers btw, which brings me back to my earlier question: Does a player-to-player online service still cost money in terms of server costs?
Then how do people still play Wii (most Mario Kart Wii) online? Does somebody pay for servers?

Reactions: |<roni&g

AkitoUF

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
No, it's not worth it and it's not going to be worth it. I love Nintendo and all that but their online service offers less than others did for free.
Bummer, I play Monster Hunter a lot but I guess I'll have to play the entirety of GU solo and maybe Smash too when it's out.
Also, I think Save Back Up should be something you get for free. You already paid for the whole console and the legit games, that is not enough?

McWhiters9511

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in my personal opinion if i have to pay an extra 20 a year to continue playing splatoon 2 online it isnt a big deal. the price isnt outrageous. all the other features are nice too. Plus i feel that 420 for all those NES games is kinda worth it too

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I logged in to comment on the negativity towards Nintendo about this service. I mean you guys are really pissed about this and I usually agree with the overall group think but on this one, no. Nintendo had always been upfront with us and told us that later on the switch online service will not be free, why are you surprised?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I logged in to comment on the negativity towards Nintendo about this service. I mean you guys are really pissed about this and I usually agree with the overall group think but on this one, no. Nintendo had always been upfront with us and told us that later on the switch online service will not be free, why are you surprised?
They just need something to complain about. It's not entirely unjustified as it's the same exact system as last month, but with NES games. The fact of the matter is that the incentives for paid online aren't exactly the best right now and it's insulting when you compare it to other services.

Forcing us to use a secondary device for voice chat? Yeah, it's not new. Now we're paying for it. At this point, discord is still the way to go.

There's a lot they can and should add to actually give users a reason to WANT to pay for this service. Right now, it's just a charge to a card to continue the elongated trial that is a gimped service.

Last edited by Kioku,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
actually, you should consider us as lucky to not having paid for Nintendo online service so far
Because as it has been said, servers cost money to run them
It's funny... Now that I'm paying to play Splatoon 2, I get more disconnects than I previously did. Lucky me? :unsure:

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not getting it unless they make actual servers for games like splatoon 2, until then im wiping my ass with the 20 dollar bill that theyre asking for. Also most of the games I played online on the switch have a very small online population on the switch and have a much bigger one on PC or PS4 so I'll just be getting them on PC and enjoy the free online as well as the bigger playerbase (games like bomberman R, blazblue CTB and puyo puyo tetris)

Reactions: |<roni&g

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Shubshub
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys when i get back on discord i'm making my pfp the smug DK face